follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #113
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepeel View Post
The stock Michelins (summer tires) are actually quite good - not as fast as the extreme performance summers but still very good.

The stock Bridgestones (all-seasons) are horrible. I had a chance to sample them because I bought takeoffs with the Bridgestones. Now this is a bad tire.
Yeah agree. I was just posting yesterday in another thread where there was a lot of disagreement about how good the "stock tires" were.

It gets confusing because there are really two stock tires: Primacys and Turanzas. The summer Primacys are actually decent and come close to MPSS in overall peak grip at the track (as tested by Orthojoe), whereas the all-season Turanzas are nowhere near that level. So I think that's at least part of the confusion/disagreement.

I can also confirm the Turanzas are crap at autox. Only good if you're trying to go sideways or enjoy feathering the throttle everywhere.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #114
Silver Ignition
APEXHNTR

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #1867
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Yeah agree. I was just posting yesterday in another thread where there was a lot of disagreement about how good the "stock tires" were.

It gets confusing because there are really two stock tires: Primacys and Turanzas. The summer Primacys are actually decent and come close to MPSS in overall peak grip at the track (as tested by Orthojoe), whereas the all-season Turanzas are nowhere near that level. So I think that's at least part of the confusion/disagreement.

I can also confirm the Turanzas are crap at autox. Only good if you're trying to go sideways or enjoy feathering the throttle everywhere.
I ran the Primacys at my last AutoX and they weren't fantastic. I pushed them hard, don't get me wrong, but there was no point during the lap that I felt like the car was connected to the ground...understeer, oversteer, losing traction on braking and acceleration...upgrading soon
#1867 of 2500

in the garage...2001 Toyota 4Runner [Solid Axle Rock Toy], 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT [Shitwagon], 2004 Honda Interceptor VFR800 [daily rider], 1978 Suzuki GS750 [Café Racer]
Silver Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #115
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ignition View Post
I ran the Primacys at my last AutoX and they weren't fantastic. I pushed them hard, don't get me wrong, but there was no point during the lap that I felt like the car was connected to the ground...understeer, oversteer, losing traction on braking and acceleration...upgrading soon
I don't think anybody is saying they are fantastic, just that they are very underrated especially with how journalists ran with the 'prius tires' commentary because Audi A4 tires doesn't sound as inflammatory.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #116
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ignition View Post
For the track and autocross, I really enjoyed the difference changing from all-season Turanzas to summer Sumitomo HTR ZIII. I feel like the Sumitomos are slippery enough where you can feel the rear end slide if you get on the throttle early or have poor technique, but are sticky enough where you don't feel like you're constantly babying the throttle.

Next up for me are 235 width NT05s for the heat tolerance. It's possible these will put me into the "too much grip" category, but the Sumitomos have the tendancy to get greasy partway through a 25-min session. I'm hoping the extra width and more track-focused nature of the Nittos will allow them to stay fresh longer into track sessions.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #117
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Some came with stock summer Michelin Primacy's. Others came with all-season Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02's, as a no-charge option.

It appears most of the cars with all-seasons were sold in the colder states.
This is correct, however I also think the at current weather season also affected the rollout in some states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
If you live in an area that is flat and straight, buying this car is a mistake IMHO. I too live in PA but if I still lived in the flat midwest it would have been WRX all the way. This car is a great drivers car but the engine is a dog. Its an NA with more lag than a 70' turbo due to the torque dip. The FA20 will not be used in any other cars, its a one-off mistake . Everything else about the car is great, I blame Tada for this grave mistake that kept this from being a world class car.
This is a bogus comment. The FA20 has already been carried over into the forester XT. And as far as the torque dip, it adds character to the car. You have to work for the power, to drive with the torque dip in mind will allow you to become a better driver for this car.

Quote:
100% Correct.
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #118
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSupra View Post
This is correct, however I also think the at current weather season also affected the rollout in some states.

This is a bogus comment. The FA20 has already been carried over into the forester XT. And as far as the torque dip, it adds character to the car. You have to work for the power, to drive with the torque dip in mind will allow you to become a better driver for this car.

100% Correct.

The FA20 has not been carried over to ANYTHING. Those cars are using the FA20T, witch is a COMPLETELY different engine. The only thing the same is the crank. The heads are different as are the pistons and of course the DI is completely different (no crickets.) Finally they have factory tuned turbos as this car should have.

You guys really should read this thread from some of the pioneers of this forum:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ferrerid=13150

And despite the engine this is a GREAT CAR !

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib

Last edited by regal; 05-17-2014 at 03:37 PM.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #119
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
The FA20 has not been carried over to ANYTHING. Those cars are using the FA20T, witch is a COMPLETELY different engine. The only thing the same is the crank. The heads are different as are the pistons and of course the DI is completely different (no crickets.) Finally they have factory tuned turbos as this car should have.

You guys really should read this thread from some of the pioneers of this forum:

And despite the engine this is a GREAT CAR !
Why would you expect the FA20T to have the same heads, pistons, combustion chambers, fuel system , etc when it's designed and optimized for FI ? Different requirements, different parts where appropriate. To think they would be interchangeable is ridiculous.

That thread you reference is from early 2011 and is all guessing and conjecture for the most part. How is that relevant to anything now? Makes no sense, yet again.

I find the engine to be in character with the rest of the car. I also appreciate the D4S system and the added power it provides for this 2.0L engine. Love the high CR and immediate throttle response. It's a NA 2.0L, does pretty good for what it is.
Try sticking the engine from the Toyota yaris in your car.. Then maybe you will be happy..
All your posts about fa20 failures and longevity issues are usually blown out of proportion and inaccurate.
You bought the wrong car and then blame the world.
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mikem53 For This Useful Post:
FRSupra (05-19-2014), Jond63 (05-17-2014), Trettiosjuan (05-17-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #120
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
Why would you expect the FA20T to have the same heads, pistons, combustion chambers, fuel system , etc when it's designed and optimized for FI ? Different requirements, different parts where appropriate. To think they would be interchangeable is ridiculous.

That thread you reference is from early 2011 and is all guessing and conjecture for the most part. How is that relevant to anything now? Makes no sense, yet again.

I find the engine to be in character with the rest of the car. I also appreciate the D4S system and the added power it provides for this 2.0L engine. Love the high CR and immediate throttle response. It's a NA 2.0L, does pretty good for what it is.
Try sticking the engine from the Toyota yaris in your car.. Then maybe you will be happy..
All your posts about fa20 failures and longevity issues are usually blown out of proportion and inaccurate.
You bought the wrong car and then blame the world.

My point is this is a one-off engine, if you are truly a fan of the twins you will be fixing/wrenching on them for many years. That D4-s system is going to be expensive to get parts for, but most significantly being a one-off, the short-block will probably become expensive if sales don't remain strong.

That's my point and also the D4-S torque dip contradicts Tada's whole line of BS of not wanting to turbo the engine. I think it shows a lack of knowledge of low displacement high compression DIT technology that can be made more NA-ish than a DI NA motor.

The only real argument for this car not having a turbo is two fold. One its probably plenty fast and if a header can kill the torque dip then I'd be satisfied. And two for warranty there is some evidence that a turbo impacts engine longevity negatively (although I personally think that's people turning up the boost.)

Again this is a GREAT CAR flaws and all.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Old 05-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #121
Trettiosjuan

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
... and if a header can kill the torque dip then I'd be satisfied.
If it really bothers you, this single part with no added issues (like CEL, added noise or increased emissions) fixes it:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52835

Last edited by Trettiosjuan; 05-17-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Trettiosjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #122
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I've always said this all along... this car is perfect in the target price point. We're getting high class performance at bargain basement prices. People need to realize that Toyota was aiming for Porsche Cayman handling characteristics and I believe they achieved it. Now, it's up to the end user to add power where fitting. Toyota left that part up to us. They gave us a superb platform for a baseline.

What the hell else are you gonna buy at $25k brand new? Honda Si? Porky GenCoupe 2.0t? There's no questioning, if you want the sports car out of the bunch, FRS/BRZ is the only choice.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #123
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post

I'm not the guy who posted the FA20 is being used in the turbo WRX and Forester, I was responding to that BS. You really need to start reading threads instead of posting 3rd grade photo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trettiosjuan View Post
If it really bothers you, this single part with no added issues (like CEL, added noise or increased emissions) fixes it:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52835
I'm heading a direction similar eventually, though I'm not going to put aftermarket cats right next to the heads where they might fall apart every year. With the tatrix and romraider I can disable that CEL algorithm. Thanks for the input though a header and tune keeps seeming like the answer to my only issue with the car! I'm waiting on warranty to run out and tuning to mature a little (Mikem53 you may have to use the dictionary for that word sorry.)

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Old 05-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #124
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm not the guy who posted the FA20 is being used in the turbo WRX and Forester, I was responding to that BS. You really need to start reading threads instead of posting 3rd grade photo's.

! I'm waiting on warranty to run out and tuning to mature a little (Mikem53 you may have to use the dictionary for that word sorry.)
You really need help. You don't have a clue.. Except how to complain.
Below is your quote.. Clueless as usual and you are a complete waste of time..

Quote:
The pistons are better in the FA20T (lower comp.) and obviously the heads and the entire DI system is superior to the D4-S junk on our cars.

This think this will become a popular swap with the right header and charge pipe.
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #125
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingRectumSyndrome View Post
Perhaps I am a bit harsh, but it comes from"been there, done that". The live axle argument illustrates it perfectly. It's a never-ending quest for more horsepower, generally at the expense of making the car less and less useful. You end up with a quarter mile monster that goes through gas like it was free, but there's always someone who has gone to even further extremes. And in the end, really, I could teach a monkey to mash a gas pedal. Real driving is a little more involved, taking planning and strategy and observation. A car that is optimized to work with the driver needs to do more than just accelerate. Too much weight or power can be a detriment. There needs to be a balance. I think that's the appeal of the twins. "Seeing the light" isn't elitism, it's seeing a larger picture, and being open to a driving experience that is more than one-dimensional.
Again you keep shoving every mustang owner into the same box. This is coming from someone who has experience in modern Mutangs, Boss 302s specifically. Zero horsepower mods, over $10k in brakes and a few thousand in suspension and it was a fantastic track car, live axle and all. More fun on track than my BRZ too.

Just because some owners prefer drag racing a mustang doesn't mean that all owners are like that. Hell since I know only one drag racer with a mustang and over 10 local mustang track guys the perception is pretty opposite to me.. and all of those owners LOVE the idea of IRS for the mustang.

Depending on how the new mustang is, I might sell the BRZ for one. :shrug: I'm a car enthusiast and don't give a rats ass what badge is on the car.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
airjonny (05-18-2014), Deep Six (05-18-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #126
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
I could not agree more with this statemet. 98% of the time when getting into a conversation with people I always hear, "It's just so slow", or, "Needs a turbo" OR "Needs AWD + Turbo".
You see it on facebook all the time, less in real life because people are no longer hiding behind their computer but you get the idea..
It is too slow. If I switch to the BRZ from any of my other cars it's amazing how slow it is. On track I think I could eat lunch on the back straight at Sebring and finish before T17.

If the car had 50 more WHP it would be perfect IMO, it doesn't need 400hp or anything like that, but it does need more.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote