follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Dephective

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Universal Oil Cooler kits

I've never purchased an oil cooler, but I'm going to pull the trigger on one here soon and I'm genuinely upset at the ridiculous cost of such kits. Looking for universal kits on Amazon (overlooked a lot of times) a Mishimoto thermostatically controlled unit can be had for under $300 vs. $600 market price for basically the same thing with a bracket. Am I missing something? I know Amazon is cheap, but why aren't more people using these kits? Looks to me like you would only need to get a sandwich plate adapter.

Here's an example of the kit
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMOC-UTBK-Universal-10-Row-Thermostatic/dp/B00CJ6JH8O/ref=sr_1_21?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1377972955&sr =1-21&keywords=universal+oil+cooler"]Amazon.com: Mishimoto MMOC-UTBK Black Universal 10-Row Thermostatic Oil Cooler Kit: Automotive[/ame]

'01 Accord-daily
'93 Rx7-fire breathing track monster 545hp 397tq 2300lb.
'06 Mazdaspeed6 one helluva love-hate relationship
Dephective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephective View Post
I've never purchased an oil cooler, but I'm going to pull the trigger on one here soon and I'm genuinely upset at the ridiculous cost of such kits. Looking for universal kits on Amazon (overlooked a lot of times) a Mishimoto thermostatically controlled unit can be had for under $300 vs. $600 market price for basically the same thing with a bracket. Am I missing something? I know Amazon is cheap, but why aren't more people using these kits? Looks to me like you would only need to get a sandwich plate adapter.

Here's an example of the kit
Amazon.com: Mishimoto MMOC-UTBK Black Universal 10-Row Thermostatic Oil Cooler Kit: Automotive

go see @F1point4 in his diy on one id steer clear of mishimoto
Old 08-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Because by the time you add the mocal sandwich plate (only one I know of you can buy by itself for the 86) your spending nearly as much. It's just easier to get something with the right size lines and all that. Support after the sale is nice, too.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Dephective

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
go see @F1point4 in his diy on one id steer clear of mishimoto
I read the thread on the leaks from his Mishimoto kit. From what I understand it was the banjo bolts. Those can easily be sourced for cheap elsewhere. I wasn't being brand specific, as there are many other universal kits available (Godspeed Project, CXracing, etc.)

Also, if you sourced the parts yourself you could potentially get your cost down further than that. A CXracing core can be had from their site for ~$50. Lines for another $75. The thermostatic plate would be the most expensive piece.

My point tho was why spent double the money on literally the same kit the only difference being the bracket? It's not really a question for the consumers I guess, but rather for the vendors. They are all extremely overpriced for what you get. The Perrin and Mishimoto kits aren't anything special. It's a bar and plate core with some lines and a sandwhich plate adapter. Even the theromostats are less than $20.

'01 Accord-daily
Old 08-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
charged86

well my point was not to use mishimoto because of their quality I am not a fan. and doing it f1point4's way is half the cost of perrin and the setrab oil cooler is one of the worlds best. I would advise not skimping out on some thing that runs blistering hot oil through it. its a fire safety, oil on the road issue and oil pressure, and oil low engine lockup issue. but its your car just my .02
Old 08-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Dephective

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
Because by the time you add the mocal sandwich plate (only one I know of you can buy by itself for the 86) your spending nearly as much. It's just easier to get something with the right size lines and all that. Support after the sale is nice, too.
Seems that Amazon post I linked was from Mishimoto as a Vendor on their site. And regardless of vendor, the manufacturer should stand behind their product. Mishimoto, in my experience with intercoolers, is very good about this.

Mishimoto also sells a solo sandwhich plate adapter. If you didn't care about a thermostatic unit, it would be cheaper

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-t...ich-plate.html

'01 Accord-daily
Old 08-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
charged86

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...Sandwich_Plate
159$

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-t...ich-plate.html

and if you think mishimoto is better im sorry
Old 08-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Dephective

You're assuming I'm sticking with a Mishi setup. I was showing that there are options available. I will probably end up going the rout that he took, I'm just proving a point that you can literally get the same kit that comes off the shelves for half the cost. Why is it that there is such a mark-up on these items?

It would be different if it were some outrageously designed product that obviously set itself apart from what's out there, but that's not the case. I'm just scratching my head in wonder is all.

'01 Accord-daily
Old 08-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
charged86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephective View Post
You're assuming I'm sticking with a Mishi setup. I was showing that there are options available. I will probably end up going the rout that he took, I'm just proving a point that you can literally get the same kit that comes off the shelves for half the cost. Why is it that there is such a mark-up on these items?

It would be different if it were some outrageously designed product that obviously set itself apart from what's out there, but that's not the case. I'm just scratching my head in wonder is all.

oh im sorry lol have you gone to summit-racing.com? they have a lot for cheap and some already have fans on them as well. im sure you have heard of it just saying let me know which one you get. im going to do this in the next two months too bad summer will already be over!
Old 08-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
Dephective

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
oh im sorry lol have you gone to summit-racing.com? they have a lot for cheap and some already have fans on them as well. im sure you have heard of it just saying let me know which one you get. im going to do this in the next two months too bad summer will already be over!
I've actually never used Summit but it would be hard not to recognize them. Their brand is plastered everywhere on Speed channel lol.

I'm a little late as well, I picked the car up at the end of March so I wasn't familiar with the need for an oil cooler by the time summer started. It would have been nice with the 95 degree weather we get day after day here in FL.

I'll post pics when the time comes for me to pull the trigger on a cooler, just not sure which one I'm going to go with yet. I'll probably source everything myself. I might have an old core from my FD. I had to upgrade mine after swapping turbo setups when my temps got higher. It should do the job for this application tho if I still have it.

'01 Accord-daily
The Following User Says Thank You to Dephective For This Useful Post:
charged86 (08-31-2013)