follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
NeedsmoreCowbell
toyotas are practical :)

Drives: Hot Lava FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Danny's FRS :) its like molten hot magma****warning big pictures!****

Hello everyone my name is Danny nice to met you all. I met some of you on friday at Toyota of Dallas at the unveiling event. Currently I am the very happy owner of a beautiful Hot Lava FRS. The smile is still literally on my face I am patiently waiting for the 1K mark before opening her up

Driving Impression:

The feel of this car with the road is heavenly addictive. You almost get the presence of an old 911, Z car, cabin feel with not as much refinement. Seats are perfect for my size and hold me like a comfy baby panda hug. I do have the seat all the way down to the floor because I love that ride feel more. The transmission and balanced chassis deserve some sort of award...Nobel peace prize probably because I found inner peace last night.

Braking leaves something to be desired but I'm pretty sure the after market will soon find me some sort of remedy. No noticeable nose dive under braking is very appreciated and you can tell its probably more to do with the weight of the car. Exhaust note is actually addictive and not bad at all for a new flat 4 as restricted as this engine is from the factory. Handling wise its on rails, the grip even from the 215's is just right at most entry angles. Steering is a little numb at times but livable.

The stock stereo is just fine for this car. Bluetooth works perfect on my I4s. Now the stock speakers need to go, it says 8 speakers but I swear it only feels like 2 are working. the fake carbon fiber on the dash needs maybe a vinyl wrap, perhaps also along with the door grabs which will fade bad through the years I feel like. The fact this thing isnt jam packed full of info entertainment systems and flip switches all over the place, control knobs for everything blah blah blah make me really happy. Some of these new cars out ***cough*** "audi" ***cough**** Have just wayyyyy wayyyy too much to distract you from the road.

Eco friendly? I think so... So far I'm getting MPG that make my eyes hurt in a good way. I have the AC on full blast, leaving it above 2200rpm's most of the time when cruising and I'm seeing 23+mpg avg on the dash. For a new engine still breaking in thats impressive. In no way im being a granny, but the theory of drive it like you stole it is not activated yet either. Basically its first date rules "keep it under 2nd base until you know her well" All in all I see myself being very happy with the FRS. Especially when all the goodies hit the market.

I would also like to thank Toyota of Dallas for being such a top notch dealership throughout the buying process. After reading what some of you are having to deal with at other dealerships it really backs my gut feeling on buying this over many other vehicle brands that would have been even more powerful. Pure price indeed and if you ask me its the most balanced bargain of the sports car world right now.

Welcome back Hachi-Roku !

Last edited by NeedsmoreCowbell; 05-27-2012 at 01:33 PM.
NeedsmoreCowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to NeedsmoreCowbell For This Useful Post:
avusblue (05-28-2012), bestwheelbase (05-27-2012), Bristecom (06-06-2012), CLTBRZ (05-27-2012), CoRi J (05-27-2012), ESBjiujitsu (05-27-2012), Fly Guy (05-27-2012), Grateful Dave (05-27-2012), Guff (05-28-2012), Marrk (05-31-2012), MiguelAE86 (05-28-2012), Scooby (05-30-2012), SioXie101 (05-27-2012), TPO (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I like this color the more I see it. Congrats!
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
NeedsmoreCowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
thanks Lonewolf. The pictures from an Iphone do it no justice. In person its just MMMM sexy. Side profile is intense.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsmoreCowbell View Post
Some of these new cars out ***cough*** "audi" ***cough**** Have just wayyyyy wayyyy too much to distract you from the road.
Off-topic, but if you know how to use them properly, they shouldn't distract you at all. 90% of the functions can be controlled via the steering wheel which makes it so you don't have to take your hands off the wheel. The stereo and HVAC functions are displayed in your peripheral vision so you don't have to glance down and take your eyes completely off the road. Most of the radio, nav, and telephone functions are voice activated. I drive these cars every day; I don't find them in the least bit distracting...

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Love the orange. I wish Subaru offered it on the BRZ. Reminds me of the Redline Orange Pearl the Si's used to come with.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
NeedsmoreCowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Off-topic, but if you know how to use them properly, they shouldn't distract you at all. 90% of the functions can be controlled via the steering wheel which makes it so you don't have to take your hands off the wheel. The stereo and HVAC functions are displayed in your peripheral vision so you don't have to glance down and take your eyes completely off the road. Most of the radio, nav, and telephone functions are voice activated. I drive these cars every day; I don't find them in the least bit distracting...
Yes that is true Turbowned once you gain full knowledge of the system it is pretty easy to operate while driving. Until then you will find yourself looking down, looking down to the right, which takes the eyes off the road and the attention as well. Heck most of the menu's you can't even operate them while driving. As someone that has owned and driven many many audi's I love the benefit of all the gizmo's but feel it takes away from the true driving presence. Its a fun system to play with and thats the issue for me. I always found myself strolling through contacts, messing with GPS, trying to find the right music, trying to connect bluetooth, doing diagnostic checks at lights, whether it was looking at the middle console screen or the smaller one it just would take personally my eyes of the road more. In fact you will probably cast me out of audizine for saying this but I traded in a very nice A4Q6speed for the FRS. It might not have all the technology in the world, but personally thats what I love about it. Simplicity in driving. Please dont take this as hatred towards VAG I still love my Ingolstadt brothers and sisters. I picked an audi over an STI and evo 10. I still own a VW Tiguan SE with some nice bells and whistles, plus a little bit of rosstech work always is a plus. I'm just at a different place in life needs wise for a vehicle. If audi or vw would bring out that little rag top rear wheel drive fun box in a plain jane suit. I would be all over it. As far as technology in a car goes from a just for me car all I need is the car and bluetooth, nothing else. I really like not having any buttons on the steering wheel that could get scrolled while driving. I will miss having the MMI but its honestly something I have grown tired of in a vehicle.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Congrats!

Nice username.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyV2cPLuFuA"]I've Got A Fever... - YouTube[/ame]
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
Jayde (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsmoreCowbell View Post
Yes that is true Turbowned once you gain full knowledge of the system it is pretty easy to operate while driving. Until then you will find yourself looking down, looking down to the right, which takes the eyes off the road and the attention as well. Heck most of the menu's you can't even operate them while driving. As someone that has owned and driven many many audi's I love the benefit of all the gizmo's but feel it takes away from the true driving presence. Its a fun system to play with and thats the issue for me. I always found myself strolling through contacts, messing with GPS, trying to find the right music, trying to connect bluetooth, doing diagnostic checks at lights, whether it was looking at the middle console screen or the smaller one it just would take personally my eyes of the road more. In fact you will probably cast me out of audizine for saying this but I traded in a very nice A4Q6speed for the FRS. It might not have all the technology in the world, but personally thats what I love about it. Simplicity in driving. Please dont take this as hatred towards VAG I still love my Ingolstadt brothers and sisters. I picked an audi over an STI and evo 10. I still own a VW Tiguan SE with some nice bells and whistles, plus a little bit of rosstech work always is a plus. I'm just at a different place in life needs wise for a vehicle. If audi or vw would bring out that little rag top rear wheel drive fun box in a plain jane suit. I would be all over it. As far as technology in a car goes from a just for me car all I need is the car and bluetooth, nothing else. I really like not having any buttons on the steering wheel that could get scrolled while driving. I will miss having the MMI but its honestly something I have grown tired of in a vehicle.
Fair enough. I too am getting a BRZ because Audi doesn't offer what I want at the moment. If they still offered the TT with a manual transmission, things might be different. There aren't even any good used ones out there right now. My S4 is absolutely brilliant but it weighs 3800lbs, come on. The BRZ is bringing me back to my lightweight RWD roots, but I'll be keeping all the gadgets in the form of the Limited trim

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Congrats!
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
NeedsmoreCowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Fair enough. I too am getting a BRZ because Audi doesn't offer what I want at the moment. If they still offered the TT with a manual transmission, things might be different. There aren't even any good used ones out there right now. My S4 is absolutely brilliant but it weighs 3800lbs, come on. The BRZ is bringing me back to my lightweight RWD roots, but I'll be keeping all the gadgets in the form of the Limited trim
Could you imagine if the TT came with some sort of a rear wheel drive setting! You know why the switch happened. front engine over the wheels, body roll, understeer at first then oversteer available lol. If only your B5 S4 (im guessing that by the weight you mentioned) was 3200 pounds. That thing would sling around with probably tires lifting off the ground in most turns lol.

Also the biggest first lesson I learned driving the FRS was its not an all wheel drive vehicle. The steering input needed is so minut it threw me off at first because I was trying to drive it like a B7. I learned fast to tone it way down.

As for the badges I cant wait to debadge it must be a german thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
Congrats!
Thanks Dave....

BTW the backseats work just fine

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NeedsmoreCowbell For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-27-2012), Fly Guy (05-27-2012), Grateful Dave (05-27-2012), Guff (05-28-2012), kwood9000 (05-27-2012), n2oinferno (06-01-2012), TPO (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Is that a Recaro children's seat?!
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jayde For This Useful Post:
djdnz (05-27-2012), MiguelAE86 (05-28-2012), WRXGuy1 (05-31-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
SioXie101

Drives: 2008 GMC Acadia, 2003 Nissan Altima
love the color and love the recaro child seat.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
NeedsmoreCowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde View Post
Is that a Recaro children's seat?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SioXie101 View Post
love the color and love the recaro child seat.

Yes its a recaro, something I picked up from the audi days. Its the light one not the big premium one. It fits just perfect in the back seat. Most baby seat brands will not fit in those back seats. Just another box the FRS gets to check off. I really wonder what baby seat they used during R&D. Those baby hooks are great
Old 05-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Drives: Mazdaspeed 6 2.3 AWD Turbo
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
i couldnt agree more!!! great pics and nice write up! thanks!

92 carmy -> 86 corolla-> Honda S2000 -> Audi TT -> Mazdaspeed6 -> NEXT UP TOYOTA FT-86!!!!
ESBjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ESBjiujitsu For This Useful Post:
NeedsmoreCowbell (05-27-2012)