follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-20-2021, 03:50 PM   #4285
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KxngCorey View Post
Actually Joell at Kraftwerks has helped me alot. And I've had the kit on for about 4.months no issues. Tension has been the same. This is with hard pulls and mountain runs. Tension and belt hasn't skipped a beat. I was asking because of what I read on the forums. I'm guessing people were over tighting and that led to the Kraftwerks kit getting a bad rap. Put this in perspective.
5 months no issues and I blew 2.coilpacks. lol Attachment 205437

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
if mountain runs are what you consider hard driving and works then congratulations. I took this kit to the track and had several failures after getting guidance with their customer service on what to tension the belt at. You must also live in an area with not a lot of temperature swings. living in chicago you'd see a lot of and have to adjust appropriately. glad the kit works out for you, but if you ever intend on tracking it, absolutely forget it. It will not survive 5+ 20 minute sessions lap after lap. This was back in 2015, like I said, I'm jaded and I just hate the fact people buy this kit because there are SO MANY better options that this garbage.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:53 PM   #4286
KxngCorey

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I live in NYC. Crazy temp swings . I have a track day coming up soon and I'll keep y'all posted. But bear mountain isn't a slouch lol

Old 10-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #4287
NotAMiata

Drives: 2015 frs, 2000 Honda s2000,
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
if mountain runs are what you consider hard driving and works then congratulations. I took this kit to the track and had several failures after getting guidance with their customer service on what to tension the belt at. You must also live in an area with not a lot of temperature swings. living in chicago you'd see a lot of and have to adjust appropriately. glad the kit works out for you, but if you ever intend on tracking it, absolutely forget it. It will not survive 5+ 20 minute sessions lap after lap. This was back in 2015, like I said, I'm jaded and I just hate the fact people buy this kit because there are SO MANY better options that this garbage.
Ontario Canada here, I have the 30mm kit on the c30 I bought used, I've done 5x 20 minute track days so far on my kit as well as daily driving for over a year now, haven't had a single issue and we go from 40c+ to -30c. The guy I bought it from is on the east coast and didn't have any issues with it either. Maybe we just happened to get a good kit. I keep the belt pretty "loose" the guy i bought it from said to pinch the belt between index and thumb in the middle of the longest run, and be able to give it a 90 degree twist without much resistance. It also shouldn't make much of a "whining" noise as well. The guide kraftwerks gives you for tensioning the belt is not correct.

On the topic I was thinking of making an auto tensioner system for these kits, would anyone be interested in something like that?
NotAMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:28 PM   #4288
KxngCorey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAMiata View Post
Ontario Canada here, I have the 30mm kit on the c30 I bought used, I've done 5x 20 minute track days so far on my kit as well as daily driving for over a year now, haven't had a single issue and we go from 40c+ to -30c. The guy I bought it from is on the east coast and didn't have any issues with it either. Maybe we just happened to get a good kit. I keep the belt pretty "loose" the guy i bought it from said to pinch the belt between index and thumb in the middle of the longest run, and be able to give it a 90 degree twist without much resistance. It also shouldn't make much of a "whining" noise as well. The guide kraftwerks gives you for tensioning the belt is not correct.

On the topic I was thinking of making an auto tensioner system for these kits, would anyone be interested in something like that?
Yea I haven't had any issues yet. At all. Also... I'll be interested

Old 12-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #4289
KxngCorey

Garage
Posting an update. Still no issues. Modlist is

Deatschwerks 700cc injectors @Xero-Limit flex fuel kit
Kraftwerks Supercharger with track pack
Custom oil cooler
Open flash header
Generic over pipe
Berk Front Pipe
Invidia Q300
ACT 6puck
Lightweight flywheel

PulsarBeeerz (12-01-2021), tomm.brz (12-01-2021), Xero-Limit (12-24-2021)
Old 01-14-2022, 04:52 PM   #4290
Nottcute

Drives: 2014 Raven FR-S
Need help

Pulley that’s connected to the unit head keeps snapping off, this is the second time this has happened . Any ideas ?
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2022, 11:03 PM   #4291
Kboi

Drives: 2018 BRZ
I am trying to get support and opinions on this rotrex blower. It makes this noise at idle and I can hear it even with the hood down. I am possibly going to purchase this kit for my car and I wanted to know if this noise is considered normal for a rotrex?

https://youtube.com/shorts/ssCGJgzyAlo?feature=share
Kboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:48 PM   #4292
DocRecon
Muscle Car to Import

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboi View Post
I am trying to get support and opinions on this rotrex blower. It makes this noise at idle and I can hear it even with the hood down. I am possibly going to purchase this kit for my car and I wanted to know if this noise is considered normal for a rotrex?

https://youtube.com/shorts/ssCGJgzyAlo?feature=share

It's hard to say from the video but it kind of does in a way. The video seems to sound too metallic in the beginning but when closer to the filter it sounds better. Best thing to do is find one in person at a garage or car show, IMO.

Centrifugal superchargers are for the most part quiet inside the car when driving and when compared to other superchargers. They do make a little more rougher noise at idle though until you get up to around 2,000-3,000RPM and then they start sounding good. When punching it and at full acceleration you'll get a beautiful and distinct whine out of it.

My Kraftwerks C38 makes a slight "gear" noise at idle from the belt turning the gears (not the head unit impeller) but it's low and it does make a vacuum cleaner sound where it's sucking the air through the filter. Overall, it should not be too loud or screeching at idle. A lot of the complaints you see on here are when someone has the belt tension way too tight.

I've had my kit now for almost a year and have never had any problems with it, or the tension once I learned to set it correctly. The instructions say to set it at a certain length but they're outdated and wrong (unless Kraftwerks have fixed the issue.....I doubt it, though). Mine is set to almost double what the instructions say at 29.7mm and it sounds great with no belt flap. It's also stayed there without me having to adjust it every day, like some reviews say.

I'm rambling on but just so you know this is a great kit and looks beautiful on the car. May I also suggest Zach at CounterSpace Garage to do your tuning. The man is a god and helped me to not blow my car up after multiple engine mods.
DocRecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:55 PM   #4293
DocRecon
Muscle Car to Import

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottcute View Post
Pulley that’s connected to the unit head keeps snapping off, this is the second time this has happened . Any ideas ?
Something is SERIOUSLY wrong! It shouldn't be that close to your pulleys.
DocRecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:47 PM   #4294
Mykii
Noodleking

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottcute View Post
I've had this happen twice to me. One was because the shop had over tightened the 6 hex bolts and stripped the hub that it screwed into. Two was because I did the same thing and didn't have locktite on them. I had found out that I had been over-tightening my belt (the Rotrex should be silent at idle, and the whine was the first indication of the Rotrex's hub, sunshaft and internals being stressed out). Order a replacement hub from Kraftwerk's, get an impact gun and take it to the hub on the head unit and get locktite for the hub. Then, adjust the belt (typically loosen) so that it gives you a just a little grunt/beltslap upon acceleration, has no slip, and has no whine, when the car is cold. As the car warms up, the belt tightens up and by the time you're at running temp, all should be good.

I've done this and my KW C38 kit has been happy as a clam!
2013 Firestorm FR-S, Kraftwerks C38 kit, FT-86 UEL Catted Headers, TRD D-Tip cat-back, Vibrant 1140 Resonator, Exedy Stage 1 Normal/smoother clutch that replaced the Stage 2 3-puck clutch, Exedy Lightweight flywheel, DSS carbon fiber driveshaft, TEIN springs on performance package Sachs dampers, Megan Racing Inner tie rods, 17x8 +35 Enkei Silver RPF1's, OS-Giken 1.5-way diff, J-Luth steering wheel and now a GKTech angle kit-- which rubs.
Mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:19 PM   #4295
Sawvyeej

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Hey guys, looking to see if I can get any assistance. Just installed a low miles c38 kit I bought from a member. Install was fine and it runs well. My tuner is using OFT to tune it on 91 since I can't afford ecutek at the moment and still running stock injectors, clutch etc. We're having problems where this c38 will want to go beyond 12lbs before redline so it bucks. I have the datazap here:

https://datazap.me/u/sawvyeej86gmail...og=0&data=1-10

What size pulley does the standard c38 come with? What size is recommended to stay at 10lbs? Would like to hear some replies before I take her off again. Thanks!
Sawvyeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:11 PM   #4296
Mykii
Noodleking

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Standard C28 rev 2 and rev 3 are 95mm, the first revision is 90 I think... Not sure what is going to keep it at 10psi, not sure if there's a larger pulley :O
2013 Firestorm FR-S, Kraftwerks C38 kit, FT-86 UEL Catted Headers, TRD D-Tip cat-back, Vibrant 1140 Resonator, Exedy Stage 1 Normal/smoother clutch that replaced the Stage 2 3-puck clutch, Exedy Lightweight flywheel, DSS carbon fiber driveshaft, TEIN springs on performance package Sachs dampers, Megan Racing Inner tie rods, 17x8 +35 Enkei Silver RPF1's, OS-Giken 1.5-way diff, J-Luth steering wheel and now a GKTech angle kit-- which rubs.
Mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 03:56 PM   #4297
KxngCorey

Garage
Idler Bolt

Supercharger and belt still running good. But having an issue with the Idler pulley backing out. The Idler pulley bolt snapped. I replaced it with a longer Bolt, Placed white out on the tip of the bolt and test drove it for about 5 mins. I noticed that the bolt again backed it self out slightly. How tight is tight with this idler bolt and and tips on keeping it tight? Like everyone else, this would be the perfect kit if the tensioner was automatic lmao
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2023, 10:37 AM   #4298
projek_01

Drives: 1996 ST204, Series 10 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
^not sure if you already fixed it but the threads on that part look pretty messed up. That might be the reason why it backs out under load. The longer bolt might be bottoming out and not holding the idler pully tightly.

1. check the threads.
2. get the correct bolt length.

Like most people, I ruined my first C30 due to the improper belt tension instructions and also had the pulley fall off because I didn't use lock-tite. After leaving the belt on the looser side of things, I have had no issues in hot or cold weather. Easy $2000 mistake.