follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
hypebrz
IG: @HypeBRZ

Drives: Series.Hyperblue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
hypebrz's BRZ "Release Series.Hyperblue 1.0", Sakura さくら

Hey everybody, this is my 2016 Series.Hyperblue BRZ, Sakura (さくら)! This is my first manual transmission, and also my first very own new car, so it's been quite the learning experience! I made this thread to share my build and answer questions about her as I finish it.

This car is my daily driver, and I don't plan on doing any autoX, tracking, or racing. Spirited drives and hard parking are what this car will entertain me with when I'm not going to work Attempted "Release Series" build!

I got her from the dealership on 1/25/2016. #396/504 HyperBlues.

Exterior / Lighting:
STi Rear Spats
STi Valve Stem Caps
STi Front Badge from FT86SF
STi Rear Badge from FT86SF
STi tS Trunk Badge

Release Series 1.0 Front Lip
Release Series 1.0 Side Skirts (Still Need Paint)
Release Series 1.0 Fender Garnishes (Still Need Paint)

✔ FR-S Bumper Swap with Fog Light Bezels
✔ Winjet FR-S Fog Lights
✔ Winjet FR-S Headlamps (Black Housing)

✔ Blue LED License Plate Lights by Diode Dynamics
✔ Blue Nebula Subaru Logo Overlays (Front/Rear)
✔ Custom Black Texas License Plate (HYPEBRZ)
✔ Carbon Fiber License Plate Frames
✔ Carbon Fiber Door Handle Covers
✔ Carbon Fiber Gas Tank Cap Cover
✔ Carbon Fiber Mirror Covers
✔ Carbon Fiber Rexspeed Hood Damper Kit
✔ Carbon Creations GT Wing
✔ Valenti Smoked Tail Lights (Black Edition)
✔ Valenti Smoked "Third Brake Light" (Black Edition)
✔ Helix Smoked Side Markers
✔ Rally Armor UR Mud Flaps (Black/Blue)
✔ Window Tint (Limo tint on rear, back corners, 35% front)
✔ Gloss Black Roof Wrap
✔ Red Calipers
✔ Hyperblue Engine Cover
✔ Badge Removal/Relocation
✔ Five Axis Designs Trunklid Spoiler

-Flat Black Calipers
-6000K HID Headlights by Diode Dynamics
-6000k LED Fog Lights by Diode Dynamics
-Amber LED Side Marker Bulbs by Diode Dynamics
-Carbon Fiber Seibon FA Hood
-Rear Window Louvers

Interior / Lighting:
STi JDM Push To Start button (Without Status Light)
STi Dual A/C Knobs

✔ Blue Nebula Subaru Logo Overlay
✔ Blue Nebula Shift Knob by Billetworkz
✔ Blue Subispeed Spin Turn Drift Button
✔ Blue LED Dome Light by Diode Dynamics
✔ Blue LED Trunk Light by Diode Dynamics
✔ Blue LED Door Courtesy Lights by Diode Dynamics
✔ Blue Raceseng Reverse Lockout
✔ Blue Carbon Fiber Hydrodipped Trim
✔ Seat Warmer Button Trim
✔ Toyota GT86 Black Door Handles
✔ Toyota GT86 Black Traction Control Buttons
✔ Toyota GT86 Black Dash Trim

-Purple Gauge and Dash LED Bulb Conversion

Engine / Exhaust / Performance / Dressup:
STi Oil Filter
-STi Oil Filler Cap
-STi Radiator Cap
-STi Battery Tie-Down
-STi Transmission Mount
-Injen Short Ram Intake
-Invidia N1 Catback Exhaust (w/ Titanium Tips)
-Nameless Catted and Resonated FP / OP
-Tomei Expreme UEL Headers
-Open Flash Tablet w/ Stage II UEL E85 Tune

Suspension / Handling:
✔ H&R Sport Springs
-STi Flexible Strut Tower Brace
-Koni Sport / Yellow Struts (F/R)
-Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace

Wheels / Tires / Brakes:
✔ Niche Targa 18x8 +40mm Front (Black)
✔ Niche Targa 18x9.5 +40mm Rear (Black)
✔ Michelin Pilot Super Sport 235/40 R18 Front
✔ Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/35 R18 Rear

-"Tag Your Tire" White Tire Lettering
-STi Lug Nuts (Blue)
-Stoptech Slotted Rotors

Last edited by hypebrz; 02-13-2017 at 11:06 AM.
hypebrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hypebrz For This Useful Post:
one2onejackpot (10-18-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
hypebrz

Garage
UPDATES (3/31/2016, 4/3/2016, 4/6/2016)

UPDATE: As of yesterday (3/30/16) The car is finished with repairs. Only thing left is to rebadge the car, and reprogram the airbags!
UPDATE: As of today (4/3/2016) The car has been badged (BRZ badge now where it would say FR-S on the Scion, and no "Subaru" lettering, in order to make room for my Rocket Bunny Spoiler)! The airbags will be reprogrammed tomorrow, and the build should begin!
UPDATE: As of yesterday (4/5/2016) The dealership informed be that the body shop never installed the seat belts back on, and as such, they can't reprogram the airbags. Also, the dealership doesn't have them in stock, and the shop got rid of the original seatbelt and buckle (go figure), so they are on order. No idea when it will be finished as of now.

Last edited by hypebrz; 04-07-2016 at 12:14 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hypebrz For This Useful Post:
Inextirpable (03-31-2016), mixtape (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #3
hypebrz

Garage
UPDATE (4/7/2016)

As of yesterday afternoon (4/6/2016), the dealership finished up the seat belt and buckle installation, and re-programmed the airbags. As soon as the body shop gets the car back, they are going to release it to me (assuming I don't find any problems with the finished product). Here is a quick snap I got at the dealership. I test drove the car, and everything seemed to be in working order.

EDIT: Sakura will be ready for pickup in a few hours

Last edited by hypebrz; 05-09-2016 at 12:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hypebrz For This Useful Post:
JoeS (10-26-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
hypebrz

Garage
Let the build begin!

First day back!

First thing I did was install my Spyder tail lights, shift knob, license plates and frames, Raceseng reverse lockout, and the carbon fiber exterior pieces. Pictures later when I have time off of work.
Upcoming installs will be the new Rocket Bunny rep spoiler, Always-On module, and new bulbs for headlights, fog lights, dome light, trunk light, and license plate lights. Hopefully get all those done tomorrow.
Sunday I'll try to tackle the STi lip kit, side markers, STi push to start, get the windows tinted, and give her a nice wash and detail! Lots of work to catch up on

Last edited by hypebrz; 04-19-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #5
hypebrz

Garage
Well, it's been a busy couple of days. Got mostly everything installed. Problems I ran into included the always-on module by DD, didn't work (no surprise) and the LED fogs by DD, also didn't work (very surprised, as I've heard only great things).

Here are some pictures taken throughout the week, but weather has been horrible in Texas lately:

I got the STi kit installed, and with side skirts and aprons being OEM, they went on perfectly. 3M tape, and some self-tapping screws did the job. Didn't even bother to read the instructions. However the Bayson R front lip fitment is horrible, and I will be getting the genuine STi product in the future. Finish on the Bayson R was impressive however, so I think I will keep it on for a while.

I really, REALLY, love the look of the Rocket Bunny V2. Thought it would be a little too big, but have gotten so many compliments at car shows, I know I made a good choice. For being a replica, fitment was amazing. Two self-tapping screws through where the original OEM spoiler had plastic clips, and into the bottom of the RB. Couldn't be happier.

Installed blue LED trunk light, license plate lights, and door courtesy lights, all by Diode Dynamics, and they look amazing. It feels like a much more modern vehicle, and the blue vs the red dash and HVAC lights contrast each other pretty well. I'll post updates once I get more pictures of the LED's.

Last edited by hypebrz; 04-19-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #6
hypebrz

Garage
Blue LED interior dome light by Diode Dynamics. My first impression was that this was an awesome upgrade. The car is illuminated far more than stock, and I love how it compliments the Hyperblue stitching all around the interior. The only complaint I have, is that it's more of a purplish-blue, and doesn't match the blue Door Courtesy lights at all, that are also by Diode Dynamics. No biggie, though.

Billetworks shift knob, and Raceseng reverse lockout. My first thoughts on the shift knob were that the "Galaxy" finish isn't really that detailed. It still looks pleasing, but I was expecting a bit more for a $90 product. The shape and weight of the knob are actually pretty great, and it does help me shift a bit smoother than the OEM knob. I have no regrets with this purchase, but when it's time to replace this one, I'll go with another option.

The Raceseng RLO looks pretty great, and the blue is almost an exact match for "BRZ" the stitching in the seats, which isn't actually Hyperblue color. Other than looks, it feels and operates just like stock RLO, and even though it's a metal and not plastic, it doesn't feel the slightest bit heavier on the pull. During installation, I lost the allen screw that holds it in place, and couldn't go into reverse for a few days (that was an...interesting week) but Raceseng's excellent customer service got a replacement screw sent out with only paying shipping costs to them. Overall, I'm completely satisfied with it. My mistake is your entertainment though, as you can see I superglued a rivet in the RLO to act as a screw until the replacement came in

Helix Smoked Side Markers. These were a pain in the *** to install. Mostly trying to get the orange ones off, but once they're off, the switchover was extremely simple. They look amazing, and they're not too dark nor too light for my taste.

The Rexpeed Carbon hood dampers are pretty neat guys. The mounting position is a bit weird, and opposite of the other branded damper kits. Also, the build quality and finish of the Rexpeed is impressive, although I can't compare to others because I haven't used them. They open the hood pretty fast, and higher than stock. Have had no problems other than install, which the details of it are in my other thread that I will link to below. For $80 at ft86speedfactory, why not?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104377

The mudflaps were a bit of a challenge to put on with the STi body kit, and I still don't think I did it right, but they're on, they're secure, and they look fine. So I don't really care what the "correct" way of installing these was. I didn't even use the front brackets at all

Also got the windows tinted. Limo tint in the back corners and rear window, and 35% in the front.

She's had quite a busy week! More pics to come, especially ones that are better than iPhone quality, when the weather lets up next week!

Upcoming plans include Valenti tails and reverse lights, OEM STi front lip, and Niche Misano wheels. I should have all this together in the next few weeks!

Last edited by hypebrz; 05-12-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
hypebrz

Garage
Just got the new wheels mounted, they're Niche Misano 17x8. I decided to go with the gunmetal because almost every other Hyperblue has black rims, stock or aftermarket. Currently she's still on stock tires, with Michelin PSS coming soon in 245/40/R17.

After 300 miles with the new wheels, they feel amazing. I always read how lighter wheels are a better choice in every aspect, and I'm sure this holds true in tracking and autoX, but these are 4 lbs. heavier than stock per wheel, with 16 lbs. added in total. I feel the car is far more planted from the extra weight, and I don't notice ANY negative impacts in handling during my daily driving, or spirited drives yesterday and today.

Thunderstorms have been hitting here for a while now, and they're gonna continue for the next week or so. I'll update this thread with more pictures when the sun decides to come out lol

Last edited by hypebrz; 04-19-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
hypebrz

Garage
New license plates came in!

Valenti smoked/white tail lights and smoked reverse lights should be delivered soon, and that will pretty much finish up the cosmetics on the back. The car is going back to the dealership next week to fix an issue with the trunk not opening that the body shop didn't fix when they put my car back together. This is also when they're going to put my "BRZ" badge back on, since they ordered the silver ones during the repair process and need to take it to a dealer to get the black badges. The "BRZ" is going to most likely go to the right of the license plate, where it would say "FR-S" on a Scion.

I will be replacing all the pictures on this thread soon with higher resolution photos when the weather cooperates!

Last edited by hypebrz; 04-19-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:12 PM   #9
hypebrz

Garage
Valenti tail lights installed! I think these are miles better than OEM and Spyder versions. I thought about waiting for the REVO but got a great deal on these and the reverse light from another member here that I couldn't pass up! Thanks again, @pansontw!

Next, and final cosmetic install before I start on the performance aspect, is the Valenti reverse light, or "third brake light". If anyone has tips on installing this without taking off the rear diffuser, I'm all ears. Going to probably hold off on this one until I can figure something out since I'm not at all comfortable with removing the bumper.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
hypebrz

Garage
Just a transformation pic of the build so far. I've gotten a lot of negative comments about the choice of wheel color, and a lot of "go back to black bro" comments lol, but I think this color looks amazing, and once I get my carbon fiber hood and partial wrap the roof gloss black, I'm gonna be glad to have something to offset the amount of black on the car.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:32 PM   #11
hypebrz

Garage
Finally got around to installing the Valenti Reverse Light. Install was pretty simple, just extremely time consuming, especially with the diffuser on. Also changed from the knock-off ebay STi badge to the OEM from FT86SpeedFactory

Old 05-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #12
hypebrz

Garage
Just a night shot of today's installs. Follow on Instagram guys! @hypebrz

Old 05-03-2016, 10:33 PM   #13
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
i'm digging 90% of it. GJ!
hypebrz (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 10:34 PM   #14
hypebrz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
i'm digging 90% of it. GJ!
I appreciate it!

Last edited by hypebrz; 06-09-2016 at 03:06 PM.