follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #85
Hachiroku
Administrator

Drives: Boxster 986
Thanked 1,977 Times in 344 Posts
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
apparently you didn't look at the article he linked...

it was as credible as the front page of the onion
Relax kimosabe, hence the "rumor" part in the title. It's been posted for discussions sake.
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #86
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
A hp upgraded one will sell at a higher price point. That alone will kill some demand. Not to mention the competition gets much tougher the higher the price goes...part of the reason they're selling so well is that they're reasonably affordable. Hell, even at their current prices people are complaining they're priced too high...

If Toyota's smart, they'll keep it N/A, keep selling the crap out of them, and let the aftermarket worry about additional power...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
The current MSRP is too high(I always thought by $1.5-$2k), the 2013 Accord EX(and lesser trims) is evidence of this. I had previously accepted the dollar to yen excuse as a valid reason, not anymore. Look at all the things you get for $25k and less with any of the 2013 Accord models and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Yes, obviously they aren't in the same class, but we're talking about what you get for every dollar spent. The vehicle type is irrelevant.

edited to add: I must be the only one who remembers when this car was first announced that the target was a sub-$20k price.
would love to know what this car can be built for!.this baby's got some serious "mark-up" in it,and as much as i love the car,if ya really look at the car close up,there isn't a whole hell of a lot to it! really! just sayin'
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #87
subatoy

Drives: subatoy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_STiG View Post
do I hear a $30K price tag?
I would SO pay that much for this car. these are the balls the car needs.
besides there are already people who paid that much for the current BRZ
people are also spending $3k on this car to get pitty 15whp.
this car would come with a lot more power for that much money plus a warranty.
subatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #88
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
apparently you didn't look at the article he linked...

it was as credible as the front page of the onion
I did and like most of the folks who have been here know that anything can happen. Both Tada and Takeshi have gone off on so many tangents and played so many mind games just to fool the consumer. They've got something up their sleeve.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #89
luis

Drives: --
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
straight direct injection is a step backward. they *need* to keep both port & DI. it's the only way - unless you want cookie cutter tuning. look at all the other DI cars ... no aftermarket injector support. not to mention carbon buildup on the intake valves.
luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #90
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
The current MSRP is too high(I always thought by $1.5-$2k), the 2013 Accord EX(and lesser trims) is evidence of this. I had previously accepted the dollar to yen excuse as a valid reason, not anymore. Look at all the things you get for $25k and less with any of the 2013 Accord models and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Yes, obviously they aren't in the same class, but we're talking about what you get for every dollar spent. The vehicle type is irrelevant.

edited to add: I must be the only one who remembers when this car was first announced that the target was a sub-$20k price.
I, too, recall this claim. I honestly think they jumped the gun when they announced that as we know the car costs not even $20k for them to build. I only believe this because the car's made of so many borrowed parts. Remove the R&D (or suppose the R&D eventually pays for itself within 10 years) and I honestly believe this car could sell for sub-$20k. However, that won't happen.

I think it's silly to say, "See what you can get for the same money" since there's really nothing to compare it to. For $25k I could put a nice down payment on a house. What's your point? I still wouldn't have a BRZ if I spent the money elsewhere, especially on something less exciting to drive!
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #91
jimmillion
Power Ranger Elite

Drives: '13 WRB Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have no proof nor am I endorsed by anyone, but I just wanted to say N/A4life - carry on.

jimmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmillion For This Useful Post:
Guff (10-23-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #92
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori. View Post
Hey as long as this turbo engine from the Leg/WRX swaps in painlessly, I'm cool with it
EXACTLY... Just means more options. Whether they do or do not release that engine/turbo combo in the BRZ. Aftermarket supercharger - check. Aftermarket turbo - check. OEM engine swap for turbo forced induction option - check.

The more options the more diverse and crazy the BRZ/FRS cars are going to be we will be seeing, driving and enjoying here in the next coupla years.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #93
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Quote:
Originally Posted by subatoy View Post
I would SO pay that much for this car. these are the balls the car needs.
besides there are already people who paid that much for the current BRZ
people are also spending $3k on this car to get pitty 15whp.
this car would come with a lot more power for that much money plus a warranty.
I seriously doubt IF they do release a turbo version it will be $30K MSRP. It will probably also have better wheels and brakes not just turbo. I would be shocked if it was anything less than $34K MSRP (would be marked up initially like current cars are too).
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #94
Subie
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 SSM DZE BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
For 2014 we might see two new twins on the market:

1) A turbo BRZ producing 250+ HP with a small turbo producing very little lag at low RPMs.
2) A Scion FR-S release series 1.0, with a body kit inspired by Ken Gushi's hair, 20" chromed cast iron DUB edition wheels and underglow, for only slightly more than the cost of a BRZ Limited.
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Subie For This Useful Post:
Guff (10-23-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #95
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

What about all the things you get with an FR-S that you don't get with the Accord? Works both ways.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #96
BobDigi5060

Drives: 2008 Mustang
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Oh and also a turbo BRZ would steal sales from Subaru's flagship - the next Subaru STI.
The turbo BRZ will be an STi.......
BobDigi5060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #97
jkonquer

Drives: 2005 Subaru STI
Here is my take.

If you look at most of the aftermarket turbo kits for brz, they are placed at unreasonable positions in the engine bay. When i say unreasonable, i meant unrealible and problematic for factory stand point. And engine bay is so compact that there isnt really a proper placement for a turbocharger. With that said i highly doubt they will make turbocharger for brz. It literaly is designing a new engine compartment.

However im sure you will be able to use turbo parts from legacy engine on brz engine. Thus making it more reliable and capable engine for brz.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #98
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkonquer View Post
Here is my take.

If you look at most of the aftermarket turbo kits for brz, they are placed at unreasonable positions in the engine bay. When i say unreasonable, i meant unrealible and problematic for factory stand point. And engine bay is so compact that there isnt really a proper placement for a turbocharger. With that said i highly doubt they will make turbocharger for brz. It literaly is designing a new engine compartment.

However im sure you will be able to use turbo parts from legacy engine on brz engine. Thus making it more reliable and capable engine for brz.

Let's play Find The Turbo on this factory EJ25!

Yeah, all Turbo Boxer engines have their turbos in unusual and impractical places. That's the fallacy of having an exhaust manifold on the bottom.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote