follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2018, 01:57 AM   #1
SmartedPanda

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited Manual. 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ABS and Traction after installing spring.

I install RCE Springs myself (never again) with SPC Camber bolt and SPC RLCA.

Steering wheel is really crooked. I stripped a rear sway end link nut and bolt, badly.

On the way to the alignment shop, I ran over a small rock (golf ball), and it immediately turned on the ABS light and traction control.
Alignment shop said get the sway endlink bolt fixed before alignment, asap.

Fixed rear sway endlink.

Need alignment still. Steering wheel is crooked, and after 4-5 mins ABS and Traction Control turns on.

Is this clockspring or alignment or both? Anyway to determine if it's just an alignment or just a clockspring issue? It only occured after running the golf ball sized rock.
[| Blox 490 Knob | Mishimoto Silicon Intake | K&N Filter | DD Always-On DRL | Tomei 60S | Weather Tech | RED USDM TOM's Tail Lights | OEM Underbody Panels | Intec High Mount Brake | RexSpeed Heated Wide Mirrors | TC105N 17x9 | Super Sport 245/40R17 |TRD Quickshifter | Porsche Brake Air Duct | TRD Sliding Armrest| OEM Knee Pads | MTEC Shifter Springs| WRX OEM Oil Cooler| Generic PVC Catch Can|]
SmartedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #2
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
I'd suggest having someone look over your install to be safe.

An alignment (from a GOOD shop that knows these cars) that can have a look at everything is the path forward.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
SmartedPanda (07-24-2018), wparsons (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartedPanda View Post
I install RCE Springs myself (never again) with SPC Camber bolt and SPC RLCA.

Steering wheel is really crooked. I stripped a rear sway end link nut and bolt, badly.

On the way to the alignment shop, I ran over a small rock (golf ball), and it immediately turned on the ABS light and traction control.
Alignment shop said get the sway endlink bolt fixed before alignment, asap.

Fixed rear sway endlink.

Need alignment still. Steering wheel is crooked, and after 4-5 mins ABS and Traction Control turns on.

Is this clockspring or alignment or both? Anyway to determine if it's just an alignment or just a clockspring issue? It only occured after running the golf ball sized rock.

I always say its better to do one mod at a time then test it. You are past that point obviously.

You should have unplugged the ABS plus to the caliper if you were doing suspension work. Plug it back in or check to see if the wire isn't getting pinched somewhere

Alignment should fix the steering wheel issue. Assuming you haven't taken off the steering wheel don't see how the clockspring would be broken
Old 07-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'd bet the issue is because of the RLCA's being way out of adjustment and the steer ahead is way off.

Get it aligned by a good shop and it'll be fine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
SmartedPanda (07-24-2018), strat61caster (07-24-2018), ZionsWrath (07-25-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
SmartedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I'd bet the issue is because of the RLCA's being way out of adjustment and the steer ahead is way off.

Get it aligned by a good shop and it'll be fine.
Thanks!
[| Blox 490 Knob | Mishimoto Silicon Intake | K&N Filter | DD Always-On DRL | Tomei 60S | Weather Tech | RED USDM TOM's Tail Lights | OEM Underbody Panels | Intec High Mount Brake | RexSpeed Heated Wide Mirrors | TC105N 17x9 | Super Sport 245/40R17 |TRD Quickshifter | Porsche Brake Air Duct | TRD Sliding Armrest| OEM Knee Pads | MTEC Shifter Springs| WRX OEM Oil Cooler| Generic PVC Catch Can|]
Old 07-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #6
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just a couple of quick checks: did you set the rear lca's to approximately the same length as the oem units? Are the front camber bolts installed w/ to approx same setting on both sides (i.e., not one set to max negative and other side set to max positive, or something wonky like that)?

Swapping out just the springs shouldn't throw your steering wheel off by too much. As mentioned, check to make you've got any lines/sensors that you may have disconnected reconnected and go to a good shop for an alignment. You should be fine
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:18 AM   #7
SmartedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Just a couple of quick checks: did you set the rear lca's to approximately the same length as the oem units? Are the front camber bolts installed w/ to approx same setting on both sides (i.e., not one set to max negative and other side set to max positive, or something wonky like that)?

Swapping out just the springs shouldn't throw your steering wheel off by too much. As mentioned, check to make you've got any lines/sensors that you may have disconnected reconnected and go to a good shop for an alignment. You should be fine
I just did a quick visual check, I'll do a ghetto level and string alignment. I noticed my rear passenger wheel was pretty cambered and toed in. Probably what it was

I'll see if the ABS light and Traction keep going off (and stays off) after 5 mins.

Thanks everyone. Just worried about my handy work.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #8
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Skip the ghetto home alignment and just get it to the shop for a proper one...
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
churchx (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #9
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
+1. While DIY alignment using level & string CAN be done properly/precise, it's major PITA & takes lot of time. Yet not doing it properly and have everything just very roughly in ball-park very possibly will produce bad handling results.
So either one looses LOT of time & efforts for DIY .. or one can just drive off to alignment shop and have it done much quicker and properly while having some coffee.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
wparsons (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #10
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I did not mean that you should skip a proper alignment-- just some quick checks so that the drive to the alignment shop is less butt clenching, especially if it's not right around the corner.
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote