follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #57
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Many people on here have mentioned it but I just want to stress the importance of this. Please make sure to get insurance quotes!! Don't assume, this one bit me in the butt a bit more than I was expecting.
I was going to sell my car to my 17 year old grandson for it's quoted trade in value. We checked into insurance and NOPE that just isn't going to happen. Instead he get's his dad's 8 year old Mazda 5. Not nearly as cool but it is MT and at about 40% of the insurance costs he can afford it easily.
Dadhawk (01-24-2020), Opie (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 02:13 PM   #58
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyfrs View Post
That's the thing though, I need the camry for the winter, the fr-s would get destroyed if I daily drove it in the winter here.
Smarter than I was at 18 LOL. I don't know your living situation, but if you have winter storage available for the FRS, you're protecting your investment for sure. I live in an area where road salt WILL destroy a car. I've seen people DD these in the winter. Doable yes, with dedicated snow tires/steel rims. Would I do it? It would depend on my build. Dirtfish uses these as rally cars (https://drive.dirtfish.com/the-cars/).

Insurance will be the big killer though. My wife sells insurance and quoted me for a used FRS in Western NY. You're looking at about $750/yr with collision. My Lexus is $722/yr for a reference point. Your situation may not be this "cheap" since your age group gets the shaft.

But.... there are great ways to save on insurance through discounts. I HIGHLY recommend taking this course https://www.myimprov.com/comedy-traffic-school/ to save 10% on your insurance for 3 years!

Welcome to the forum! What are your FRS ambitions?
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #59
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle View Post
Smarter than I was at 18 LOL. I don't know your living situation, but if you have winter storage available for the FRS, you're protecting your investment for sure. I live in an area where road salt WILL destroy a car. I've seen people DD these in the winter. Doable yes, with dedicated snow tires/steel rims. Would I do it? It would depend on my build. Dirtfish uses these as rally cars (https://drive.dirtfish.com/the-cars/).

Insurance will be the big killer though. My wife sells insurance and quoted me for a used FRS in Western NY. You're looking at about $750/yr with collision. My Lexus is $722/yr for a reference point. Your situation may not be this "cheap" since your age group gets the shaft.

But.... there are great ways to save on insurance through discounts. I HIGHLY recommend taking this course https://www.myimprov.com/comedy-traffic-school/ to save 10% on your insurance for 3 years!

It isn't an "investment" it is a depreciating capital expenditure. Even if it was an "investment" a non winter driven car in the North may fetch 5% more in resale at the very best. The cars are well able to withstand the weather and roads and to pay to maintain two cars just to attempt to slightly preserve one would be a horrible return.
Dadhawk (01-24-2020), DarkPira7e (01-24-2020), new2subaru (01-24-2020), ROFL it's Waffle (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #60
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

A car that has been winter driven is just as valuable as a car that hasn't. This isn't a rare car we're speaking about here. For the most part, cars aren't investments. They're money pits...

This is from someone who has their car stored.

If I was the OP I'd only have one car.

EDIT Tcoat wins again! lol
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-24-2020), frostyfrs (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #61
ROFL it's Waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It isn't an "investment" it is a depreciating capital expenditure. Even if it was an "investment" a non winter driven car in the North may fetch 5% more in resale at the very best. The cars are well able to withstand the weather and roads and to pay to maintain two cars just to attempt to slightly preserve one would be a horrible return.
Lol, sorry, I was thinking of the car I'm saving up for http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/forumd...or-Sale-(Gen-1)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ROFL it's Waffle For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-24-2020), frostyfrs (01-24-2020), Tcoat (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #62
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,974 Times in 2,194 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I bought my FR-S with a cashier's czeck from my credit union for the full OTD and no trade in.

"But we need to run a credit check!"
"No you don't."

The ran the check anyway. Think they were flabbergasted by the novel situation.
No checklist item in the three ring "Sell a car" training binder for that situation.

"But! But! We don't know how to handle this!"

Could have walked, but I didn't want to spend more time shuffling between Mgt. and the floor droid.
Got the model I wanted. Plus the "Only one price!" OMG LOL promotion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-24-2020), Tcoat (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 02:51 PM   #63
Tcoat

Quote:
Lol, sorry, I was thinking of the car I'm saving up for http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/forumd...or-Sale-(Gen-1)
Still not an investment unless you plan to park it away and never ever use it as a car.
Dadhawk (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #64
ROFL it's Waffle

What an awesome thread starter. This really got people out of the woodwork (and @Tcoat out of hibernation).
The Following User Says Thank You to ROFL it's Waffle For This Useful Post:
frostyfrs (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #65
ROFL it's Waffle

Quote:
Still not an investment unless you plan to park it away and never ever use it as a car.
Not driving is car abuse.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ROFL it's Waffle For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-24-2020), frostyfrs (01-24-2020), Tcoat (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 03:09 PM   #66
Tcoat

Quote:
Not driving is car abuse.
Here are some investment cars

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133231

Buy cheap.
Fix up.
Sell at profit.
Invest profit in next one.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #67
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,309 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Here are some investment cars

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133231

Buy cheap.
Fix up.
Sell at profit.
Invest profit in next one.
Still working on the profit thing...more a thing I do for fun.
Dadhawk (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 05:49 PM   #68
Feistyfrog

Drives: Toyota 86 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
If you take out a loan for a car what you are really saying is "if I saved $xxx for x years, I can afford this car I really want, instead of this car over here I can afford now" but rather than doing that you have to have it now. That's OK, it's an individual decision to do that. I just suggest you not fool yourself about what you are doing. You are buying something you can't really afford by paying something you can, assuming that there is no risk in doing so.
This is it!! You want it now by financing? It will cost you more. Simple as that.

Here's an example that's been a real eye opener for me....

Three years ago, my wife paid off the loan on her car. It was still like new and perfect for her needs, but she started thinking about getting a toy car for summer. We talked about it and decided it wasn't a good timing, mostly because we just bought a business, on a loan (how ironic). We tried to put aside the same amount of money that she was paying monthly for her car loan and see where it would get us.

Three years later, we manage to save a lot of money and decided it was time to buy her toy car. We will pick up her MX-5 NC next Tuesday, pay cash and enjoy it debt free!!

I'm not moralizing anybody since I also participate in the "system", but when they are ways to go around that, I think the satisfaction of being debt free on something is worth the wait. Paying cash will also open up better deals on many things since you can negociate lower prices... 0% financing doesn't exist.

But it's so hard to wait, especially at a younger age...
Feistyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feistyfrog For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-25-2020), Dadhawk (01-24-2020), Opie (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 08:33 PM   #69
frostyfrs

Drives: Supercharged 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

As of right now, I pay between 1k-1.2k for insurance on my Camry. After seeing what most people said, I might consider just selling it, buying snow tires, and completely prepping the bottom of the car for the winter. Where I live in mass, the salt and sand is absolutely terrible and by doing this, I feel I will be going against everything my dad has suggested me to do.

My plans for this car are to hopefully boost it in a few years, I'm not trying to rush it though, I don't need that much power at my age. My Camry pretty much has just as much torque as this car, but I'm looking for rear wheel drive. There's also some nice local car meets and cruise nights around where I live, So I'm hoping to show it there as well.
frostyfrs is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frostyfrs For This Useful Post:
trvth (01-28-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 09:41 PM   #70
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
different kind of investment. i consider my cars personal investments. i use them to grow my knowledge and skills in whatever oddball modifications suit me at the time.
frostyfrs (01-24-2020)