follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
Sad sad day when a MT is no longer offered in an M3 (idk why they called the 4 door one the m3 and the coupe an m4, so silly)
It has to do with dollars & cents. The M4 will be more expensive than the M3 and in BMW tradition the higher the number the more higher on the model line up. It's just as simple as that. BMW afficianados will understand that.

I skipped the E92 M3, after my not so good experience with the E46 M3, but I'm thinking of going back. The one in that picture might have be in a nasty color, but you can't argue against ANYTHING that's got an M on the trunk. My next car will be a toss up between the Cayman S or a M4. The BRZ is my first and last Subaru for sure. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun little car, but IMHO it's more of a weekend/project car than a DD. If you're used to driving cars in the Sports Luxury category, it's difficult to do without the luxury part of the equation. This hit me in the face when I got into my friend's recently purchased RS5. Sure it isn't 2700 lbs. and yes it costs more than double of what a BRZ costs, but once you've been coddled in sport luxury, it's hard to go back. Just my 2 cents.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
Ammonia

Drives: Whiteout FRS, Audi A4, 135i (sold)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
It has to do with dollars & cents. The M4 will be more expensive than the M3 and in BMW tradition the higher the number the more higher on the model line up. It's just as simple as that. BMW afficianados will understand that.
I must be the most ignorant BMW afficianado then.

Quote:

Sure it isn't 2700 lbs. and yes it costs more than double of what a BRZ costs, but once you've been coddled in sport luxury, it's hard to go back. Just my 2 cents.

Eh, its not all its cracked up to be. I came from a newer BMW with all the luxury and all the power, I still enjoy the 'drive' of the FR-S more. I miss the blinding speed of my 135i with ~430whp/~500wtq though.

Then again, I'm only 25, so maybe I have to get all this sports car fever out of my system.
Ammonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #17
zoomzoomers

Quote:
I must be the most ignorant BMW afficianado then.

Eh, its not all its cracked up to be. I came from a newer BMW with all the luxury and all the power, I still enjoy the 'drive' of the FR-S more. I miss the blinding speed of my 135i with ~430whp/~500wtq though.

Then again, I'm only 25, so maybe I have to get all this sports car fever out of my system.
You had one Bimmer and call yourself an afficanado? I've had over 8 and still dont' consider myself one. To each their own. In either case, when it comes to 4 door or 2, majority of the time the coupes are more expensive. Or higher up on the model line up. Even though they're easier and cheaper to make. Go figure... That's why I was pointing out that the reasoning behind why the coupe is the 4 instead of the 3. Did you have a point on the matter?
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Car culture and aficionado does not work well together.

Ah yes lets go have some wine and cheese with my M3.
Ammonia (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #19
Ammonia

Quote:
You had one Bimmer and call yourself an afficanado? I've had over 8 and still dont' consider myself one. To each their own. In either case, when it comes to 4 door or 2, majority of the time the coupes are more expensive. Or higher up on the model line up. Even though they're easier and cheaper to make. Go figure... That's why I was pointing out that the reasoning behind why the coupe is the 4 instead of the 3. Did you have a point on the matter?

I'm sure everyone here is foaming at the mouth at your 8 bmws you've owned.

I was being snarky because apparently me asking about the M4 nomenclature was a no-brainer. If you frequent e90 post at all you'd know where I'm coming from. The name makes no sense, as you know Mr. I've-owned-8-BMWs, the E46 only came in a coupe and that is considered one of the best M3s made, along with the E30.
Besides, saying the price difference is the reason why the M3 and M4 are named the way they are because of price is asinine. They're both "3-series", technically, in everything but name. The pricing is about the same.

I consider myself an "afficianado" because I like BMWs. Do YOU have a point?
Old 08-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
If you're used to driving cars in the Sports Luxury category, it's difficult to do without the luxury part of the equation. This hit me in the face when I got into my friend's recently purchased RS5. Sure it isn't 2700 lbs. and yes it costs more than double of what a BRZ costs, but once you've been coddled in sport luxury, it's hard to go back. Just my 2 cents.
Bah! I came from an E60 550i Sport that I tracked thrice. Yes, the 550i's amazing seats and Logic 7 stereo are better. However, as a driver's and modder's car, there, there is no comparison. None at all.

I can see myself installing Recaro ventilated seats, or making grabbing the ventilated seat out of a Kia Forte. I can see myself upgrading the stereo, brakes, and suspension then installing a turbo or supercharger. I cannot see myself going back to a BMW unless they come out with a 135i under 3000lbs or if some injury makes me to frail to use the FR-S.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
Car culture and aficionado does not work well together.

Ah yes lets go have some wine and cheese with my M3.
Sounds fun, actually.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #22
zoomzoomers

Quote:
I'm sure everyone here is foaming at the mouth at your 8 bmws you've owned.

I was being snarky because apparently me asking about the M4 nomenclature was a no-brainer. If you frequent e90 post at all you'd know where I'm coming from. The name makes no sense, as you know Mr. I've-owned-8-BMWs, the E46 only came in a coupe and that is considered one of the best M3s made, along with the E30.
Besides, saying the price difference is the reason why the M3 and M4 are named the way they are because of price is asinine. They're both "3-series", technically, in everything but name. The pricing is about the same.

I consider myself an "afficianado" because I like BMWs. Do YOU have a point?
Well Mr. 400 hp 135i afficianado hahahaha. I guess you no read very well does you? I think I've made my point on two different occasions if you were able to put the letters together above. Should I waste my time on another attempt??? I'd rather not.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
Ammonia

Quote:
Well Mr. 400 hp 135i afficianado hahahaha. I guess you no read very well does you? I think I've made my point on two different occasions if you were able to put the letters together above. Should I waste my time on another attempt??? I'd rather not.

You sound like a very respectable individual, and we all are blessed by your presence. Please return sometime soon to bestow on us more precious tidbits of information, so we peons with only one prior bmw ownership can become true 'afficianados'.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #24
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:

I skipped the E92 M3, after my not so good experience with the E46 M3, but I'm thinking of going back. The one in that picture might have be in a nasty color, but you can't argue against ANYTHING that's got an M on the trunk. My next car will be a toss up between the Cayman S or a M4. The BRZ is my first and last Subaru for sure. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun little car, but IMHO it's more of a weekend/project car than a DD. If you're used to driving cars in the Sports Luxury category, it's difficult to do without the luxury part of the equation. This hit me in the face when I got into my friend's recently purchased RS5. Sure it isn't 2700 lbs. and yes it costs more than double of what a BRZ costs, but once you've been coddled in sport luxury, it's hard to go back. Just my 2 cents.
That's different for everyone... I have a E39 530i and my father has an E93 M3 (which I've put 9K miles of the 13K it already has) and I don't lack anything in my FR-S apart from leather seats and auto dim rear view mirror...

Last edited by Luis_GT; 08-16-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #25
zoomzoomers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_GT View Post
That's different for everyone... I have a E39 530i and my father has an E93 M3 (which I've put 9K miles of the 13K it already has) and I don't lack anything in my FR-S apart from leather seats and auto dim rear view mirror...
Of course, everyone is different in terms of what they can and cannot do with in a DD, but man when you get into a car with a nice interior there's a noticable difference. It's also true that every time I come accross a stretch of twisty roads I quickly forget all that, but I live in the land of bumper to bumper traffic. So having some luxuries does play a part.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #26
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Did no one else notice the M1 Concept in the background?
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #27
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Of course, everyone is different in terms of what they can and cannot do with in a DD, but man when you get into a car with a nice interior there's a noticable difference. It's also true that every time I come accross a stretch of twisty roads I quickly forget all that, but I live in the land of bumper to bumper traffic. So having some luxuries does play a part.
Aside from the missing leather... what's nicer in a BMW? I honestly can't find one single thing I would put into my FR-S...
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #28
zoomzoomers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_GT View Post
Aside from the missing leather... what's nicer in a BMW? I honestly can't find one single thing I would put into my FR-S...
It's more of a subjective thing, but it's one you can easily feel when you sit in nicer car. Not just a BMW. I guess I just miss that part. I'll keep the BRZ as a weekend car to enjoy, but as a DD, that I spend hours each day in, I'd prefer something with a bit more luxury along with the sport.