follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #141
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
And the original Vipers had what were originally re-worked truck engines.
Old Vipers were POS. I remember breaking the door handle of one on the showroom floor.. wtf.

I respect those cars but I would never own an early one.

Agreed on the engine too
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #142
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
What happens when you add two cylinders to a V8 truck engine? You get a supercar!

Not. They tried. The new one is much closer.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #143
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Regarding the Benz.. no manual trans.. no care.
Having been in a C63... and also an F430 16M Scuderia a few years ago and recently a 458 Spider... there are some cars without manual transmissions that I still care about, even if I can't afford them
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #144
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyong View Post
Have you been reading what's been posted on here or did you just jump in haphazardly? Just because something's closer in potential to being a super car doesn't mean it's a super car. There's no lesser version of a super car. For example, Ferrari doesn't make a neutered down version of their 458 Italia.
There are certainly plenty of credible people in the industry who would disagree with you.

Corvette ZR-1:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-vide...claren-mp4-12c

Porsche 911 Turbo S:

http://www.boston.com/cars/newsandre...sense_911.html

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/24..._supercar.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
On that note... what's your opinion of the C63 AMG Black Series? That car is pretty bad ass. It's not quite based on an "econobox," but its roots are associated with the run-of-the-mill C-Class that definitely doesn't exactly scream "performance," yet nobody seems to crucify it the way people dismiss Evos, STIs and even the R32/Golf R just because of how far down the totem pole their base model is. Did you guys also brush aside the Integra Type-R too just because the base GS/RS was a two-door econobox?
When I owned my STI, I thought it was a fun car, but I wouldn't deny it was an econobox fitted with a turbo and expensive AWD drivetrain. Nothing wrong with that, but definitely not a supercar. Same with the C63 AMG black and ITR.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #145
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
people keep talking about how many cars are just econoboxes with afterthoughts slapped on and that is why these cars arent sports cars. first, i would like to ask what, in a strictly fundamental sense, makes a good eco car but not a sports car? second, what makes you think that companies arent thinking about the sports versions of the cars at all during development? its not like after 9 evos, mitsu made the current lancer without considering that maybe they would make an evo x
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #146
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

First let's define sports car: rear drive two-seater (possibly without roof). That is the STRICT definition of a sports car; everything else is a sporty car. From there we can discuss if it needs to have a V8, a L4, turbo 4 of some kind, etc. etc. The 911 for instance is a sporty GT car. The Supra? Sporty GT bruiser. S2000? Sports car. Miata? Sports car.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #147
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
First let's define sports car: rear drive two-seater (possibly without roof). That is the STRICT definition of a sports car; everything else is a sporty car. From there we can discuss if it needs to have a V8, a L4, turbo 4 of some kind, etc. etc. The 911 for instance is a sporty GT car. The Supra? Sporty GT bruiser. S2000? Sports car. Miata? Sports car.
i get the classic definition of a sports car and i hope this doesnt become a thread about arguing that definition. if people are willing to say that the frs isnt a sports car, i can understand not thinking an evo is a sportscar. those arent the people i get confused and frustrated by.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #148
shyong

Drives: 2002 S2000 2013 Carrera S 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
There are certainly plenty of credible people in the industry who would disagree with you.

Corvette ZR-1:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-vide...claren-mp4-12c

Porsche 911 Turbo S:

http://www.boston.com/cars/newsandre...sense_911.html

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/24..._supercar.html

Why don't you quote me where I say my opinion? Here...let me help you out since you've got selective reading.

"My 991S has somewhat expensive materials used in it's construction and the $100K+ price tag reflects upon that. But I wouldn't consider it a super car. Nor would I consider the Turbo version of the 911 a super car. But that's based on my definition of what a super car is. They don't qualify. I think of things like high price tag, top of the line performance, exclusivity, rarity, etc as the criteria for meeting the super car definition."

By the way, those links you posted up...what do you think they are? Opinions. Everyone has one...even you.

Last edited by shyong; 02-07-2013 at 08:02 AM.
shyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #149
shyong

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
The definition's evolved over the years. It doesn't just apply to strictly 2-seaters anymore. To get technical, here's Merriam-Webster's definition:

a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving

First Known Use of SPORTS CAR

We've come a long way since 1928. Don't know how you interpret the word 'usually' but doesn't mean always. The word sports car doesn't adhere strictly to what you may think a sports car may be.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #150
EvoXDD
Trident Motorsports Owner

Drives: DGM. DD for my EvoX
Garage
This is getting out of control. And there are SEVERAL magazines, critics, proffessional driver and so on that have said straight up that the evo is considered a supercar, just at the bottom of food chain
Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #151
shyong

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoXDD View Post
This is getting out of control. And there are SEVERAL magazines, critics, proffessional driver and so on that have said straight up that the evo is considered a supercar, just at the bottom of food chain
Not in stock trim. Are you talking about the UK FQ models? Because bone stock it's far from a super car. It has the ability to run super car like performance numbers modded up but let's not kid ourselves. It's not a super car.
The Following User Says Thank You to shyong For This Useful Post:
OrbitalEllipses (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #152
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Why don't you quote me where I say my opinion? Here...let me help you out since you've got selective reading.

"My 991S has somewhat expensive materials used in it's construction and the $100K+ price tag reflects upon that. But I wouldn't consider it a super car. Nor would I consider the Turbo version of the 911 a super car. But that's based on my definition of what a super car is. They don't qualify. I think of things like high price tag, top of the line performance, exclusivity, rarity, etc as the criteria for meeting the super car definition."

By the way, those links you posted up...what do you think they are? Opinions. Everyone has one...even you.
Great, glad you admit that's just your opinion, because that's all that really is. Now see how silly it is trying to argue your opinion is superior to others?

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #153
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Quote:
Not in stock trim. Are you talking about the UK FQ models? Because bone stock it's far from a super car. It has the ability to run super car like performance numbers modded up but let's not kid ourselves. It's not a super car.
We're seeing eye to eye now.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #154
shyong

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Great, glad you admit that's just your opinion, because that's all that really is. Now see how silly it is trying to argue your opinion is superior to others?
Huh? You've got issues. At least contribute to the conversation by reading up on the actual debate. It's plenty disrespectful just selectively pulling out and nit-picking what you want to see. You've contributed absolutely nothing to this conversation.

When did I ever insinuate my opinion was the be all and end all? Please, please...quote me on it. And use full context because you've already done a miserable job trying to slander me.

All you did was post up a few articles from different automotive journalists who put up their opinion piece under the guise of an article. Which you tried to use as FACT! ROFL. Come on now. You can do way better than that.

If you respond to me again with nothing constructive to say you'll just go on ignore. Thanks for playing.

Last edited by shyong; 02-07-2013 at 12:55 PM.