follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #1667
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Volt, 02 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevs753 View Post
I wonder if they would even be able to tell the difference even if they did check. Do the springs look any different? The cars come from the same factory. Either way, It's still cheating so I probably won't do it.
There are 2 ways to get caught:

1) At nationals some classes are selected randomly to have some random component checked across the whole field for compliance. Nothing to worry about here at a local/divisional level.

2) If someone believes your car is illegal and checks it. At national events you are required to open your car up, pop off a wheel, and anyone in your class is allowed to visually inspect your car. If they see something illegal, they can file a protest. This can happen at a local level too, but most people don't care that much, unless it's a blatant disregard for the rulebook/classing structure and because of it you are competitive or crushing the class.

The best policy to have is to be open with your competitors about what you are running. Alert registration and/or your competitors the morning of "hey, I have this modification, I know it is illegal per the rules but I would like to run the class because I don't think it's a significant advantage, are you ok with that?" If someone takes issue, just run STX or w/e class the car is actually legal for and still have some fun.
2005-06: #192 ES 91 MR2 N/A Hardtop
2007-08: #54 STX 05 WRX Sedan
2009-12: #92 BSP/ASP 07 Solstice GXP
2013-14 : #192 CS 13 Subaru BRZ
Sccabrz192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #1668
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I think that if you'll have illegal parts, winning won't be all that fulfilling. If that was me, I'd be getting a nagging feeling that I only won/trophied cause I cheated.

If one is gonna bother with disassembling suspension pieces - get better shocks and stay legal. You'd be faster too.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #1669
Sevs753

Drives: BRZ, Canyon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccabrz192 View Post
There are 2 ways to get caught:

1) At nationals some classes are selected randomly to have some random component checked across the whole field for compliance. Nothing to worry about here at a local/divisional level.

2) If someone believes your car is illegal and checks it. At national events you are required to open your car up, pop off a wheel, and anyone in your class is allowed to visually inspect your car. If they see something illegal, they can file a protest. This can happen at a local level too, but most people don't care that much, unless it's a blatant disregard for the rulebook/classing structure and because of it you are competitive or crushing the class.

The best policy to have is to be open with your competitors about what you are running. Alert registration and/or your competitors the morning of "hey, I have this modification, I know it is illegal per the rules but I would like to run the class because I don't think it's a significant advantage, are you ok with that?" If someone takes issue, just run STX or w/e class the car is actually legal for and still have some fun.
Yah, I'm only planning on running local events. I'd still like to be somewhat competitive though which is why I want to stay in RTR/Street. Next spring, I'll probably just ask one of the Local chairs about what they think of running FRS springs and decide from there.
Sevs753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #1670
dsgerbc

Quote:
I'll probably just ask one of the Local chairs about what they think of running FRS springs and decide from there.
Locally, you should ask all the drivers in the class you want to run in at every driver's meeting, not the chair, or not only the chair.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #1671
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Volt, 02 WRX
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
I think that if you'll have illegal parts, winning won't be all that fulfilling. If that was me, I'd be getting a nagging feeling that I only won/trophied cause I cheated.

If one is gonna bother with disassembling suspension pieces - get better shocks and stay legal. You'd be faster too.
Agreed, between dampers and FSB I think the BRZ actually has the better F/R spring combo than the FR-S anyway... It just needs more rear rebound damping.

Quote:
Locally, you should ask all the drivers in the class you want to run in at every driver's meeting, not the chair, or not only the chair.
Agreed. The chair is going to tell you to run the correct class. They aren't, and shouldn't, tell you to run illegally.
2005-06: #192 ES 91 MR2 N/A Hardtop
2007-08: #54 STX 05 WRX Sedan
2009-12: #92 BSP/ASP 07 Solstice GXP
2013-14 : #192 CS 13 Subaru BRZ
Sccabrz192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #1672
Sevs753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccabrz192 View Post
Agreed, between dampers and FSB I think the BRZ actually has the better F/R spring combo than the FR-S anyway... It just needs more rear rebound damping.
Sounds good. Can you explain the rear rebound damping to me? I'm unfamiliar with that term. Is there anything I can do about it and remain in RTR for AutoX (C Street now)

Also, The final rule changes for the SCCA Street class have been released. The BRZ/FRS is now in C Street. The rules are at the link below. Go to Page 8 (Item 37)

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...strack-nov.pdf
Old 10-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #1673
dsgerbc

Quote:
Sounds good. Can you explain the rear rebound damping to me? I'm unfamiliar with that term. Is there anything I can do about it and remain in RTR for AutoX (C Street now)
I gather (per his post ) that he wants to slow down unloading of the rear suspension (relative to the front) in quick transitions, so that effectively during that slalom the rear of the car on average sits lower and has more grip to apply power earlier.

Theoretically, any shock with more rear rebound damping than stock would do. But you'd have to have them dyno'd to be able to set them up like that.

TBH, one has to be pretty proficient in autox/car control to be able to feel the difference and use it. I would not recommend bothering with this until you have several seasons behind you. Just get good shocks. It's still worth to have those dynoed though, just to use whatever adjustments there are to set them as equal to each other as possible.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #1674
Sevs753

Saw a galaxy blue BRZ with a 'limited' spoiler in the port Atwater garage at the ren cen. The strange part was that it had a Michigan manufacturers plate. Subaru always uses New Jersey manufacturer plates since that's where their North American headquarters is. I wonder if GM is doing something with it.

edit: @dsgerbc Thanks for the explanation. I'm probably going to go with better wheels + tires, better brake pads and decide on the future mods after an event or two on that setup. So far, I only have 4 AutoX events under my belt. The best thing for me really, even more than tires, is seat time. That's going to be my priority next year.

Last edited by Sevs753; 10-22-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #1675
Noire
Bee Enchanter

Drives: LR ZCA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Saw a galaxy blue BRZ with a 'limited' spoiler in the port Atwater garage at the ren cen. The strange part was that it had a Michigan manufacturers plate. Subaru always uses New Jersey manufacturer plates since that's where their North American headquarters is. I wonder if GM is doing something with it.
I'm sure each of the Big Three has at least one example of the FT86 twins...
Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #1676
CallmeDave

Drives: 13 BRZ, 07 WRX
When I was at the proving grounds they had a much of other manufactures cars, I asked about it and they said it was to measure the competition.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #1677
CallmeDave

Also Im still looking for stock takeoff wheels and tires.
Or aftermarket if someone wants something new
Old 10-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #1678
dsgerbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeDave View Post
Also Im still looking for stock takeoff wheels and tires.
Or aftermarket if someone wants something new
Want my BBS REs?
I'm probably gonna try to sell them as a set for a few more months, after that I'm keeping the wheels and only selling PSS tires.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #1679
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
For you autoX guys I have a set of factory crash bolts I never used still in the bags from the dealer for free. Let me know if you want them.

Sent from my Q10
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Accurate Race Shop For This Useful Post:
racecaresuaceb (11-02-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #1680
CallmeDave

Quote:
Want my BBS REs?
I'm probably gonna try to sell them as a set for a few more months, after that I'm keeping the wheels and only selling PSS tires.
You know I do, but I cant touch that price. (Not saying the price isnt worth it to somebody)