follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #127
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
A similar situation happened to me. I am in the far left lane, and a taxicab in front of me has some sort of failure (not sure what happened, or if it was mechanical/driver error) but he went into a spin @ ~65mph in light snow with me right behind him.

I pretty much just slowed down and kept myself pointing straight. Jerking your wheel on the highway to avoid someone who you should have been following at a safe distance anyways is a poor move as you are just potentially creating more of a hazard by sideswiping someone in another lane and/or losing control of your car.

I ended up slightly correcting my steering as he slid into the breakdown lane on the left because someone IN THE RIGHT LANE had a panic and swerved into my lane for some reason.

A co-worker of mine from a while back had an accident because he swerved to avoid a drunk/bad/chicago driver that started to merge into his lane and ended up hitting a telephone pole. Totaled his car, had to pay for the telephone pole, and was deemed 100% at fault because obviously the other guy didn't stick around.

Swerving can be dangerous, braking is the safest thing you can do in most situations. There is a truck going 70 HEAD ON in your lane though, please feel free to swerve. I think the risks outweigh the certain death that you will face in that situation

Just my opinion on a very touchy subject.
My experience was a truck carrying wooden road blocks had some fall off his truck right in front of me, but I had enough distance to check my surroundings and switch lanes as if I where simply passing someone.
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #128
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_GT View Post
Give me a valid reason why I can't, there is no harm in keeping it off.
Well, since you can disable it yourself you are free to do as you want. I am not talking about the track. I am talking about normal daily driving. 90%+ of the time, or unless you drive like a jackass all the time, the TC is not going to be invasive. I don't even notice the majority of the time. If you constantly feel it kicking in when driving around town, through neighborhoods, etc it means you are driving like a jackass. Now if you are talking about disabling it when you are on deserted or less used backroads, empty parking lots, the track, etc, than I am with you. I disable it to from time to time. But disabling it 100% of the time to go through a drivethru or driving around town? I don't see the point. It is another safety feature.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #129
Luis_GT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
I am just curious, do you wear your seatbelt? I don't think anyone should rely on it. I think it is a nice extra back-up for a situation that may or may not come up. I wear my seat belt every day despite the fact that I plan to never have an accident.

And I don't know your driving experience. But shit happens, to the best and worst drivers in the world.

It is your choice to drive every day with the VSC off. Just like it is the choice of the car owner that drives around on 12 year old bald tires that are ticking time bombs at 70mph. But, it is still your choice. And we can argue all day about what choice I think you should make, but I am still glad it is your choice.
Don't try and justify TC with things that don't interfere with the way I drive. I use my seatbelt all the time and feel uncomfotable without one, but that doesn't interfere with what I want the car to DO.

I drive at safe distances that give me enough time to react to certain situations, if you don't, you need to go to driving school, I've avoided many accidents because, even though I speed a lot, I keep enough of a safety margin that allows me to calmly think of the situation and do what I need to do to correct it.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #130
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
Swerving can be dangerous, braking is the safest thing you can do in most situations. There is a truck going 70 HEAD ON in your lane though, please feel free to swerve. I think the risks outweigh the certain death that you will face in that situation
You just never know. I do tend to follow people closer than the "two second rule", especially in the left lane when I am trying to pass people. My point is, that you never know what is going to happen on the road in front of you.

Honestly, I am not sure why we are even still arguing. We are clearly at a moral standstill here. I do plenty of stuff on the road that could be deemed "unsafe" by almost anyone. You guys don't see the benefit of the VSC as a back-up system to already honed driving skills and habits for daily commuting.

I know that I am not as focus droning down the highway for 30 minutes every day as I am when I am on the track so I think the VSC is a good and easy back-up for me to just leave on for that one in a million chance that it saves me or my wife in the seat next to me from serious injury or death.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #131
Luis_GT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Well, since you can disable it yourself you are free to do as you want. I am not talking about the track. I am talking about normal daily driving. 90%+ of the time, or unless you drive like a jackass all the time, the TC is not going to be invasive. I don't even notice the majority of the time. If you constantly feel it kicking in when driving around town, through neighborhoods, etc it means you are driving like a jackass. Now if you are talking about disabling it when you are on deserted or less used backroads, empty parking lots, the track, etc, than I am with you. I disable it to from time to time. But disabling it 100% of the time to go through a drivethru or driving around town? I don't see the point. It is another safety feature.
It may not kick in 90% of the time, sure, but if I ain't causing it to kick in, it means I'm driving right, so why should I have it on?

The argument you're using is applicable to both sides.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #132
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Don't try and justify TC with things that don't interfere with the way I drive. I use my seatbelt all the time and feel uncomfotable without one, but that doesn't interfere with what I want the car to DO.

I drive at safe distances that give me enough time to react to certain situations, if you don't, you need to go to driving school, I've avoided many accidents because, even though I speed a lot, I keep enough of a safety margin that allows me to calmly think of the situation and do what I need to do to correct it.
Luis, I tend to be argumentative. Maybe a little overly so. I apologize if I offended you. Like I said, I am glad it is your choice to turn it on and off and in the future I will try to justify why I leave mine on rather than try to convince you why you should leave yours on.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DylanFRS For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (08-30-2013), Luis_GT (08-30-2013), Porsche (08-30-2013), Wyllliam (09-03-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #133
thill

Quote:
It may not kick in 90% of the time, sure, but if I ain't causing it to kick in, it means I'm driving right, so why should I have it on?

The argument you're using is applicable to both sides.
So you are saying TC/VSC offer no benefit when they are on..

Not going to agree:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j8qggahGNH0"]Toyota 86 Traction Control Demonstration [SKIDPAD] - YouTube[/ame]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
cfusionpm (08-30-2013), Jose_Timberlake (09-16-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #134
Luis_GT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
Luis, I tend to be argumentative. Maybe a little overly so. I apologize if I offended you. Like I said, I am glad it is your choice to turn it on and off and in the future I will try to justify why I leave mine on rather than try to convince you why you should leave yours on.
We can both live with our choices, as long as we're both happy with what we choose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luis_GT For This Useful Post:
DylanFRS (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #135
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
i used to drive 1st generation of miata that has no ABS no traction control whatsoever.
even i know how to control of RWD platform, i never turn them off on street. as DylanFRS said unexpected situtation would happen.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #136
Luis_GT
Banned

Quote:
So you are saying TC/VSC offer no benefit when they are on..

Not going to agree:

I've seen that video...

I've driven in a skid pad before in a brand new M5 without traction control and learned how to get out of a situation like that, and at the end of the stint I was close to maintaining a constant drift, until I didn't time my acceleration well and fell out of it.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #137
Noob4Life
86 Noob

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I've seen that video...

I've driven in a skid pad before in a brand new M5 without traction control and learned how to get out of a situation like that, and at the end of the stint I was close to maintaining a constant drift, until I didn't time my acceleration well and fell out of it.
Well what are we all lecturing you for you almost maintained a constant drift on perfectly paved wet pavement on a closed course. You can definitely handle the flawed, public roads of the real world.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #138
Luis_GT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post
Well what are we all lecturing you for you almost maintained a constant drift on perfectly paved wet pavement on a closed course. You can definitely handle the flawed, public roads of the real world.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4
I can tell you that you don't know what bad roads are until you drive in PR.

Your username is appropriate for your lack of argument.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #139
thill

Quote:
I can tell you that you don't know what bad roads are until you drive in PR.

Your username is appropriate for your lack of argument.
Well you don't get snow and ice like we do here. I know for a fact that VSC works. As great as a driver you think you are, you cannot even see black ice usually until it is too late.

At any rate, I don't see the point in continuing this with you. You don't feel that TC/VSC offers any value over your own driving abilities and we will leave it at that. I believe that it does. I would not buy a car without it as a daily driver.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #140
Luis_GT
Banned

Quote:
Well you don't get snow and ice like we do here. I know for a fact that VSC works. As great as a driver you think you are, you cannot even see black ice usually until it is too late.

At any rate, I don't see the point in continuing this with you. You don't feel that TC/VSC offers any value over your own driving abilities and we will leave it at that. I believe that it does. I would not buy a car without it as a daily driver.

VSC won't save you in black ice... My cousin had an experience with black ice once in a truck which had TC... he spun 4 times before coming to a stop, luckily he was only driving at 30MPH.

Not buying a car as a daily because it doesn't have traction control... really? We have a 2005 Sienna which doesn't have TC or VSC that my lil 19 yr old sister DD's, My dad drive an 06 Tundra, which doesn't have TC or VSC either, and he DD's it, never had an accident and both cars have 70K+ miles.

Now you're just saying that no TC is hazardous just because YOU don't trust yourself as a driver.

And try to argue with my dad, who didn't let me buy a 240SX because it didn't have air bags