follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-31-2016, 12:43 AM   #1
srgssgtmatt

Drives: 2014 brz sport tech manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
shifter issue

Hey guys!

So i noticed it when i got home today. When the shifter comes from 5th or 6th going into neutral it tends to hold back or sometimes gets stuck, it feels like something is rubbing or touching the shifter. The neutral wiggles isn't as smooth coming back from 5/6th gear. is that normal for these cars i just got this one in may, used btw, 36k on it. I am not too worried but maybe the ball of the shifter itself isn't lubricated properly.

Thanks for reading, please help
srgssgtmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:31 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgssgtmatt View Post
Hey guys!

So i noticed it when i got home today. When the shifter comes from 5th or 6th going into neutral it tends to hold back or sometimes gets stuck, it feels like something is rubbing or touching the shifter. The neutral wiggles isn't as smooth coming back from 5/6th gear. is that normal for these cars i just got this one in may, used btw, 36k on it. I am not too worried but maybe the ball of the shifter itself isn't lubricated properly.

Thanks for reading, please help
Hello srgssgtmatt ........

It's hard (for me at least) to tell what is going on (if anything) with your transmission from your description.

Is there a difference when the transmission is warm vs. cold ..??

Do you have a short shifter installed .. ??

You might check to see if the oil in the transmission is up to the line (opening).

If the transmission oil hasn't ever been changed, it might be due.

On another recent thread, a person (from Canada I believe) had his shifter looked at and found that it was rusty.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109917

You might try finding another car to compare how it shifts.

I hope you get it sorted out.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
BRZJunkie

Drives: BRZ Sportech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have the same. I had it looked at but they needed to order a part "use once" before they could investigate further. I have a second visit planned. As described by OP, the lever should return to the position between the 3rd and 4th gear by itself. I have to make it go there when I shift from 5th to 4th. Maybe rust, we'll see. I also live in Canada and I used my car the last two winters.
BRZJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
Ben_G

Drives: Blue BRZ
I had this exact problem. It would 'stick' and stay between 5/6 and under reverse before SLOWLY returning to home position between 3/4. It stuck bad enough that I ended up re-selecting reverse instead of engaging 1st because the stick wasn't coming off the lock out fast enough. I'm also lucky that I never managed to re-engage first instead of 3rd when shifting.....

The dealer had initially checked to see if the shifter pivot ball was greased (it was) and decided to try replacing the entire shifter assembly. When they removed the assembly, they saw the rod linkage was rusted. Replaced that and it's free moving again.

Dealer (and I) speculate that the boot that covers the ball joint kept on collecting water during winter/car washes and eventually washed out all the grease inside the boot. Dealer replaced parts and loaded the boot with grease...

I forgot to ask for the original part to visually confirm that it was rust/debris causing the issue at the joint.

Mine was repaired under warranty.

First link is a recent thread of someone with the same problem.
Second link is a thread of another person with the same problem from a few years ago. I don't know they got their problem resolved, but I did. The Mtec spring solution is a red herring. I'm sure it helps alleviate the symptoms better because the springs are stronger, but if you have the same problem I had, it won't correct the underlying issue.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109917

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...hlight=shifter

Last edited by Ben_G; 08-31-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Ben_G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben_G For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (09-12-2016), BRZJunkie (09-01-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 09:29 PM   #5
srgssgtmatt

Drives: 2014 brz sport tech manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
ohh thanks for the link, yes the entire car is stock (for warranty reasons). But it starting to rust kind of makes sense with the feel of the car. my warranty is over in June so i have some time to see if it gets worse. This morning i didn't feel anything, but after driving it there was some hesitation to it.

THANK YOU! seriously guys!
srgssgtmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to srgssgtmatt For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-31-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #6
BRZJunkie

Drives: BRZ Sportech
Same here. 42000km. They kept my car for 9 days. Some parts were backorder. I can confirm they change linkage and all bushings. I'am also from canada. Drove it for 3 winters. Tech said fist time he sees this problem. I bet thay will come in more frequently as time goes by. Had to drop transmission to get to it. No way to lubricate the part to prevent happening again. Too bad. Although he mentionne he applied a generous amount of grease and some antijam product ??... Said the parts didn't show much as lubricant from the factory. Mine still under waranty. Would that be powertrain 5 years or general 3 year waranty? Supposed to be 5 hours job + parts.
BRZJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote