follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #15
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBlue86 View Post
Everything is stock and pressure is good. I even set them to the recomemened pressure that are printed on the inside of the wrx door. Pictures are coming here soon.
What pressures are they actually at? Give us a number.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #16
BobbyBlue86

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I just checked them and they are 35 psi on my pressure gauge which I'm not sure how accurate it is...

Edit: they were filled by discount to front33/rear32

Last edited by BobbyBlue86; 03-06-2015 at 07:11 PM.
BobbyBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #17
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My WRX wore both the fronts and back through a set of tires down to the belts (!!!). The guy at the alignment shop said they have poor specs from the factory.

What size tire is it? If you went with a larger tire, it could be throwing your alignment off.

Its very possible the wrx wore the tires on the inside but not as bad as you see, then you finished them off. Either way I know it sucks. My WRX ate my S-Drives in 5k miles (no warranty). Now I'm keeping a close watch on the inside tread of my new tires.

Btw, I bought a set of used wheels with tires - the tires were worn evenly but still had ok tread left. While cornering at low speed my traction control light would come on. Those things were slick! Thought I could drive them for a year but had to pony up for new tires.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #18
BobbyBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
My WRX wore both the fronts and back through a set of tires down to the belts (!!!). The guy at the alignment shop said they have poor specs from the factory.

What size tire is it? If you went with a larger tire, it could be throwing your alignment off.

Its very possible the wrx wore the tires on the inside but not as bad as you see, then you finished them off. Either way I know it sucks. My WRX ate my S-Drives in 5k miles (no warranty). Now I'm keeping a close watch on the inside tread of my new tires.

Btw, I bought a set of used wheels with tires - the tires were worn evenly but still had ok tread left. While cornering at low speed my traction control light would come on. Those things were slick! Thought I could drive them for a year but had to pony up for new tires.
Its the stock dunlops that come on the WRX. 235/45R17

So same size height, just an inch wider... hence why It doesnt make sense.

You'd think that it would have shown this type of wear while I was on the stock tire, but it looked completely normal!
Old 03-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #19
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Its the stock dunlops that come on the WRX. 235/45R17

So same size height, just an inch wider... hence why It doesnt make sense.

You'd think that it would have shown this type of wear while I was on the stock tire, but it looked completely normal!
Those will actually be slightly taller. Tires are weird, the width is the first number, but the 45 is the section height, so 45% of 235 is taller than 45% of 225. It's about 1% taller, not enough to make any noticeable difference, but it is different. So a really wide 285/45 would actually have a pretty tall sidewall. you'd need a 285/35 to be almost the exact the same outer diameter as a 225/45.

And 225 to 235 is 10mm increase, So they're a little less than half an inch wider. The actual physical dimensions can be slightly different, and rim width can slightly affect actual contact patch width.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #20
Kostamojen

Are you 100% sure the tires didn't have excessive wear from the previous owner???
The Following User Says Thank You to Kostamojen For This Useful Post:
wparsons (03-09-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #21
Sweet48

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The tires don't appear to be directional, 99% sure they are inside/outside mount. And since OP said wear is on inside, seems to be accurate from that view.

Shot in the dark here, I really doubt its this, is if your struts are worn they can cause premature wear as well. easiest way to tell is if the worn shoulder has a "wavy" wearing pattern. This is called scalloping. I really doubt its the issue but hey, more knowledge the better right?

Your alignment specs seem pretty good to me so i doubt its that, are you running spacers at all? Was your friend running spacers, lowered, anything? Sometimes early wear is hard to catch when buying even slightly used tires.
Sweet48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #22
BobbyBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet48 View Post
The tires don't appear to be directional, 99% sure they are inside/outside mount. And since OP said wear is on inside, seems to be accurate from that view.

Shot in the dark here, I really doubt its this, is if your struts are worn they can cause premature wear as well. easiest way to tell is if the worn shoulder has a "wavy" wearing pattern. This is called scalloping. I really doubt its the issue but hey, more knowledge the better right?

Your alignment specs seem pretty good to me so i doubt its that, are you running spacers at all? Was your friend running spacers, lowered, anything? Sometimes early wear is hard to catch when buying even slightly used tires.
No suspension work or spacers on either car... I went down and replaced those tires and put the rear tires up front. After a few days of driving on them, ill have to check them. They are both even in tread wear, just like the front ones USED to be. I don't want to put new tires on the front until i figure out whats going on.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #23
BobbyBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Are you 100% sure the tires didn't have excessive wear from the previous owner???
yes, 100000000% sure. I am a mechanic by trade and have a good amount of attention to detail.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #24
Kostamojen

Quote:
yes, 100000000% sure. I am a mechanic by trade and have a good amount of attention to detail.
Sorry just trying to cover all the bases here... This is pretty strange, nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Right now my only thought is that because these wheels have a higher offset and more width than normal wheels for this car, something might be going on... Other people with these wheels might be able to chime in.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #25
BobbyBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Sorry just trying to cover all the bases here... This is pretty strange, nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Right now my only thought is that because these wheels have a higher offset and more width than normal wheels for this car, something might be going on... Other people with these wheels might be able to chime in.

No I understand. I had everyone at discount and network alignment completely stumped....
Old 03-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #26
BobbyBlue86

New development!!

So I replaced the worn tires up front and switched them to the back and put the older tires up front. I did that for two reasons. To watch them wear as the miles go and to make sure I dont ruin a good set of tires.

Now this morning on my way to work on the freeway, my car has this resonating and pulsing shutter. Very constant even over the smoothest parts of the freeways.

Now what?!!?
Old 03-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #27
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
Tire size will not affect alignment in any way at all... it might limit the range of alignment settings you can get to without rubbing, but just changing tire size will not change the alignment at all.

To the OP, I would bet that the tires did have more wear on the inside when you got them, but had more depth so it wasn't as noticeable. Now that you've worn them down a bit it's more obvious.

How deep is the tread at the outer shoulder, middle, and inner shoulder? The tires look low across the whole width from the pictures you posted.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #28
Sweet48

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
New development!!

So I replaced the worn tires up front and switched them to the back and put the older tires up front. I did that for two reasons. To watch them wear as the miles go and to make sure I dont ruin a good set of tires.

Now this morning on my way to work on the freeway, my car has this resonating and pulsing shutter. Very constant even over the smoothest parts of the freeways.

Now what?!!?
First thing I check for after new tires or something is installed I check the torque on the wheels, if it doesn't show anything I re-balance them. Quickest and easiest way in my opinion to try to solve a vibration issue as you describe. If it persists then I might go ahead and check for tire run-out or rim bend/s? I'm trying here LOL

Good luck
Sweet48 is offline   Reply With Quote