follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2019, 09:44 PM   #29
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Came here to see if you have a sound clip of the JDL with the R400. Are you planning on posting one?
Yes sir! I've posted around in the Technical Topics forum already but I realized today that I hadn't updated my Journal! Well, now is better late than never. Sound clips will be below the incoming wall of text.

So to backtrack a bit on the JDL 4-2-1 header from a purchasing decision and onward from there:

When I bought this car, my original plan was to eventually upgrade the header to try to eliminate the torque dip when I could justify it and was comfortable with foregoing some warranty. I was after the highest possible gains, and I'm not a fan of the UEL sound on the Toyobaru twins (with classic WRXes it's a different story), so naturally that lead me to the ACE A350. However, in Canada, where the weaker Canadian dollar, shipping fees and taxes/duties are the enemy, the ACE A350 was really cost prohibitive compared to other, more common options.

When JDL released their 4-2-1 EL header, I was definitely intrigued given their reputation of offering very high quality parts that provide some of the best gains in their class at very reasonable prices. I was hoping that the 4-2-1 EL header would be more similar in price (in Canada) to their UEL or 4-1 EL offering compared to the ACE, and I was not disappointed.

Compared to the ACE A350 (non-coated) and a Delicious Tuning remote ECUTek tune, it cost me over $1000 less to get the JDL 4-2-1 (w/ full cerakoting) and a custom dyno tune with OnPoint Dyno.

Sasha said that it’s one of the highest HP NA BRZ’s he’s ever had. Car pulls strong right to redline and the torque dip is all but gone. These numbers are with the stock intake, stock overpipe and stock front pipe still in place.

For reference, this dyno is a bit of a heartbreaker... stock BRZ’s typically make anywhere from 140 to 155hp on this dyno.

For more reference a 2014 FRS with a catless JDL UEL header made 166whp on the same dyno.

Do I think that the Ace A350 could have provided even bigger gains? A little bit more most likely, but I don't know for sure at this point, at least without seeing the results back to back on the same dyno. Also, for the extra cost, would it have been worth it? I personally don't think so based on my experience.

Beyond the comparisons, how does the car feel? Well, the car feels completely transformed. I was never one to complain about the power of the Toyobaru twins, but the extra power along with the linearity of the power band without the dip is truly, truly life changing; the car feels so much faster now. If you have a BRZ/86 and have been on the fence about doing this, do it. You won’t regret it.

And now, sound clips! Here's a quick rev I had my buddy record with my iPhone 6S while washing the cars.

I also compiled some driving clips as well. Shot with my Nikon D3300 and Nikkor 35mm f1.8 lens, on a mount no where near stable enough. Car was mic’d up with a cheap amazon lavalier mic placed on the bumper about 8" above the exhaust tips. In-car DSLR mounting solution will need to get better to curb the shakies, but the audio from that mic on the rear bumper? Ace (heh).

UPDATED with some better video:

Last edited by JBezugs; 05-17-2020 at 12:03 PM.
JBezugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBezugs For This Useful Post:
MrSkubi (05-15-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 10:08 PM   #30
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
Yes sir! I've posted around in the Technical Topics forum already but I realized today that I hadn't updated my Journal!
Wah! Now I’m tempted too. It doesn’t seem too loud and if the power hike is what you say it is, then it seems like a no brainer. Problem is I have a Corsa and those things tend to be loud when paired with a header. Then again I had a ride in a fully catless FRS once, also with a Corsa, and I didn’t find it too bad. It was an EL header that was slightly unequal length though. I can’t remember the name.

I was just going to get the FT86SF catted UEL header for the sound and the smell control but now I’m super conflicted. Are you happy with the sound?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:18 PM   #31
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Quote:
Wah! Now I’m tempted too. It doesn’t seem too loud and if the power hike is what you say it is, then it seems like a no brainer. Problem is I have a Corsa and those things tend to be loud when paired with a header. Then again I had a ride in a fully catless FRS once, also with a Corsa, and I didn’t find it too bad. It was an EL header that was slightly unequal length though. I can’t remember the name.

I was just going to get the FT86SF catted UEL header for the sound and the smell control but now I’m super conflicted. Are you happy with the sound?
Super happy. Even though this new JDL header is catless, in the car it’s not much louder than the stock header with the R400. With the stock header, the R400 was basically as quiet as the stock catback when cruising around. It did not drone, and with the new JDL header that still stands true.

There is however definitely more volume on throttle with the JDL header compared to the stock unit, which isn't a bad thing. I personally love the smooth sound that the 4-2-1 EL header brings compared to the stock headers' not quite EL, not quite UEL sound signature. If you prefer UEL (which a lot of people do), well as long as you keep your front pipe in place like I did, I don't think you'll have a hard time going with a catless UEL with solid gains like the JDL or Tomei/Gruppe-S etc. It's all preference at that point.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:37 PM   #32
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Super happy. Even though this new JDL header is catless, in the car it’s not much louder than the stock header with the R400. With the stock header, the R400 was basically as quiet as the stock catback when cruising around. It did not drone, and with the new JDL header that still stands true.

There is however definitely more volume on throttle with the JDL header compared to the stock unit, which isn't a bad thing. I personally love the smooth sound that the 4-2-1 EL header brings compared to the stock headers' not quite EL, not quite UEL sound signature. If you prefer UEL (which a lot of people do), well as long as you keep your front pipe in place like I did, I don't think you'll have a hard time going with a catless UEL with solid gains like the JDL or Tomei/Gruppe-S etc. It's all preference at that point.
I think I might seriously consider this one, as I was also planning on going to OnPoint and now thanks to you he has experience with this header!

Did you get it cerakoted locally or did it come that way from JDL?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:51 PM   #33
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Quote:
I think I might seriously consider this one, as I was also planning on going to OnPoint and now thanks to you he has experience with this header!

Did you get it cerakoted locally or did it come that way from JDL?

No problem, someone had to do it!

The Cerakote was done by JDL when I ordered the header. It’s an optional extra when you order, but definitely recommended for heat management and to keep the finish on the header looking nice.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:03 PM   #34
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
No problem, someone had to do it!

The Cerakote was done by JDL when I ordered the header. It’s an optional extra when you order, but definitely recommended for heat management and to keep the finish on the header looking nice.
Oh it’s a must in my opinion. Okay last question, I promise, and feel free to PM me the reply.

Since you ordered directly from JDL, how much was shipping and did they ship through USPS or Fedex/UPS? Any duties? Are they friendly about declaring creative values on the customs form?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #35
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Quote:
Oh it’s a must in my opinion. Okay last question, I promise, and feel free to PM me the reply.

Since you ordered directly from JDL, how much was shipping and did they ship through USPS or Fedex/UPS? Any duties? Are they friendly about declaring creative values on the customs form?

I actually ordered through AlphaMotorsports, I’ll pm you more info.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #36
jredders

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
That green is amazing! I just picked up a Silver 2017 BRZ Limited with Performance Package a couple weekends ago. I love the car, but the silver is so boring compared to this!
jredders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jredders For This Useful Post:
JBezugs (11-26-2019)
Old 05-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #37
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Another year, another update!

I researched the FT86 platform extensively and planned mods for years in university (lots of daydreaming) before actually buying a BRZ once I graduated. It feels great to almost be at the finish line of my original vision.

Big upgrades to the car this year. First thing was a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ses in the factory size to replace my OEM Primacy HPs. What a huge improvement of grip in all aspects. I can actually put the extra power of that header down properly without spinning through 1st and even a bit of second in the dry, which is laughable for an NA car. Cornering grip I haven't really been able to compare on the street since no tracks are open yet, but I haven't hit the limit of the PS4S yet, thats for sure. Also, they ride better and are quieter on the highway than the OEM tires, so win win?

I also finally got a set of Tein Flex Z's over the winter for a song and installed them on the car a couple of weeks back. To go with the coilover upgrade, I also installed a set of UltraPower LCA's (RockAuto's SPC equivalent, basically the same thing for less than 1/3'd the cost) and a set of H&R DRS 15mm spacers that come with extended wheel studs to push those Gram Lights out a bit, while still being safe for track use vs. bolt on spacers, which I honestly don't trust.

The car drives absolutely awesome. Had it aligned and corner balanced by the guys at XIIIMotorsports and the car feels dialed in. Insane amounts of grip and really great balance.

The Teins ride really well as well. They're quiet like the factory suspension with no weird clunks or noises even with the pillowball mounts. Due to the higher spring rate than factory, you do feel a bit more of the dots in the road (asphalt joints, etc) but it never upsets the car or feels jarring - it's actually nice to have that extra road feel through the steering wheel. However, over larger shocks and bumps I actually feel the Teins absorb them better than stock at 7 clicks from full stiff, while still cornering flatter. Keep in mind the OEM 2017 suspension rides pretty well as it is, leagues ahead of my girlfriend's 2015 WRX.

I'm running CSG Mike's recommended settings of 5 clicks for a sporty street setting, and it feels perfect. I'll have more impressions once I get them on a windy road/track which will hopefully be soon, but for now, I am completely impressed.

Last edited by JBezugs; 05-15-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #38
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

As a bonus, here's a full mod list is below for those who are curious (in order), along with some notes on what was planned and what wasn't.

Mod List:
  • Invidia R400 Catback (June 2017)
    As planned, and still enjoying it even with the header.
  • ft86speedfactory short shifter (February 2018)
    Was originally planning on the Kartboy or Torque Solutions (TS) shifter but the rattles had me nervous. Kartboy shifter was discontinued, so I went with the ft86 version because of the ball bearing bushing and the supposed "higher build" than the TS shifter which promised less rattles. Welp, the shifter still rattles! Only mild regrets here, but the shifter feel is nice so it is what it is. Had I done it again, I probably would have went with the TS shifter and saved a bit.
  • Green Wrap by InzenSkin (June 2018)
    Was not planned until after I bought the car... the car was originally white, and I loved white on Japanese sports cars. However, in a family full of white SUVs and the realization that every car on the road is white, black or grey, I knew I wanted something different. I've always loved green on sports cars (my favourite colour) so the choice was natural. Went after a similar colour to the NSX Estoril Turqoise Pearl/Supra Deep Jewel Green Pearl, and I absolutely love it. Hard to imagine my car was white now. 2 years on, Toyota makes a green 86 and green is making a full on resurgence right now!
  • Pioneer AVH-ZL5150BT (July 2018)
    Planned just before I got the car, although I was looking at the Kenwood DDX-918WS first. The AVH-ZL5150BT was similar but with LHD buttons, so I jumped on it. Not performance related, but holy hell what a quality of life improvement, and one of the best mods on my car. Apple CarPlay is a godsend, and sounds a hell of a lot better than the factory unit, especially with AutoEQing and Time Alignment, plus the Dayton RS180P-4 woofers I stuffed in the doors. Everything works like factory, including the backup camera and the steering wheel controls.
  • Gram Lights 57Cs (17x7.5 +48) (April 2019)
    Was originally planning for a pair of 57DR's in 17x9 with a 245 tire, but I found these OG 57Cs for a good price and couldn't say no. I'm glad I stayed with a narrower wheel and tire to keep the great steering feel these cars have.
  • JDL 4-2-1 EL Header w/ Titanium Cerakote and OnPoint Dyno Tune (April 2019)
    I was originally planning on the ACE A350 but when the JDL was released I was amazed at its reasonable price compared to the ACE with similar performance, so I jumped at the chance to get one. I think I was the first in Canada. OnPoint Dyno Tune with Sasha was just as planned. This mod completely transformed the car and I wish I did it earlier.
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 215/45R17 (April 2020)
    The extra power from the JDL header and tune meant I realllly needed to do something about the stock tires. PS4Ses were as planned (the best high performance street tire there is, bar none) but in the OEM size rather than the wider 245 setup for the 57C's. The extra grip is insane. Can't wait to really explore their limits on track.
  • Tein Flex Z Coilovers (April 2020)
    As planned after reading CSGMike's review on ft86club, save for the fact I scored a basically new set for a song rather than buying brand new. These coils are flippin' awesome.
  • UltraPower (Rock Auto) LCAs (April 2020)
    Originally planned on the SPCs, but based on thread feedback the UltraPower LCAs were the same quality for less than 1/3'd of the price.
  • H&R 15mm DRS Spacers (April 2020)
    Not planned, but a side effect of having the 57Cs which are higher offset. Went with the DRS (15mm with extended studs) rather than a larger bolt on spacer because I just don't trust bolt on spacers, especially for track use. Really happy with the fitment now with these on.

What's left to install?
  • Greddy Limited Edition Oil Cooler (Unit 25/50) (Purchased March 2020)
    Was planning on the Jackson Racing unit, but got a brand new one for STOOPID cheap (~900CAD or 650ish USD). Will need to trim the ducting to fit my 2017 bumper, but no big deal. Plus, the red core means it'll make my car faster.
  • Racingbees STI Replica Front Lip (Purchased March 2019)
    Not as planned, but after scraping the bottom of my bumper many times I figured a front lip would be a good way to cover it up. Ordered an Ikon one from ft86motorsports, arrived to my doorstep with no box completely warped and FUBAR'd. Tried to install it but to no avail. After 3 months of back and forth I finally got a refund for it (that's the last time I ever ordered from them). Ended up picking up the Racingbees unit locally which looks like it'll fit up perfect. I've just had it under my bed for over a year because I've been too lazy to install it (shhhhh). I'll get around to it within the next few weeks.

Any items left on my list? Basically, pads and fluid for HPDE/Lapping whenever the tracks open up again and that's it!

Last edited by JBezugs; 05-15-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #39
LancePower

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS
I appreciate your exhaust videos on YouTube.

I'm debating the JDL EL Header.

What % of volume increase do you think the Header accounted for?

From my research the R400 is pretty loud by itself, but your combo didn't come across as loud in the videos.
LancePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #40
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePower View Post
I appreciate your exhaust videos on YouTube.

I'm debating the JDL EL Header.

What % of volume increase do you think the Header accounted for?

From my research the R400 is pretty loud by itself, but your combo didn't come across as loud in the videos.

When cruising around in light throttle, maybe a 5-10% increase? Minor enough that it’s reasonable on the highway with minimal drone.

The real difference is in heavy throttle application. I’d say close to a 30% increase in volume at WOT.

I’ll try to take some interior video soon so you can her what it’s like inside the car.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #41
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Finally got around to installing that front lip! Really ties the look of the car together.

Last edited by JBezugs; 05-29-2020 at 01:25 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBezugs For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (05-29-2020), Irace86.2.0 (06-05-2020), tehShirt (05-29-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 09:36 PM   #42
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Sasha said that it’s one of the highest HP NA BRZ’s he’s ever had.
I read that and then your mod list and felt sad. I mean congrats on the numbers, but if that is all it takes to be one of the highest NA FA20s then that is sad for us. I guess everyone just goes for forced induction these days.