follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2018, 04:44 AM   #85
yourboyvic

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've been trying to find online video of the motion/response/laggyness of the screen, does anyone that has the unit installed find the response of the screen to touch or button input to be laggy at all or at least better than all other HU that they've had in this car?

thanks in advance guys, love what I'm reading so far

Last edited by yourboyvic; 11-01-2018 at 04:45 AM. Reason: forgot to say thanks in advance
yourboyvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #86
Nails

Drives: 2016 FR-S (Halo MT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedSlip View Post
I have a U.S. spec 2017 Toyota 86, 860 Special Edition with a manual transmission.
This is essentially a BRZ Limited without the Performance Package and Subaru StarLink head unit.
My factory head unit is a Pioneer AVH-2558ZT with front panel part number AXLP-Q17U T10087.
@LimitedSlip thanks for the detailed write-up on your install process for your 2017 86. I have an 2016 FRS and since our stock headunits are basically the same, I'm curious how you like the AVH-ZL5150 in comparison? Is the sound quality significantly better? Do you have any issues using Apple Carplay or Android Auto?
Nails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #87
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nails View Post
@LimitedSlip thanks for the detailed write-up on your install process for your 2017 86. I have an 2016 FRS and since our stock headunits are basically the same, I'm curious how you like the AVH-ZL5150 in comparison? Is the sound quality significantly better? Do you have any issues using Apple Carplay or Android Auto?
I replaced the factory HU with less than 1K miles on the odometer and stored the car at less than 5K so I haven't used the new HU a lot. That being said . . .

This post explains my major problem with the factory HU:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=66

Aside from that, I just couldn't make the factory system sound very good. This is probably more the fault of the speakers than the factory HU. But, with a decent Digital Signal Processor (more about that in #4 below) even mediocre speakers can be pretty good. After the new car smell has gone away maybe I'll revisit speakers.

1. Since all of my listening is done from Flac and MP3 files loaded onto a USB stick, I wanted something that worked better in that regard. The AVH-ZL5150 does handle USB files and folders correctly.

2. When I replace a HU it needs to look factory and not lose any vehicle functionality. The AVH-ZL5150 was specifically designed for certain Toyota and Nissan models and fits great. No adapters and it fills the dash opening.

3. No need to buy and fight with a third party steering wheel decoder.

4. As for sound, I can't really compare the factory unit and the AVH-ZL5150 side by side BUT if you buy the AVH-ZL5150 you REALLY need to purchase the optional Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone. After the AVH-ZL5150 analyzes the cabin acoustics and adjusts its DSP to compensate for irregularities there is great improvement. You can turn the Auto-EQ compensation on and off to verify. You can also adjust the built-in EQ for personal taste apart from the Auto-EQ.

5. Regarding what you were probably most interested in, Apple Carplay and Android Auto, I'm not able to comment. See #1 above. Sorry!

The AVH-ZL5150 is not exactly a plug-and-play install but the information in this thread should cover all the rough spots. I really like it overall.

If you haven't already found the User Manual, you can download it here:

https://www.pioneer.com.au/shop/car/avh-zl5150bt/

Later . . .
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LimitedSlip For This Useful Post:
Nails (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 10:36 PM   #88
Nails

Quote:
This post explains my major problem with the factory HU:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=66
Thanks for the feedback. I understand where you are coming from in regards to frustrations with the stock headunit. It annoys me that is relies on Gracenote and that there is no way to turn that off. I've tagged my MP3's with proper information and album art, but that is completely ignored.

Quote:
Aside from that, I just couldn't make the factory system sound very good. This is probably more the fault of the speakers than the factory HU. But, with a decent Digital Signal Processor (more about that in #4 below) even mediocre speakers can be pretty good. After the new car smell has gone away maybe I'll revisit speakers.
I splurged a few months after purchasing my FR-S and got the OEM Audio upgrade, which helps out the sound quality of the stock unit a lot. My main concern is that changing to the AVH-ZL5150 would be it adversely affecting the sound quality, but it doesn't seem like that would be the case.

Quote:
1. Since all of my listening is done from Flac and MP3 files loaded onto a USB stick, I wanted something that worked better in that regard. The AVH-ZL5150 does handle USB files and folders correctly.
Same here. I play all of my music off a USB flashdrive. Good to hear it works better with the AVH-ZL5150.

Quote:
2. When I replace a HU it needs to look factory and not lose any vehicle functionality. The AVH-ZL5150 was specifically designed for certain Toyota and Nissan models and fits great. No adapters and it fills the dash opening.
The OEM look of the AVH-ZL5150 is something that really appeals to me as well.

Quote:
4. As for sound, I can't really compare the factory unit and the AVH-ZL5150 side by side BUT if you buy the AVH-ZL5150 you REALLY need to purchase the optional Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone. After the AVH-ZL5150 analyzes the cabin acoustics and adjusts its DSP to compensate for irregularities there is great improvement. You can turn the Auto-EQ compensation on and off to verify. You can also adjust the built-in EQ for personal taste apart from the Auto-EQ.
Since I already have the OEM Audio DSP, I'm curious how that works with the Pioneer Auto-EQ microphone. I've got some questions in to OEM Audio regarding that.

Quote:
5. Regarding what you were probably most interested in, Apple Carplay and Android Auto, I'm not able to comment. See #1 above. Sorry!
Not a problem. Being able to use Android Auto with the AVH-ZL5150 is a nice perk since it adds navigation to the car via Waze or Google Maps. It isn't a priority for me since I mainly use the head unit for music via MP3's. But, I've read some responses on the forum about other Pioneer aftermarket head units having problems with Apple Carplay and was curios if it works well with the AVH-ZL5150. Perhaps @JBezugs, @Juzzotec or someone else could provide feedback on how Android Auto or Apple Carplay work with the head unit.

Quote:
The AVH-ZL5150 is not exactly a plug-and-play install but the information in this thread should cover all the rough spots. I really like it overall.
Going through your install information, I did have a couple of other questions. Where did you end up installing your microphone? Did you put it in the stock location? If so, how is the sound quality?

If I change units, I was planning on relocating the USB port to the center console. Would something like the below attach directly to head unit and skip the auxiliary rewiring you mentioned with the AutoHarnessHouse?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...hps_bw_c_x_2_w

Since I don't have steering wheel controls on my 2016 FRS, I guess it is only issue I would need to keep an eye out for with the wiring solution from AutoHarnessHouse is the flipped rear speakers. Do I have that correct?

Thanks for your help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nails For This Useful Post:
omegared19 (02-23-2022)
Old 11-18-2018, 09:45 PM   #89
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I splurged a few months after purchasing my FR-S and got the OEM Audio upgrade, which helps out the sound quality of the stock unit a lot. My main concern is that changing to the AVH-ZL5150 would be it adversely affecting the sound quality, but it doesn't seem like that would be the case.
The folks at OEM Audio seem to favor Pioneer HUs. If there is a problem they've probably seen it before.
Quote:
Since I already have the OEM Audio DSP, I'm curious how that works with the Pioneer Auto-EQ microphone. I've got some questions in to OEM Audio regarding that.
The way an auto-eq works whether at home or in a vehicle is to play a series of known test tones (usually variations of white noise) through the entire audio signal path (pre-amp, amp, speaker wires, speakers, etc.) into the listening environment (a room or a vehicle interior). A microphone (whose acoustic characteristics and anomalies are well documented) is placed in the listeners preferred location (in a vehicle, usually the driver's seat headrest). The test tones picked up by the microphone are compared to their original version and any deviation from the original (caused by equipment or acoustics) can be eliminated by the DSP. The result should be a very flat frequency response and time alignment for that one specific and unique listening environment.

I suspect that OEM Audio has measured several different examples of a particular make/model of vehicle and arrived at a "best average" correction for their DSP for that vehicle. This would be way better than the factory configuration but may not be "spot on" for your specific vehicle. This is why it's nice to have an auto-eq run on your own system and interior. Kind of like running an Open Flash Tune for your engine versus taking your car to a tuner with a dyno.

I would think that you could run the OEM Audio setup just as it is and run the Pioneer Auto-Eq process on the whole system to get the last little bit of performance out of your specific combination of equipment and environment.

I'd also like to hear what OEM Audio has to say about this.
Quote:
Going through your install information, I did have a couple of other questions. Where did you end up installing your microphone? Did you put it in the stock location? If so, how is the sound quality?
Given the cabin noise level driving down the highway I wanted to give the new microphone the best chance to sound good. The factory location is designed so that any of the four seating locations can "sort of" be picked up by the mic. Since I usually drive the 86 alone, I decided to use the clip supplied with the Pioneer microphone and attach it to the front edge of the headliner between the driver side sun visor and the rear view mirror. The mic can then be pointed directly at the drivers mouth. I'm told that there is some background noise but the audio is very intelligible. Also, I think there would need to be some modifications made to the factory location to fit the Pioneer mic. I'd prefer to leave the factory location stock should I ever replace the original radio.
Quote:
If I change units, I was planning on relocating the USB port to the center console. Would something like the below attach directly to head unit and skip the auxiliary rewiring you mentioned with the AutoHarnessHouse?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VAIEAUM/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_2_w

That's a very clever bit of kit. It appears that it has the correct connectors to plug right in to the AVH-ZL5150. You wouldn't need to use that part of the AHH harness.
Quote:
Since I don't have steering wheel controls on my 2016 FRS, I guess it is only issue I would need to keep an eye out for with the wiring solution from AutoHarnessHouse is the flipped rear speakers. Do I have that correct?
I believe so. You may have seen this already but the AVH-ZL5150 also comes with a wireless remote that might be useful in lieu of the steering wheel controls.
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LimitedSlip For This Useful Post:
Nails (11-18-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #90
godzuki

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
just installed this in a 2013 frs. when the car starts moving the carplay audio gets muddled and the carplay volume controls get greyed out (no longer adjustable). when the car comes to complete stop everything is fine. i changed the audio/mute setting to off and that allows me to adjust the audio when moving but something is going on under the covers cause the rest of the audio config settings blink rapidly when the car is moving. if anyone has any ideas what going on would love to hear them.
godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:17 AM   #91
godzuki

emailed autoharnesshouse and this was their (very quick) response:

...you need to cut the pink wire that goes into the Pioneer on the direct wire connector. The Non-navi headunits use the VSS pin for "Mute" and this is why you're having this problem (because the VSS signal is going into the Mute signal)...

will try this out in the morning and post results. so far the sound quality is superior to the stock hu and im using the oem audio + dsp/amp still tuned for the old stock hu. eq set to flat and added a bit to mids and highs. disabled the crossovers.

played with waze for a couple 25+ mile drives and am very pleased with everything so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzuki View Post
just installed this in a 2013 frs. when the car starts moving the carplay audio gets muddled and the carplay volume controls get greyed out (no longer adjustable). when the car comes to complete stop everything is fine. i changed the audio/mute setting to off and that allows me to adjust the audio when moving but something is going on under the covers cause the rest of the audio config settings blink rapidly when the car is moving. if anyone has any ideas what going on would love to hear them.
The Following User Says Thank You to godzuki For This Useful Post:
Nails (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 08:33 AM   #92
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
...That's a very clever bit of kit. It appears that it has the correct connectors to plug right in to the AVH-ZL5150. You wouldn't need to use that part of the AHH harness..
I have a similar one in my Suburban (two USB Ports and a separate port for the audio in) that goes to my Pioneer AVH. In MomHawk's '05 Mustang I have one with USB and HDMI going to her Kenmore. They work great.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #93
godzuki

cutting the wire solved the issue (also noticed a sticker attached to wire that said "cut me you idiot")

so far i'm really impressed with this head unit. for some history i started with the OEM HU, then replaced it with the cafi unit a few years back, then moved back to the OEM unit after installing the OEM Audio + system. only had one glitch so far with waze which was fixed by re-pluging in my iphone. spotify has been flawless. i haven't installed the mic yet, but when i get around to it i'll post my thoughts.

install details so far:
purchased unit from ebay for $569
purchased the following three items from autoharnesshouse

1)
Subau Aftermarket Headunit Installation Harness (For Vehicles with Nav)
Item# 7565 Does the Backup Camera Currently Display on the OEM Headunit?: No
Model: Scion FRS
Model Year: 2013

2)
Pioneer Direct Wire Harness for Subaru and Toyota
Item# AHH-70-1761

3) For a future backup camera
Socket pin jumper (28 inch) for 28-pin or 16-pin connector on Toyota/Subaru/Scion
Item# 7698 Pin type: Reverse Trigger (One A Type and one B type)

note: most will also need to purchase an antenna and USB adapter mentioned earlier in the thread as well

the install was as easy as pulling the two dash panels, unscrewing four 10mm bolts, pulling out the OEM unit, unscrewing the frame/rails and attaching to the new unit and re-attaching the connectors to the new unit. the GPS connector will go un-used, and make sure to cut the VSS-MUTE wire as explained above.

to the op who discovered this unit, thanks!

Quote:
emailed autoharnesshouse and this was their (very quick) response:

...you need to cut the pink wire that goes into the Pioneer on the direct wire connector. The Non-navi headunits use the VSS pin for "Mute" and this is why you're having this problem (because the VSS signal is going into the Mute signal)...

will try this out in the morning and post results. so far the sound quality is superior to the stock hu and im using the oem audio + dsp/amp still tuned for the old stock hu. eq set to flat and added a bit to mids and highs. disabled the crossovers.

played with waze for a couple 25+ mile drives and am very pleased with everything so far.

Last edited by godzuki; 12-04-2018 at 02:38 PM. Reason: updated incorrect purchase price
The Following User Says Thank You to godzuki For This Useful Post:
Nails (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 03:20 PM   #94
Nails

Quote:
so far i'm really impressed with this head unit. for some history i started with the OEM HU, then replaced it with the cafi unit a few years back, then moved back to the OEM unit after installing the OEM Audio + system. only had one glitch so far with waze which was fixed by re-pluging in my iphone. spotify has been flawless. i haven't installed the mic yet, but when i get around to it i'll post my thoughts.
Great to hear that AutoHarnessHouse's suggestion fixed your issue and that you are happy with the AVH-ZL5150 so far. Do you think you'll end up getting your OEM Audio system re-tuned or does it sound good enough with the stock tune? Where do you plan on installing the microphone? If you plan on putting it in the stock location, I'll be curious how well it works there.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #95
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Great to hear that AutoHarnessHouse's suggestion fixed your issue and that you are happy with the AVH-ZL5150 so far. Do you think you'll end up getting your OEM Audio system re-tuned or does it sound good enough with the stock tune? Where do you plan on installing the microphone? If you plan on putting it in the stock location, I'll be curious how well it works there.

I have the microphone in the stock location currently! You do catch a bit more road noise than if you point it directly at the driver, but it is still loud and clear for people on the other end of my calls, way better than OEM from what they’ve told me.

To curtail the road noise, I stuffed a bit of black acoustic foam in the microphone trim piece with the Pioneer mic. Helped keep the mic in place too.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #96
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Pioneer AVH-ZL5150 - New LHD 200mm Head Unit w/ CarPlay and Android Auto!

Glad to hear everyone is enjoying the head unit. I have had no issues with the unit thus far (other than some CarPlay hiccups which were iOS related from being on an iOS 12 beta, and not the head unit).

My car is currently in storage so I’m driving around my winter beater currently; it has a pretty solid system in it (DEH-80PRS running full active with Morel Tempo 6’s and a JBL GTO1514D in infinite baffle config) but man, do I miss CarPlay.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #97
godzuki

Installed the mic over the weekend. Ended up placing it in the lower left corner of the dash panel surrounding the headunit. Threaded the wire under the corner edge of the panel. Mic positioned so it’s pointed up and to the right towards the roof. Callers reported I sounded fine. Sucks I cant play spotify songs through voice commands but thats an apple/carlink thing. Will post a pic when I have the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
I have the microphone in the stock location currently! You do catch a bit more road noise than if you point it directly at the driver, but it is still loud and clear for people on the other end of my calls, way better than OEM from what they’ve told me.

To curtail the road noise, I stuffed a bit of black acoustic foam in the microphone trim piece with the Pioneer mic. Helped keep the mic in place too.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:36 PM   #98
touko

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know more detail in terms of how OEM speakers work, and whether driving them with this unit is safe? I noticed something while reading the owner's manual as I'm waiting for my unit to arrive.

The manual has a warning to use speakers with 4-8 Ohms impedance and over 50W max input power, and not to use speakers with 1-3 Ohms impedance. I couldn't find an authoritative source but a quick Google search suggests that the OEM speakers are 4 Ohm speakers wired in parallel and giving effective 2 Ohms of impedance per channel. I'm also a bit confused on how all 8 speakers would wire up into the head unit considering this head unit seems to support up to 4 channels, sans subwoofers.
touko is offline   Reply With Quote