follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2018, 06:21 PM   #71
pcporo
No Martians here?

Drives: FR-S Asphalt MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
might just need to delete this thread due to the lane splitting disagreement lol
pcporo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:48 PM   #72
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,827 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkharmony View Post
Memo to self:

Casually bring up lane-splitting as often as possible.
- don't you dare.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:51 PM   #73
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
1) I'm not a lane splitting zealot, but I do find that the studies don't lie that it is safer
From what I can tell, everything seems to go back to one study from a pro-biking organization that indicated that lane splitting helps prevent bikes from being rear-ended. But there's a trade-off. Nobody in his right mind could argue that it's also safer to be next to a car whose driver decides to change lanes or between vehicles that approach too close together.

California, one of the most heavily studied traffic locations in the country, steadfastly refuses to track lane splitting accidents as part of its regular traffic data because they consider emissions reductions to be a higher priority than life and property, and they are deathly afraid that state-collected statistics could be used to debunk the safety claims and jeopardize the law. Individual bikers don't want the stats because they want to be able to zoom past stopped traffic, regardless of whether it endangers anybody else.

So as far as I can tell it's really not possible to determine whether it's really safer overall, at least not yet. The studies only address half the issue but are dishonestly used as if they support it in total.

Whenever these objections are brought up among lane splitting zealots, the inevitable response is that the responsibility should be on drivers to be looking out for bikes. In normal driving, I agree. I don't ride, but my dad did, and I grew up around bikes and learned from my first day behind the wheel to respect them on the road.

Yet lane splitting puts those bikes in places where they are difficult to see, coming from unexpected directions, in cramped locations where the infrastructure--the lanes--are not designed to accommodate them. Bikers seem to believe they deserve to get home faster than everyone else, so everyone else has a moral responsibility to make way and create lanes where they don't exist. That's a religious attitude of privilege I find impossible to respect, when bikers don't want to have to extend the same respect to cars.

The moral issue then leads to a legal issue. Whose fault is it when the driver doesn't see the bike coming? The bikers want it to be the driver's fault, despite it being unnatural for the driver to anticipate this kind of behavior from another vehicle.

California's idiotic solution was a ridiculous confusion of speed limits and speed differentials. If you're going 10 miles faster than the car, it's the car's fault. If you're going 20 miles faster than the car, it's the bike's fault. If you're going 15 miles faster than the car, but the car is going 40 miles per hour, it's the bike's fault because the bike is going faster than 50. You can only do it when traffic is moving less than 35 MPH.

Okay, great. Except that humans are actually extremely bad at judging speed by eye even with training. The driver is going to say the bike came out of nowhere 30 MPH faster, while the biker is going to say he was only going 5 MPH faster. No civilian driver has any kind of speedometer on his dash to tell how fast a bike just passed him. Nor does a biker have anything to measure exactly how fast traffic is moving unless he's matching their speed. So it's basically up to the cop to determine whose bullshit he believes, and that's rarely going to come out fair with respect to what actually happened.

Furthermore, California complicates it even further because it's a comparative negligence state. So even if the biker was driving like a moron, chances are good that the driver walks away shouldering some of the expense for the biker's mistake.

Maybe this risk of (unfair) legal liability will make drivers extra careful. Maybe they'll slow way down and become very conservative in their maneuvers. Then traffic slows down, traffic jams become worse and all those idling engines put even more hydrocarbons into LA's sky. Environmentalist fail.

Quote:
2) I only brought it up because you can tell by your typing your triggered for some reason
As an atheist agnostic with comparatively liberal views who grew up in a small community ruled by an invasive and oppressive Southern Baptist church, I react violently to cultish political and religious movements, especially when their outreach is based in large part on dishonesty. The Cult of Lane Splitting reared its ugly head when I worked in TV news in DC and again when I lived in Texas, joining the ranks of PETA members and gluten zealots spouting pseudo-scientific claims and dishonest interpretations of science in support of dishonestly stated motives. Luckily they've been slapped down so far. If you just keep your bike in your lane and don't expect other people to shoulder the burden of your unsafe behavior, there's no problem.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #74
humfrz

Quote:
Forget to take your meds this morning? Calm down a bit bud

Calm down, you're normally not this pissy
DANG, I think he WAS calmed down - now, you are going to get em all shaky again -

humfrz

Edit: NOW, I see you went and done it -
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (08-30-2018), FRSBRZGT86FAN (08-30-2018), qcbaker (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 07:47 PM   #75
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
From what I can tell, everything seems to go back to one study from a pro-biking organization that indicated that lane splitting helps prevent bikes from being rear-ended. But there's a trade-off. Nobody in his right mind could argue that it's also safer to be next to a car whose driver decides to change lanes or between vehicles that approach too close together.

I'm not trying to get into an argument with you about lane splitting, but the study I posted was conducted by UC Berkeley and is not the older one conducted by the AMA in 2014. It's an unbiased study published by a university, not done by the AMA.

If you don't like lane splitting, that's fine. Like I said, I'm not trying to argue about it. But if you're gonna argue about it, you might as well actually read the article.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 08:02 PM   #76
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcporo View Post
might just need to delete this thread due to the lane splitting disagreement lol
Nah all is good. Nobody has used the term snowflake yet.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:05 PM   #77
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post

California, one of the most heavily studied traffic locations in the country, steadfastly refuses to track lane splitting accidents as part of its regular traffic data because they consider emissions reductions to be a higher priority than life and property, and they are deathly afraid that state-collected statistics could be used to debunk the safety claims and jeopardize the law. Individual bikers don't want the stats because they want to be able to zoom past stopped traffic, regardless of whether it endangers anybody else.

So as far as I can tell it's really not possible to determine whether it's really safer overall, at least not yet. The studies only address half the issue but are dishonestly used as if they support it in total.

Whenever these objections are brought up among lane splitting zealots, the inevitable response is that the responsibility should be on drivers to be looking out for bikes. In normal driving, I agree. I don't ride, but my dad did, and I grew up around bikes and learned from my first day behind the wheel to respect them on the road.

Yet lane splitting puts those bikes in places where they are difficult to see, coming from unexpected directions, in cramped locations where the infrastructure--the lanes--are not designed to accommodate them. Bikers seem to believe they deserve to get home faster than everyone else, so everyone else has a moral responsibility to make way and create lanes where they don't exist. That's a religious attitude of privilege I find impossible to respect, when bikers don't want to have to extend the same respect to cars.

The moral issue then leads to a legal issue. Whose fault is it when the driver doesn't see the bike coming? The bikers want it to be the driver's fault, despite it being unnatural for the driver to anticipate this kind of behavior from another vehicle.

California's idiotic solution was a ridiculous confusion of speed limits and speed differentials. If you're going 10 miles faster than the car, it's the car's fault. If you're going 20 miles faster than the car, it's the bike's fault. If you're going 15 miles faster than the car, but the car is going 40 miles per hour, it's the bike's fault because the bike is going faster than 50. You can only do it when traffic is moving less than 35 MPH.

Okay, great. Except that humans are actually extremely bad at judging speed by eye even with training. The driver is going to say the bike came out of nowhere 30 MPH faster, while the biker is going to say he was only going 5 MPH faster. No civilian driver has any kind of speedometer on his dash to tell how fast a bike just passed him. Nor does a biker have anything to measure exactly how fast traffic is moving unless he's matching their speed. So it's basically up to the cop to determine whose bullshit he believes, and that's rarely going to come out fair with respect to what actually happened.

Furthermore, California complicates it even further because it's a comparative negligence state. So even if the biker was driving like a moron, chances are good that the driver walks away shouldering some of the expense for the biker's mistake.

Maybe this risk of (unfair) legal liability will make drivers extra careful. Maybe they'll slow way down and become very conservative in their maneuvers. Then traffic slows down, traffic jams become worse and all those idling engines put even more hydrocarbons into LA's sky. Environmentalist fail.

As an atheist agnostic with comparatively liberal views who grew up in a small community ruled by an invasive and oppressive Southern Baptist church, I react violently to cultish political and religious movements, especially when their outreach is based in large part on dishonesty. The Cult of Lane Splitting reared its ugly head when I worked in TV news in DC and again when I lived in Texas, joining the ranks of PETA members and gluten zealots spouting pseudo-scientific claims and dishonest interpretations of science in support of dishonestly stated motives. Luckily they've been slapped down so far. If you just keep your bike in your lane and don't expect other people to shoulder the burden of your unsafe behavior, there's no problem.

I think we found the snowflake today.......
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:06 PM   #78
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcporo View Post
It's fine, I'd hope the mods just clean it out a bit and redact all the lane splitting stuff. Because I wanna see the updates
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:08 PM   #79
Tcoat

Quote:
I think we found the snowflake today.......
I can't cast my vote there. I agree with much (not all) of what he said. Not really into how he said it though.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:29 PM   #80
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
I don’t got time to read all the pages, so I’ll let member clean themselves from here on. Which means, after this post whoever stop me from working on my basement remodeling this weekend will feel my headache.

So keep it calm... at least til Tuesday next wk.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #81
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Tcoat used the "S" word -

humfrz
Old 08-30-2018, 09:37 PM   #82
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
I don’t got time to read all the pages, so I’ll let member clean themselves from here on. Which means, after this post whoever stop me from working on my basement remodeling this weekend will feel my headache.

So keep it calm... at least til Tuesday next wk.
WILCO

What did you decide on wall covering?

Flooring?

humfrz
Old 08-30-2018, 09:37 PM   #83
Tcoat

Quote: