follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #43
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^Not the best of pics. This seems to be a pass-side plug. So, per wiring diagram, one should route the power to the terminal #2, white wire. Which is one the back row of the pic, second from the bottom. Red wire with a brown insulator right on the 'knob' of the plug is terminal #5, #1 is right behind it, and #2 is one up. On the other side the wire colors are different and you'd have to splice into a red wire, still on terminal #2 though.
Personally, I'd just route a wire from some ignition switched source directly (or rather via a relay just to be safe) to the halos and not mess with soldering. Just disconnect the OEM wire off the headlight harness and plug your ignition-sourced one.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #44
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Go to Nav Settings, change dimmer to Time and then set it as your sunrise and sunset.

Turn the knob up to the parking lights mode and there you go, your Boomerangs are on during the day and your Nav is still bright.

Isn't that basically what you're trying to achieve?
ericmpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #45
ericmpena

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
This switches Nav/stereo to NIGHT mode. Would be nice to have those lights always on
Change your Nav settings to "Time" instead of "Headlight". Then set the time to your sunrise/sunset. Problem solved.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #46
dsgerbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
Change your Nav settings to "Time" instead of "Headlight". Then set the time to your sunrise/sunset. Problem solved.
You know that sunrise/sunset time changes over the year, right? You'd be adjusting it constantly. And you'd have to turn your headlights on manually when it's dark during the day due to weather.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #47
ericmpena

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
You know that sunrise/sunset time changes over the year, right? You'd be adjusting it constantly. And you'd have to turn your headlights on manually when it's dark during the day due to weather.

Constantly!? I've had the car 2 months and the sunset has changed by 30 minutes. Takes less than 1 minute to adjust it. I'd rather spend 6 minutes a year adjusting the sunrise/sunset than take apart my car and rewire everything. You'll spend more time trying this DIY than it would take to just manually adjust it.

And, I'd rather have full control over what my headlights and DRLs are doing rather than have no control over them at all and have them be on constantly. Plus, what's the point in having the boomerangs on during the day when you can't even tell that they're turned on until is late afternoon anyways.

This DIY is a step in the wrong direction. You're basically using a ton of your time so that you can lose full control of your lights.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericmpena For This Useful Post:
sftateofmind (05-05-2015)
Old 08-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #48
dsgerbc

Quote:
Plus, what's the point in having the boomerangs on during the day when you can't even tell that they're turned on until is late afternoon anyways.
You're in the wrong thread then, leave now.
The Following User Says Thank You to dsgerbc For This Useful Post:
feedbag (08-16-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #49
ericmpena

Garage
Quote:
You're in the wrong thread then, leave now.
Right, well good luck with your DIY. Hope it works out for you.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #50
FnFast
Doctor

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Maybe the Nav going into night mode doesn't bother me much cus my car has tinted windows and it's always night time

Sun never sets on a bad ass.

Jeremy Clarkson "If you go though the Pearly Gates, backwards, in a fireball, that's a cool way to die!"
2013 White Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT - 15% Tint, Debadged, HIDPowerhouse LED Interiors and Dome
FnFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #51
EvilBeaverFace
Not trying to be a ****

Drives: BRZ - 6MT - GBS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Right, well good luck with your DIY. Hope it works out for you.
What bothers me more is that my dash lights up as well. I like the white/red tac vs the all red tac when my lights are on.

Its just personal preference man, I think I learned that people are going to do what they want regardless of what I say a while ago.
EvilBeaverFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #52
ericmpena

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBeaverFace View Post
What bothers me more is that my dash lights up as well. I like the white/red tac vs the all red tac when my lights are on.

Its just personal preference man, I think I learned that people are going to do what they want regardless of what I say a while ago.
Agree, the dash being lit up does bug me. The first few weeks I'd drive around with my boomerangs on just cause I thought it looked cool. After a while of seeing my reflection in the back of other cars I quickly realized that you can't even tell if they're turned on or not. Makes 0 difference during the day. I figured I didn't want to chance burning the lights out by running them all the time so I stopped doing that.

You're right, people are going to do what they want. This thread isn't about wether you should or shouldn't do the mod, it's just about how to do it if you wanted to. I shouldn't have posted my opinion as I know now that this isn't an opinion discussion, it's a How To/DIY.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #53
EvilBeaverFace
Not trying to be a ****

Garage
@Respect BRZ and @dsgerbc did you guys ever figure anything out? I saw this thread a long time ago before it was even 1 page long and nothing was in here but since I checked again today it seems like you two have come a bit farther.

I really would like to be able to do this on my car.

Quote:
Personally, I'd just route a wire from some ignition switched source directly (or rather via a relay just to be safe) to the halos and not mess with soldering. Just disconnect the OEM wire off the headlight harness and plug your ignition-sourced one.
I like this idea but what I don't know is what the closest ignition switched source is to the lights. I guess I could find my multi-meter and start poking around if you guys don't know but I have very limited time at home. I don't mind soldering and I'd be willing to try stuff and post results. If you have suggestions that include parts please provide a link (like the amazon links someone used earlier) - just because when you say "a relay" I'm sure there are a ton of possibilities and I wouldn't know what type.

I know I'm asking a lot here so thanks guys if you can help. The only training I've had as far as electronics is the Air Force Electronics Principles course and that was 6 years ago so if I sound ignorant on the subject I apologize.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #54
dsgerbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBeaverFace View Post
@Respect BRZ and @dsgerbc did you guys ever figure anything out?
What I did is in post #24.
What he did is in post #42.
Now that I looked at it, I think I'll redo mine more like his. If one needs an underhood fuse to tap - IG2 7.5A fuse (just off the pic above on the left) seems like an okay source. I'm gonna try to pull a pin #2 of a headlight harness and see how easy it's gonna be to source a replacement. Shouldn't be too hard.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:59 AM   #55
EvilBeaverFace
Not trying to be a ****

Garage
Quote:
What I did is in post #24.
What he did is in post #42.
Now that I looked at it, I think I'll redo mine more like his. If one needs an underhood fuse to tap - IG2 7.5A fuse (just off the pic above on the left) seems like an okay source. I'm gonna try to pull a pin #2 of a headlight harness and see how easy it's gonna be to source a replacement. Shouldn't be too hard.
Yeah I saw that, I thought by your other post you were going to try finding a source close to the lights to hard wire into.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #56
dsgerbc

Okay, I did it the way @Respect BRZ has it.
I'm not entirely happy, so I might be re-doing it. That's when I'd do a write-up.
A few notes:
1) Currently, I did grab ignition-switched power from a IG2 fuse under the hood (see pic). I'm not entirely happy with that (lots of useful stuff on that fuse), I'm probably gonna re-do it with a relay, still using ig2 source to close the relay, but take power off some empty fuse slot.
2) I have a thing for preserving factory wiring. So I've spent most of my time trying to take pin #2 off factory harness and sourcing a replacement pin that would work in its place. I went to my local autoparts store and grabbed the only thing that looked remotely similar. It ended up being okay. The pin in that replacement harness is a bit narrower than OEM one and the rubber seal is too small, so I had to make sure to wrap something around that pin before plugging it into the OEM harness.

3) Now, taking the #2 pin (red circle) of OEM harness is basically my only useful contribution. The white part of the plug just pops off with a bit of effort. Then one needs to pop up the latch on the pin (blue circle) and push the pin out of the plug. The mechanism is the same as in the parts-store plug, so take the pin off that plug first to practice.
Attached Images