follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
DoopaTroopa
Kato

Drives: The Black Beauty
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
SuperTek Hood Damper Review/Troubleshoot

So I just picked these up from FT86SpeedFactory for about 70 bucks and just finished installing them today. It's roughly about a 30 min install as with most hood dampers. I did run into some issue that I'd like to share with anyone trying to pick these up.

The pictures included in the installation instructions were a little hard to see because they were in black and white and the details got lost in the pixels. You should be able to figure it out after a double take. (Reserved for future picture)

The instructions state that you should install the upper and lower brackets first before you install the dampers but I found it impossible to "simply click" them in with my hands so I tried pliers. Well doing that bent the retaining spring(?) so I found it easier to remove said spring with some pliers.

Afterwards I was able pop the dampers on and reinstall the spring/clip/retainer/whatever the fudge.

So while I was fiddling with the install I accidentally pulled off the carbon fiber doohicky. Not a big deal

[ame="http://youtu.be/GyL_nTKmFaE"]http://youtu.be/GyL_nTKmFaE[/ame]

REVIEW
It's a little too early to tell how long these will last, but they're a little wonky. The way it mounts on gives the brackets a little side to side play while you're ratcheting the bolts down. They do look a tad weak, like if I met some kind of resistance going down, they would snap. The hood does close properly and it seems to work as intended. Only time will tell now.

TL;DR
So far so good. Get it if you wanna save 20 bucks instead of getting the Rexpeed. Instructions suck but you'll figure it out.
DoopaTroopa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoopaTroopa For This Useful Post:
cywinr (07-11-2015), kuhlka (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have the Grimspeed struts for my BRZ and they seem pretty solid. It seems like the strut and mount quality is a toss-up and hard to judge from company to company. I've got a different brand on the STI. They're stiffer and not nearly as nice as the Grimspeed struts.
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kuhlka For This Useful Post:
DoopaTroopa (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
DoopaTroopa
Kato

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhlka View Post
I have the Grimspeed struts for my BRZ and they seem pretty solid. It seems like the strut and mount quality is a toss-up and hard to judge from company to company. I've got a different brand on the STI. They're stiffer and not nearly as nice as the Grimspeed struts.
Well I've never had hood dampers on any car I've owned and these are my first set. I can already tell where the standards might be lower in some parts of the construction compared to other brands, like using plastic vs metal caps. Without owning the Grimmspeeds, and using product pictures for comparison, they look more sturdier and have more flair, where mine tries to mimic the competition. Grimmspeed = Volk TE37 SuperTek = Rota Grids
Old 01-31-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Supertek Industries

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Hi,

Thanks for the review. We tested the durabilty for over 6 months on our test car without issue. In our opinion they are of as good quality as competing hood damper kits. Our kit actually has more metal components than some comparable competitors. With that said, it looks like we should relook at possibly revising instructions.
Supertek Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Supertek Industries For This Useful Post:
DoopaTroopa (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
DoopaTroopa
Kato

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertek Industries View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the review. We tested the durabilty for over 6 months on our test car without issue. In our opinion they are of as good quality as competing hood damper kits. Our kit actually has more metal components than some comparable competitors. With that said, it looks like we should relook at possibly revising instructions.
Well I appreciate you acknowledging the (hopefully constructive) criticism. It's not a big deal, but for noobs like me I can't function without pictures. I'd be the next Steven Hawking if theoretical physics textbooks had colorful cartoons and talking bears. As far as the unit itself, I mean I have no initial qualms and it works just fine out of the box. It does what it's supposed to do and that's more than enough for me.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
Supertek Industries

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoopaTroopa View Post
Well I appreciate you acknowledging the (hopefully constructive) criticism. It's not a big deal, but for noobs like me I can't function without pictures. I'd be the next Steven Hawking if theoretical physics textbooks had colorful cartoons and talking bears. As far as the unit itself, I mean I have no initial qualms and it works just fine out of the box. It does what it's supposed to do and that's more than enough for me.

Thank you again.
Supertek Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Garage
Quote:
Well I've never had hood dampers on any car I've owned and these are my first set. I can already tell where the standards might be lower in some parts of the construction compared to other brands, like using plastic vs metal caps. Without owning the Grimmspeeds, and using product pictures for comparison, they look more sturdier and have more flair, where mine tries to mimic the competition. Grimmspeed = Volk TE37 SuperTek = Rota Grids
It's sooo nice being able to open the hood with a single finger and not have to work around the stupid support rod.
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Seeing this helped me a ton... I got a kit from FT86speedfactory but it came without instructions...

it's a 10 minute install once you know where everything goes.
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:04 AM   #9
dom
86 owner

Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
May I know who have a digital copy of the installation instruction as it doesn't come with any. Thanks
dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
how are they holding up?
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
DoopaTroopa
Kato

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
how are they holding up?
Honestly I'm not under my hood often enough to put a lot of use into it, but they're holding up just like the day I bought them.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
DoopaTroopa
Kato

Garage
This is probably too late for some people but here's the install video from FT-86 Speed Factory.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1744261
Old 06-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #13
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
This is probably too late for some people but here's the install video from FT-86 Speed Factory.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1744261
I was going to say we have a full install video on the website.
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FT-86 SpeedFactory For This Useful Post:
DoopaTroopa (06-10-2014)
Old 07-11-2015, 12:52 AM   #14
pearlhatchiroku

Drives: pearl white eighty six
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
PITA to install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertek Industries View Post
Thank you again.

Getting past that retainer clip is a b1tch and really a pain in the @$$ had these for about 8 mos already and until now havent been able to put them on. if you remove the retainer clip and attached the brackets to the damper itself, its even harder to put back on the retainer clip, and i dont want to risk using it without that thing that holds it from separating with the bracket, the install video states that you just pop the hood dampers in with the brackets, even the hulk himself couldnt just pop them in that easily. I was able to install one bracket to the damper but with alot of hammering and it doesnt look nice at all and i dont want to ghetto install the rest so i just gave up on it, looking back i would have picked another brand, it may be more expensive but the hassle plus i dont get to use it in the end is really not worth it for the few bucks i saved.
pearlhatchiroku is offline   Reply With Quote