follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 01-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Since I'm a commuter in a city full of morons, I like the peace of mind of having a predictable idle.
There are morons in Ottawa??????

BTW I am loving the pump prime thing! Was -20 this morning and not a second's hesitation to start after the prime.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #44
Tan

Drives: '15 FR-S, '13 ILX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Someone already asked this and got no response, but I must know.. How do you prime the fuel? Clear noob instructions please..

I haven't had any issues starting mine so far. Although this morning I heard a thud when I released the hand brake. It probably froze overnight.

Thanks
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #45
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan View Post
Someone already asked this and got no response, but I must know.. How do you prime the fuel? Clear noob instructions please..

I haven't had any issues starting mine so far. Although this morning I heard a thud when I released the hand brake. It probably froze overnight.

Thanks
Ignition on but vehicle not running/start. Turn key/push button to farthest possible point/button press but don't push the clutch in.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #46
Tan

Drives: '15 FR-S, '13 ILX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
Ignition on but vehicle not running/start. Turn key/push button to farthest possible point/button press but don't push the clutch in.
And hold it there (for how long) or let it spring back? How many times? What should I hear when it's done right?

Thanks! (BTW I noticed some people 'thank' users posts as if by clicking a button, but I see no such button)
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #47
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
And hold it there (for how long) or let it spring back? How many times? What should I hear when it's done right?

Thanks! (BTW I noticed some people 'thank' users posts as if by clicking a button, but I see no such button)
Just leave the ignition in the "on" position for 10-20 seconds then you can start it. You may here a light buzzing as the fuel pump primes.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #48
The_Understated
Hooner in training... eh?

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Every forum is different but I believe it's from attaining a certain number of posts to make sure you're not a bot or something. Lol.

In other news (don't want to thread jack this too much) on the topic of cold starts: anyone from Winnipeg (and area) know if block heaters are suggested for the winter up there? I have a 3 month course in Winnipeg and not sure if I should be looking into a heater or not. Probably going to be sitting most of the week and used on weekends. :/ Called a dealership today and the part is $183 and install $238 + tax... not something I'm looking to do if I don't need it. Probably going to get something aftermarket if i do (~$450 for a block heater is insane...)

Cheers
Old 01-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #49
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

Move it to the 'On' position and you'll hear a faint buzzing, that's the fuel pump. After the buzzing stops you are good to go.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #50
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
I guess for push-button guys, push the start button 2x so that your dash lights up (ABS, handbrake, CEL, airbag lights, the works).
Your fuel needle should sweep up.

Not sure how long we need to leave it for, but I've been leaving it for something like 3-5 seconds, then clutch in and start.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #51
D_Thissen

Quote:
In other news (don't want to thread jack this too much) on the topic of cold starts: anyone from Winnipeg (and area) know if block heaters are suggested for the winter up there? I have a 3 month course in Winnipeg and not sure if I should be looking into a heater or not. Probably going to be sitting most of the week and used on weekends. :/ Called a dealership today and the part is $183 and install $238 + tax... not something I'm looking to do if I don't need it. Probably going to get something aftermarket if i do (~$450 for a block heater is insane...)

Cheers
Yeah I would look into getting a block heater. Im in Tbay for work and last night it went down to -32C before the wind chill. It will start with out one, but it wont like it lol.
Also you'll notice how weak the OEM battery is up here. Take a couple seconds of cranking for it to start.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #52
The_Understated
Hooner in training... eh?

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
Yeah I would look into getting a block heater. Im in Tbay for work and last night it went down to -32C before the wind chill. It will start with out one, but it wont like it lol.
Also you'll notice how weak the OEM battery is up here. Take a couple seconds of cranking for it to start.
Might add a battery heater to that then. :/ Thanks for the info, pretty much what I was looking for.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #53
D_Thissen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Understated View Post
Might add a battery heater to that then. :/ Thanks for the info, pretty much what I was looking for.

No worries. You could install the block heater yourself, just have to drop the header to do it. I picked up a block heater timer and just have it set to come on for 3-6 hours before I need the car. If its less than -15 I usually put it on for an hour.

I was talking to the dealership where I bought my car from (in S. Ontario) apparently you can have a dealership test the battery and have them replace it with a higher CCA version. I think they said its from new Corolla. I'm thinking I might just pick up a Red Top.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #54
Pkush

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
Just leave the ignition in the "on" position for 10-20 seconds then you can start it. You may here a light buzzing as the fuel pump primes.
Even in the coldest weather I think 10 seconds is plenty. IMHO
Pkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #55
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkush View Post
Even in the coldest weather I think 10 seconds is plenty. IMHO
I usually only do 5 seconds or so. The pump comes up to pressure pretty fast.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #56
congee

Drives: SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Anyone else have this weird slush sound when they put it in reverse on a cold day? When I warm the car enough after driving it for a bit and put it in reverse, the sound is gone. I only hear the sound in the mornings after the cars been sitting overnight and only in reverse. Normal??