follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-21-2020, 12:08 PM   #29
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Sounds like a simple floaty feeling because you now have massive tires and didn't realize that is going to reduce response and make that happen. Unless you are racing that size is not going to be your friend.

No, his tires are fine and a common size. I ran the exact same setup with no issues for a year. They were great. The car just has no camber on the front atm and may need the air pressure adjusted down a bit based on their load rating.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
why? (02-22-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #30
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
What tires are you running?

Some feel awful to drive on. I had back to back comparison between a 205/55R16 Pirelli and a 225/45R17 Toyo and the toyo's felt terrifying on the highway in corners.
I have General Altimax Arctic tires in a 205/55/R16. They aren't spooky in any regard otherwise, they just wander on accel. Usually after 2 weeks of driving on them, I automatically compensate for it and don't notice. This never happened on my same sized Hankook i*Pike tires though, and I'd never used the Altimax tires until now. Once these wear out ( I've had them for 3 years now, they still look fresh, I wish they'd burn off already) I'll be going back to Hankook tires for the winters. I like the Hankooks best for winter driving over even the Blizzaks or Michelin X-Ice, which I find don't handle slush well at all compared to tires that have more space between tread blocks ( Which is why I tried the Altimax tires).

Edit:: The difference also may be that I've been driving on winter tires in all sorts of cars for a really long time, so I'm never surprised by the sidewall flex when I put them on. Whether it be an NA Miata, a 3000GT, a BMWe36, Several Subarus ( turbo and non turbo), cars that were supposed to be dedicated autocross cars or DD cruisers, I've driven them through entire winters and never really felt like the winter tire was scary; just always had to realize that just as a grippy tire will overwork stock springs/struts, winter tires are overwhelmed by a strong suspension setup and to avoid walking that line, or being prepared for the accompanying oversteer.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #31
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I have General Altimax Arctic tires in a 205/55/R16. They aren't spooky in any regard otherwise, they just wander on accel. Usually after 2 weeks of driving on them, I automatically compensate for it and don't notice. This never happened on my same sized Hankook i*Pike tires though, and I'd never used the Altimax tires until now. Once these wear out ( I've had them for 3 years now, they still look fresh, I wish they'd burn off already) I'll be going back to Hankook tires for the winters. I like the Hankooks best for winter driving over even the Blizzaks or Michelin X-Ice, which I find don't handle slush well at all compared to tires that have more space between tread blocks ( Which is why I tried the Altimax tires).

Edit:: The difference also may be that I've been driving on winter tires in all sorts of cars for a really long time, so I'm never surprised by the sidewall flex when I put them on. Whether it be an NA Miata, a 3000GT, a BMWe36, Several Subarus ( turbo and non turbo), cars that were supposed to be dedicated autocross cars or DD cruisers, I've driven them through entire winters and never really felt like the winter tire was scary; just always had to realize that just as a grippy tire will overwork stock springs/struts, winter tires are overwhelmed by a strong suspension setup and to avoid walking that line, or being prepared for the accompanying oversteer.
That is good to know about the generals. I had a set of altimax on a different car and they performed really well. X-ice on the same car weren't as good for conditions you mentioned.

Deep tread blocks on these cars seem to be important. I've been very impressed with the Pirelli ice zero FRs. When I switched from the stock tires I expected to feel squishy sidewalls but that wasn't the case at all.

They're getting replaced next season and I'm on the fence about another set or Nokian Hakkapeliita R2/R3. I want to keep the car feeling as sporty as possible while staying within a Nordic class tire.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #32
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hakkas will squirm around. Everything is compromise, so one has to choose what to prioritize and what to sacrifice for sake of it. Or usual stuff of 'jack of all trades, master of none'.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #33
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
First of all, I have owned my FRS for several years now (put on 90,000 miles…) and pushed it pretty hard on the street and even at autocross. I have run stock and multiple sets of high performance tires (Hankook evo ll and now continental extreme contact sports) and I can tell you that the behavior you described in no way sounds normal. This car should not be understeering like that, especially with decent tires. If anything, under acceleration it tends to oversteer. I don’t know your driving skill level or how hard you are pushing the car but based on your description and assuming you are not a total moron driver way overdriving the car, I would say that it is not normal. Specifically, the hankook evo lls are known for having a soft sidewalk and even at autocross I never experienced anything like what you are describing.

Here are a couple things I would consider: Is alignment good? Has car been in accident? Is wheel bent or damaged? That one time you hit a curb? Is wheel properly balanced? Is the tire defective (air bubble in sidewall, etc.)? Is your suspension 100% stock? How many miles on car - could a shock be blown and bottoming out? Do you see signs of fluid around your suspension for a blown strut? Are tires decent tread and correct pressure? Are you pushing the car too hard when the tires and pavement are cold?

If all these check out, the only other thing I can think to consider is......traction control. I don't use mine lol so I cant speak from much experience. However, I can tell you that with all the safety systems engaged, the traction control system is very abrupt and intrusive. When it engages, it is like someone attached a god dam ship anchor to the rear of your car and it is very weird feeling with the end result seeming like the car is falling on its face. So I wonder if perhaps this is what is going on. Your are pushing the car hard with all the nannies on and then traction control/stability control engages and the car is trying to correct itself. When what you are describing happens, does the engine also seem to loose power? If so, that is surely a result of the traction control/stability control kicking in which results in a fuel cut and that is likely your cause.

Last edited by mrhayes1; 03-13-2020 at 05:47 PM.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #34
Riftur

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I finally was able to determine what the cause of my issue is. The front right A-arm is either bent or cracked. I have not been able to pull it apart yet to see it though since the pandemic started.
Riftur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riftur For This Useful Post:
JoeC (05-05-2020), strat61caster (05-05-2020)