follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: What should i do with my frs?
find a monogram asap and trade in 5 8.47%
wait a year or two for a new limited release and trade in then 5 8.47%
keep my stock frs and potentially add the things i like 46 77.97%
go to the dark side and trade for a limited/sport-tech brz 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
andrewmay9

Drives: 2014 scion frs asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
frs base question

I'm sure this has come up before as i have lurked these forums for awhile now and read most of the threads, but i wanted to ask people who own monograms/base models. I recently got my 2014 scion frs asphalt base AT (3 weeks ago). Has a little over 500 KMs on it. I love the car but i am a little torn on those little extra creature comforts. When i was buying my car i spent two weeks negotiating with the dealership (very friendly and helpful -- best experience with a dealership!) however i was unable to find a monogram as i liked all the little add-ons so i settled on buying the base model for a decent price (i got them to come down about 2500 from their original asking price). Now i am in that phase where i am starting to second guess my decision (i even started looking at some brz limiteds but the moustache front stopped that pretty quickly) and am wondering if i should try to find a monogram and trade in for it (though ill probably get reamed and have to shell out a pretty penny to get it) or wait for a later release model that has all those perks and then some in a year or so and trade up then; or lastly stick with my car, which is still an awesome car, and either leave it stock or add the things i like (if you think i should do this let me know how much it would cost roughly to add these things) such as a lip spoiler, HID lights, dual climate control, navigation etc.

again I'm sorry because i know that these threads have been opened before but i wanted people who have owned each model for a time to weigh in and give me their opinions!

thanks in advance!
andrewmay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
FRSHunter

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Depends on how bad you want those features. If the monogram was available for purcahse at the time I bought my current FRS, I would have bought the monogram. Do I regret buying my current FRS? No, not really.
FRSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
The only reason why I bought a 10 series over a standard FRS were those creature features.

I knew I had to have them because I'm going to feel buyers remorse if I didn't.

If the monogram had came out in December of 2013, I would had bought that instead.

If you ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE those features, find a monogram.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
andrewmay9

thats how i feel. I love the idea of having those creature comforts! So i am a little torn at the moment
Old 05-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
FlamingRectumSyndrome
Shriveled Old Member

Drives: 14 Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Keep an eye out for a wrecked car with the features you want. From what I've seen everything is essentially modular and fairly easily installed. But I'd hold off on the factory navigation system; it's supposed to be a nightmare...
FlamingRectumSyndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
AVodka14

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Feel the same. I bought my FRS in June 2012. If I had known the monogram was coming out. I would have waited. I get a Toyota discount and that would have been nice. It's up to you.
AVodka14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
andrewmay9

navigation is the lowest end of my want list to be honest as i have my iPhone for that. I really like the lip spoiler (i could find one on ebay and install myself) and the HID lights. On the inside I'm indifferent about the leather seats to the cloth seats however the dual climate control and push start is pretty intriguing to me as the knobs on the HVAC remind me of my 05 mazda 3 that I'm coming from and considering that its a 9 year difference its a little bit of a let down.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
AVodka14

The Monogram also has heated mirrors and seats. Plus vanity mirror lights. I am with you in regard to HIDs, push button start, and Dual climate. Trust me. I am considering a trade in as well. It is too expensive to try and add these goodies to a base model.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
How the heck did you get almost 10% off a new FR-S? That's lower than the dealer invoice meaning there was absolutely no $ whatsoever in it for the dealer. Maybe not evan the lot allowance for carrying costs.

I am in sales and sadly I do deals like this with clients sometimes and I hope I never am that much of a liability to companies I buy from.

Funny that quite often I take deposits in the thousands from people where I don't make a dime and these people never end up taking delivery of my product because the end up not being able to pay their balance when its time to take delivery. It doesn't matter what I sell but the point is that karma is a bummer.

Good luck whatever you do. Spend as much of the salespersons time as you can again just to prove that people that never pay are always the biggest pain to deal with. I don't believe in ripping off buyers OR sellers.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #10
Hot Lava
The Antiriced

Drives: women wild
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So all you want is a lip spoiler and hid's. Much cheaper to aftermarket it and you'll end up with superior features.
Hot Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
Those marketing guys sure know what they're doing... That whole base model, 10-series, monogram, release series and what-ever-comes-next; that scheme wouldn't work as well in Europe. So they're not doing it here.
You my friends are being seriously played. I'm sorry.
And I'm not being smug or anything, just slightly impressed with how Toyota tailors their marketing strategies for optimizing sales figures in each country.
Sarlacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #12
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
Those marketing guys sure know what they're doing... That whole base model, 10-series, monogram, release series and what-ever-comes-next; that scheme wouldn't work as well in Europe. So they're not doing it here.
You my friends are being seriously played. I'm sorry.
And I'm not being smug or anything, just slightly impressed with how Toyota tailors their marketing strategies for optimizing sales figures in each country.
With countries that have 100% registration tax I am sure people would be pissed if better stuff was marketed every 6 months.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #13
Michael
Lovin' the Low Life

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Just add the aftermarket accessories instead. If you truly wanted the monogram, you would have waited longer for one to become available.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #14
AVodka14

I like what @Michael said. That is the truth. As much as I want to trade in. It makes no sense financially. That is where I always back out on the trade in idea.