follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #15
Scoobybrz

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Like mentioned above, going with OEM plus will save you the hassle,installation time, and maybe a few bucks. Going custom audio gives you more flexibility with tuning.
If I didn't already have extra equipment lying around, I'd definitely go with the OEM route.
Scoobybrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #16
DrewM

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by football751 View Post
Do you have the OAP system? I noticed this is your first post...not saying that's bad, as we all had to start at 1, just wondering what your experience is?
No (I've only owned the car about a week), but I've built a few systems with DSP setups (a couple with MiniDSP's and a couple with some of the cheaper name-brand setups) and a well tuned DSP will turn a system with even low end/budget priced gear into a very, VERY nice sounding system. You have about as close to total control as you can get over what comes out of each specific driver, a huge amount of EQ, time alignment, x-over points and slope. You can tune each driver for the specifics of that driver and the environment it sits in, which considering a car is a total crap-fest of a place to build an audio system is a definite plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylethomas23
Does anyone know of OAP's sub actually bumps though? My last systems consisted of JL W3's and a W7. I am all about quality, but I do LOVE my bass..
You didn't say what size drivers (bass reproduction is all about moving air, the more air you move the louder it gets), but no, it probably isn't going to be comparable to the JL setup you had. You can only do so much with an 8" driver, it may have some punch to it, but it's not going to do it at crazy volumes. That said a single 8" is plenty for making good sound in a small car.

There...2 posts...I'm twice as smart as before
DrewM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrewM For This Useful Post:
kylethomas23 (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #17
kylethomas23

Drives: 2014 brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM View Post
No (I've only owned the car about a week), but I've built a few systems with DSP setups (a couple with MiniDSP's and a couple with some of the cheaper name-brand setups) and a well tuned DSP will turn a system with even low end/budget priced gear into a very, VERY nice sounding system. You have about as close to total control as you can get over what comes out of each specific driver, a huge amount of EQ, time alignment, x-over points and slope. You can tune each driver for the specifics of that driver and the environment it sits in, which considering a car is a total crap-fest of a place to build an audio system is a definite plus.

You didn't say what size drivers (bass reproduction is all about moving air, the more air you move the louder it gets), but no, it probably isn't going to be comparable to the JL setup you had. You can only do so much with an 8" driver, it may have some punch to it, but it's not going to do it at crazy volumes. That said a single 8" is plenty for making good sound in a small car.

There...2 posts...I'm twice as smart as before
Lol I appreciate your input. Do you happen to know if the 8" sub from OAP is replaceable?
kylethomas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #18
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you're going to replace it may as well go custom after market from the get go

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylethomas23 View Post
Lol I appreciate your input. Do you happen to know if the 8" sub from OAP is replaceable?
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #19
football751

Drives: n/a
Just ordered the OAP Reference system for my BRZ today! I'll update y'all once I have a chance to put it through it's paces. For me $1500 was my budget and I feel doing a custom build better than the OAP system would put me well above $1500.
football751 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to football751 For This Useful Post:
kylethomas23 (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #20
kylethomas23

Quote:
Just ordered the OAP Reference system for my BRZ today! I'll update y'all once I have a chance to put it through it's paces. For me $1500 was my budget and I feel doing a custom build better than the OAP system would put me well above $1500.
Nice! What amp did you go with?
Old 11-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #21
football751

Quote:
Nice! What amp did you go with?
OEM Audio+ doesn't give you any amp choices. If you're wondering about the bass, I went with "Full". From my understanding it's the same amp and sub, just tuned differently. Talking with Daniel at OAP "Full" helps drown out road noise and exhaust and seems to be a good middle option. I got the impression "Balanced" would be too weak for my taste and "Robust" would be too much, considering I listen to Country and Classic Rock.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #22
kylethomas23

Quote:
OEM Audio+ doesn't give you any amp choices. If you're wondering about the bass, I went with "Full". From my understanding it's the same amp and sub, just tuned differently. Talking with Daniel at OAP "Full" helps drown out road noise and exhaust and seems to be a good middle option. I got the impression "Balanced" would be too weak for my taste and "Robust" would be too much, considering I listen to Country and Classic Rock.
Lol yea I meant the bass option. I NEED to find someone in upstate NY with OAP so I can hear first hand
Old 11-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #23
football751

I haven't heard it firsthand either. I'm sure plenty of people in TX have the system, but it's a big state lol. For me the decision really came down to quality for the money. While you can get components with better specs for $1500, I feel there's a good chance it wouldn't sound as good as OAP. To get components with better specs AND get it to sound better with a DSP and custom tuning was out of my price range. Plus it's my DD and with a 100 mile roundtrip commute for work I don't have the luxury of having it torn apart, either by myself or a shop, for an entire week to do a really thorough custom setup.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #24
kylethomas23

Quote:
I haven't heard it firsthand either. I'm sure plenty of people in TX have the system, but it's a big state lol. For me the decision really came down to quality for the money. While you can get components with better specs for $1500, I feel there's a good chance it wouldn't sound as good as OAP. To get components with better specs AND get it to sound better with a DSP and custom tuning was out of my price range. Plus it's my DD and with a 100 mile roundtrip commute for work I don't have the luxury of having it torn apart, either by myself or a shop, for an entire week to do a really thorough custom setup.
Let me know when its installed. I would love yo know ease of installation and quality!
Old 11-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #25
Haeb

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram Series
I'll just chip in and mention that I just installed the 400+ system in mine last week, and (for me anyway) its impressive. The kid that works next door to me has what looks like rocket boosters for subwoofers in his trunk and his car can be heard 1/4 mile down the road and probably sets off USGS seismographs....the 400+ is not comparable to that system. It is, however, plenty loud and has plenty of bass...seriously...p l e n t y of bass. The reference system no doubt adds more clarity yet, but for me the 400+ is more than adequate, and made a HUGE difference in sound quality. For Halloween I had a little furry spider sitting on my dash - when the bass would hit my little spider would buzz across the dash. I went with the "Full" bass setup btw for those interested.
Haeb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haeb For This Useful Post:
kylethomas23 (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #26
kylethomas23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeb View Post
I'll just chip in and mention that I just installed the 400+ system in mine last week, and (for me anyway) its impressive. The kid that works next door to me has what looks like rocket boosters for subwoofers in his trunk and his car can be heard 1/4 mile down the road and probably sets off USGS seismographs....the 400+ is not comparable to that system. It is, however, plenty loud and has plenty of bass...seriously...p l e n t y of bass. The reference system no doubt adds more clarity yet, but for me the 400+ is more than adequate, and made a HUGE difference in sound quality. For Halloween I had a little furry spider sitting on my dash - when the bass would hit my little spider would buzz across the dash. I went with the "Full" bass setup btw for those interested.
Nice! It seems most people go with the "full". I'd love to know the comparison between that and "robust". Does it take that much clarity away?
Old 11-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #27
football751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeb View Post
Great to hear! However I thought the bass option was exclusive to the Reference system, and the 400+ only offered with a single bass profile?
Old 11-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #28
Haeb

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram Series
Quote:
Let me know when its installed. I would love yo know ease of installation and quality!

Took me a bit over 2 hours to install.... so relatively easy. The videos online are pretty much spot on as to how its done. The color match (painted to mach sub) is spot on and the sub fits perfectly. The supplied harness is exact as well. Everything just plain fit where it was supposed to how it was supposed to. And when we turned it on....viola....just like that....whole new car (audio wise).
Haeb is offline   Reply With Quote