follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2016, 06:01 AM   #1
rawafoo

Drives: Orange GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A Friend's Supercharger brz build needs help

Hi Guys,

I got a friend here who has a subaru brz

Current mods:

- Kraftwerks c30-94 supercharger kit
- agency power headers
- tomei overpipe
- tomei 3 inch titanium catless front pipe
- tomei 3 inch titanium catback
- tomioka water and alternator pulley
- cusco catch can
- clutchmasters fx350 with lightweight flywheel
- driveshaft shop aluminum driveshaft + axles

his car is runing great, has been supercharged for a year now, going to dyno it again the next couple of days.

last dyno was last year without the clutchmasters and driveshaft shop upgrades and he had a agency power frontpipe + over pipe combo that was 2.5inch catted and it got him around 270 whp on 98 ron (around 93oct)

now he wants more power and wants some recommendations.

- should he go with the smaller pulley for more boost or should he go c38 upgrade?
- which injectors, fuel pump, pictons, rods, etc do you guys recommend to use?
- if he goes c38 upgrade, do you guys recommend him going with the hks stroker 2.1l kit with cams or should he just get a piston/rod set up?
- what do you think are the most numbers he can get as he does want to reach over 430whp ~ 450whp (if possible 500whp even though he doubts it) , not to forget the best fuel available here is 93oct.

Awaiting your feedback guys

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rawafoo; 01-03-2016 at 06:29 AM.
rawafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Is E85 available in your area? That would give him some more power.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
If he wants over 400whp, he's definitely going to need the bigger supercharger, and a built engine. I don't know that I would bother with the stroker kit, just stronger pistons/rods/bolts.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Best fuel is 93 then I'd go with the stroker kit. The C38 is no slouch and there's been a few popped stock engines around to prove it. As far as fueling upgrades I would let the tuner he uses suggest those, but I bet he's going to need them.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
rawafoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
Is E85 available in your area? That would give him some more power.
unfortunately not best fuel here is 93 oct
Old 01-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #6
rawafoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
If he wants over 400whp, he's definitely going to need the bigger supercharger, and a built engine. I don't know that I would bother with the stroker kit, just stronger pistons/rods/bolts.
alright probably we'll let the stroket kit off then, pistons rods bolts are next hopefully, any recommendations on brands?
Old 01-05-2016, 12:33 PM   #7
rawafoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Best fuel is 93 then I'd go with the stroker kit. The C38 is no slouch and there's been a few popped stock engines around to prove it. As far as fueling upgrades I would let the tuner he uses suggest those, but I bet he's going to need them.
tuners here have a, lets say, not so well reputation, one car works and the other breaks the engine. thats why most people started data logging and sending to tuners world wide to get a proper tune
Old 01-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #8
EJ20

Drives: NA8C, GDB, and R50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawafoo View Post
tuners here have a, lets say, not so well reputation, one car works and the other breaks the engine. thats why most people started data logging and sending to tuners world wide to get a proper tune
People here have no idea about the right afr's reading, knocks, stuck vvti, or any other abnormallity. Thats why you see many exploding engines!!!!! Hell, my younger brother is in his 5th engine (chevy zl1) in less than 18 months. And he would not listen to me and invest in at least an afr gauge!!!!!!

Since your in middle east.... if your going above 300whp in the FA, its better to lower the CR and cooling cooling cooling. I have seen many 86/brz wity serous (sp!!) overheats in a 20 min track days, and most of them where NA, not even turbo !!!

وفالك التوفيق ياخوي
Old 01-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #9
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawafoo View Post
alright probably we'll let the stroket kit off then, pistons rods bolts are next hopefully, any recommendations on brands?

Talk to your tuner about the specifics, especially C/R.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #10
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
A Friend's Supercharger brz build needs help

If I remember right the stroker kit comes in a 9.5:1 CR or a 10.5:1 CR. Which if an end result is 430whp-450whp on pump gas than the lower CR should help you to run more boost to achieve those numbers. Not sure if the rods were made to sustain that amount of power though. I would contact HKS to be sure. Or you can run a lower CR with forged rods and lower CR pistons. If your friend gets it all to work I hope you post up the results
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #11
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Most of the time stroker kits are forged. I would have no idea why they would offer basically longer OEM rods. You wont need to run as much boost to target 430-450whp. Lower CR and built motor is a must.

The easiest way to do it is to have a shop do it, which the classics, FBM, MAP and a bunch of other vendors on here who know what their actually doing can help imensely.

Youll want to visit the FI cooling track management thread, since you live in the middle east, youll want to pull every trick in the book.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:24 AM   #12
rawafoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ20 View Post
People here have no idea about the right afr's reading, knocks, stuck vvti, or any other abnormallity. Thats why you see many exploding engines!!!!! Hell, my younger brother is in his 5th engine (chevy zl1) in less than 18 months. And he would not listen to me and invest in at least an afr gauge!!!!!!

Since your in middle east.... if your going above 300whp in the FA, its better to lower the CR and cooling cooling cooling. I have seen many 86/brz wity serous (sp!!) overheats in a 20 min track days, and most of them where NA, not even turbo !!!

وفالك التوفيق ياخوي
we ran the car on dyno last night it got 276.5 whp and 200tq,and yes i know what your talking about with the tuners, sh*t.

the car isnt heating up even in the mid of summer when it reaches over 50 degrees, but again we've had it for 3 years and it has just over 10k kilometers on it so its really not getting driven that much being used on weekends for some street racing when the weather is nice lol

اجمعين يالحبيب تسلم
Old 01-06-2016, 12:28 AM   #13
rawafoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
If I remember right the stroker kit comes in a 9.5:1 CR or a 10.5:1 CR. Which if an end result is 430whp-450whp on pump gas than the lower CR should help you to run more boost to achieve those numbers. Not sure if the rods were made to sustain that amount of power though. I would contact HKS to be sure. Or you can run a lower CR with forged rods and lower CR pistons. If your friend gets it all to work I hope you post up the results
will keep u posted for sure thanks!
Old 01-06-2016, 12:38 AM   #14
rawafoo

[video][ame]http://youtu.be/Ic4VD346CWI[/ame][/video]

Tags
brz, fuel, subaru, supercharge, upgrade