follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by conehead View Post
Omg dude, you again? Did you even read what I wrote? YOUR insurance doesn't cover that stuff because that is specified in your insurance contract. But if you are not at fault, you haven't made that agreement with the other person's insurance. Then have to pay for all of that. This just happened to me. Do you think the other insurance company paid me more because they "misunderstood"?
I think that the objection to your statements is more that you are applying them to everybody. Not everybody is in California and has the exact same coverage you do. There are 12 States that have no fault systems where your whole argument is invalid. In a no fault system you will not be paid a penny for your mods unless you had them included in your policy and even rental coverage depends on if you included that in the coverage. Doesn't matter who was at fault since everything goes through your insurance. Even in the fault States different policies mean different coverage whether you are at fault or not.

There are hundreds of variables depending on location and policy (for example I have replacement coverage so if my car get's totaled I get one a model year newer no matter what that costs it isn't just the value of my car) and this is why these discussions can go sideways so fast since everybody like to say "well I got..."
Dadhawk (06-28-2019), soundman98 (06-28-2019), why? (06-29-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 04:53 PM   #44
Myriad

Drives: 2017 86, 2012 Tundra, 1999 Integra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
bunch of dirty minds out there..
Thanks for the big laugh on your original post! That’s comedy gold, right there. Why do I see this making it into a sitcom one day? If I ever write a screenplay I might have to ask for permission to use that!

Myriad
Myriad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Myriad For This Useful Post:
HKz (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 05:48 PM   #45
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
How so? I’m on 7.0 /100km (=33.6 mpg). I thought that was pretty normal?
All stop-go-stop-go city driving. Or maybe it's defective?
bkharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:28 AM   #46
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Omg dude, you again? Did you even read what I wrote? YOUR insurance doesn't cover that stuff because that is specified in your insurance contract. But if you are not at fault, you haven't made that agreement with the other person's insurance. Then have to pay for all of that. This just happened to me. Do you think the other insurance company paid me more because they "misunderstood"?
You said you had to fight for it for 2 months. That does not make it sound like they just were going to cover everything without a fight. Did you misspeak? Or did you have to fight them?

I've seen fights with insurance companies that lasted so long the repair place took ownership of the vehicle because the vehicle was worth less than the storage fees, because the insurance companies decided fighting for years was a better deal than repairing the car. Every time you have to deal with an insurance company is a fight. That's the reality we all face.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:05 PM   #47
conehead

Drives: RS 2.0
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
You said you had to fight for it for 2 months. That does not make it sound like they just were going to cover everything without a fight. Did you misspeak? Or did you have to fight them?

I've seen fights with insurance companies that lasted so long the repair place took ownership of the vehicle because the vehicle was worth less than the storage fees, because the insurance companies decided fighting for years was a better deal than repairing the car. Every time you have to deal with an insurance company is a fight. That's the reality we all face.

Of course I had to fight with them, it is a negotiation. I had to point out every missing option, and all of the things I just listed, and provide receipts. The adjuster's job is to give you less than what you are owed, and they practice all of their tricks every day. They rely on your ignorance.

I'm sure there are many differences in each state as @Tcoat said. I gave my recent personal example as one explanation for the original question, and you told me all of that was wrong and I just didn't understand.
conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to conehead For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-29-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #48
why?

Quote:
Of course I had to fight with them, it is a negotiation. I had to point out every missing option, and all of the things I just listed, and provide receipts. The adjuster's job is to give you less than what you are owed, and they practice all of their tricks every day. They rely on your ignorance.

I'm sure there are many differences in each state as @Tcoat said. I gave my recent personal example as one explanation for the original question, and you told me all of that was wrong and I just didn't understand.
I never said it was "wrong," I said welcome to the club. The state doesn't matter. The last time I had to have repairs, I found the best repair shop that offered the most warranties and were going to make sure I never worried about anything again, and I let them argue. But there was still an argument and a fight. Because insurance companies are evil.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #49
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I think that the objection to your statements is more that you are applying them to everybody. Not everybody is in California and has the exact same coverage you do. There are 12 States that have no fault systems where your whole argument is invalid. In a no fault system you will not be paid a penny for your mods unless you had them included in your policy and even rental coverage depends on if you included that in the coverage. Doesn't matter who was at fault since everything goes through your insurance. Even in the fault States different policies mean different coverage whether you are at fault or not.

There are hundreds of variables depending on location and policy (for example I have replacement coverage so if my car get's totaled I get one a model year newer no matter what that costs it isn't just the value of my car) and this is why these discussions can go sideways so fast since everybody like to say "well I got..."
You again bro?
Old 06-30-2019, 12:27 PM   #50
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Because insurance companies are evil.
The more aggressive cost cutters actually don't mind you believing that. Such a silly value judgment is a purely emotional response. People who insert emotion into their interaction with the insurance company are easier to manipulate and on average make poorer decisions. You start out afraid of them (because "evil" is something to fear) and are at a disadvantage from the very beginning.

You get more out of the insurer by approaching the claim coldly as a business problem. Attorneys understand this. The average attorney gets better results from an insurance negotiation than the average layman, but it's not because a law degree is magic. It's because as your proxy they aren't emotionally manipulated by the claims manager the way regular claimants trying to handle their own negotiations are.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #51
why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
The more aggressive cost cutters actually don't mind you believing that. Such a silly value judgment is a purely emotional response. People who insert emotion into their interaction with the insurance company are easier to manipulate and on average make poorer decisions. You start out afraid of them (because "evil" is something to fear) and are at a disadvantage from the very beginning.

You get more out of the insurer by approaching the claim coldly as a business problem. Attorneys understand this. The average attorney gets better results from an insurance negotiation than the average layman, but it's not because a law degree is magic. It's because as your proxy they aren't emotionally manipulated by the claims manager the way regular claimants trying to handle their own negotiations are.
or because they do it every day and know how to do it right. Fearing anything is moronic. Finding the correct person for the job is usually the best way to go.

Leave it to you to take a tongue in cheek comment and say that.
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 04:58 PM   #52
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,510 Times in 18,915 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Because insurance companies are evil.
I got what you meant. Just putting that out there. Personally, I need a cool-headed, experienced advocate on my side when negotiating these waters. Business/legal matters are not in my wheel house.