follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #1177
john5757

Drives: imaginary brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
looks pretty good, what do you have done to the car?
Old 12-12-2016, 05:26 AM   #1178
BRZ RN

Drives: Blue BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john5757 View Post
looks pretty good, what do you have done to the car?
me? Header, overpipe, exhaust, 1.5 way diff and coilovers. strut bars front and rear. OFT tune.
BRZ RN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZ RN For This Useful Post:
john5757 (12-12-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #1179
rkaywhodat

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 Halo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have an 86 as my DD and have everything stock currently, this upcoming summer I plan to do may be one track day and may be some drifting on a skid pad. My future plan is a few days like this per summer.

I planned to upgrade my brake pads to Project Mu HC+800 pads and use DOT 4 brake fluid as I believe this should be suitable for daily driving in the summer with a few days of drifting and may be a track day or two.

My question is should I switch back to the stock pads during the winter months? would the cross-over/hybrid pads be bad during the winter months?
rkaywhodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #1180
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaywhodat View Post
I have an 86 as my DD and have everything stock currently, this upcoming summer I plan to do may be one track day and may be some drifting on a skid pad. My future plan is a few days like this per summer.

I planned to upgrade my brake pads to Project Mu HC+800 pads and use DOT 4 brake fluid as I believe this should be suitable for daily driving in the summer with a few days of drifting and may be a track day or two.

My question is should I switch back to the stock pads during the winter months? would the cross-over/hybrid pads be bad during the winter months?
I'm on the same pads and they are "grabbier" than the stock pads but nothing crazy. You can still softly brake on them, they will just make a little noise. Just be gentle in your inputs and you will be fine.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #1181
Ryaquinn

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
[ame]http://youtu.be/WRpkg90wRVk[/ame]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2016, 03:41 AM   #1182
BRZ RN

force feedback and adding caster: im using group N sti top mounts for my suspension, i've drifted the car once and when I did I was doing most of the countersteer contrary to a lot of videos that we see in drift videos. I understand that the car is electric steering but is there a way to improve this? positive caster maybe? changing top mounts to adjustable? perrin caster kit? thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #1183
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ RN View Post
force feedback and adding caster: im using group N sti top mounts for my suspension, i've drifted the car once and when I did I was doing most of the countersteer contrary to a lot of videos that we see in drift videos. I understand that the car is electric steering but is there a way to improve this? positive caster maybe? changing top mounts to adjustable? perrin caster kit? thanks in advance.
Well, more caster will indeed help, but i suspect there is a bigger issue at play here. These cars have a good amount of positive caster from factory if I recall, and I don't know of many options that allow for much caster adjustment aside from +/-1*

My wheel is pretty responsive. Do you have any drifting experience prior to this chassis? If not (and theres no shame in that) I have a suspicion you're hanging onto the wheel more than you may even realize.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #1184
BRZ RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
Well, more caster will indeed help, but i suspect there is a bigger issue at play here. These cars have a good amount of positive caster from factory if I recall, and I don't know of many options that allow for much caster adjustment aside from +/-1*

My wheel is pretty responsive. Do you have any drifting experience prior to this chassis? If not (and theres no shame in that) I have a suspicion you're hanging onto the wheel more than you may even realize.

I drifted the car one full drift day so far. It is responsive but im after the forcefeedback during countersteer

Old 12-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #1185
Shady195

Quote:
I drifted the car one full drift day so far. It is responsive but im after the forcefeedback during countersteer

Whats done to your car currently?

These cars self-steer really good out of the box, which is why I asked about your experience with drifting. Its not going to rip the wheel out of your hands regardless of the amount of caster you run. You have to learn/know when to let go and when to grab it. All more caster would accomplish would be how quickly it snaps into the opposite lock when transitioning.

Videos of your runs in car would help. ALl the video i take is for my own self improvment, I could care less about sharing it but I know others like myself like to watch peoples driving habbits.

You can see in my video my wheel has no issues with self-steer and snapping back, and aside from the coilovers/bushings i have no adjustments to caster.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHEuC6n6p94"]Lebanon Valley Drift 9/2 Reverse Course - YouTube[/ame]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
6-Shift (01-17-2017), CarzCarzCarz (01-06-2017), TorontoNat (05-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #1186
BRZ RN

As for suspension kw coilovers, spc lca, bushing inserts. idk if you would consider strut bars part of the mod list. Thats about it.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #1187
Shady195

Quote:
As for suspension kw coilovers, spc lca, bushing inserts. idk if you would consider strut bars part of the mod list. Thats about it.

Didn't realize you posted a video, just watched a little bit of it...

Theres nothing wrong with the self-steer or force feedback as you called it. WHen you actually really break the traction in the rear the wheel snaps like its supposed to, however you're extremely grabby with the wheel! Don't fret, I think we all are a bit afraid to completely let the wheel free at first.

The few instances I noticed where you were "forcing" the wheel to turn yourself was really more when the car was pushing/understeering, it would then break a little and you'd try to wheel the car yourself..

Drifting is about steering with the throttle as much as it is the wheel itself. It will take some time but once you get some more confidence in what the car is doing underneath you, you will feel more comfortable letting go of the wheel. If you watch my video, aside from the parts where I was clearly pushing much like you were, you will notice during transitions I let go of the wheel almost completely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
BRZ RN (01-13-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #1188
Shinchu

Drives: 2016 FR-S Asphault MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Shady speaks truth.
When i had my ae86 (not in my sig, first one was red) i was man handling the wheel and wrestling the car into drifts. A buddy of mine who was on here for a bit, equinox, told me after riding with me... hey this might sound crazy but after you initiate, just let go of the wheel.
I tried it and holy shit, the car practically drifted itself. The rest of the day i got tons of compliments on how much i had improved out there.

Jesus take the wheel.

I swear it works! Watch in car footage of drifting and you will get it.
Force feedback haha thats a video game wheel feature, a good one, but leave that in gamerland. Its great practice and i fully credit games like forza for creating better drifters, like my buddy ryan litteral (thats his old car i bought from him in my sig). But yeah dont mix the lingo too much haha
Most importantly...

Keep drifting fun!!!!!

http://www.poweredbymax.net/
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinchu For This Useful Post:
BRZ RN (01-13-2017), TorontoNat (05-23-2018)
Old 01-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #1189
BRZ RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Shady speaks truth.
When i had my ae86 (not in my sig, first one was red) i was man handling the wheel and wrestling the car into drifts. A buddy of mine who was on here for a bit, equinox, told me after riding with me... hey this might sound crazy but after you initiate, just let go of the wheel.
I tried it and holy shit, the car practically drifted itself. The rest of the day i got tons of compliments on how much i had improved out there.

Jesus take the wheel.

I swear it works! Watch in car footage of drifting and you will get it.
Force feedback haha thats a video game wheel feature, a good one, but leave that in gamerland. Its great practice and i fully credit games like forza for creating better drifters, like my buddy ryan litteral (thats his old car i bought from him in my sig). But yeah dont mix the lingo too much haha
Most importantly...

Keep drifting fun!!!!!
just couldn't find the most appropriate description of it. hoping to have more fun drifts this year
Old 01-17-2017, 10:34 PM   #1190
6-Shift
Señor Member

Drives: 2013 Raven, Drifty things
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
Whats done to your car currently?

These cars self-steer really good out of the box, which is why I asked about your experience with drifting. Its not going to rip the wheel out of your hands regardless of the amount of caster you run. You have to learn/know when to let go and when to grab it. All more caster would accomplish would be how quickly it snaps into the opposite lock when transitioning.

Videos of your runs in car would help. ALl the video i take is for my own self improvment, I could care less about sharing it but I know others like myself like to watch peoples driving habbits.

You can see in my video my wheel has no issues with self-steer and snapping back, and aside from the coilovers/bushings i have no adjustments to caster.

That was awesome!
6-Shift is offline   Reply With Quote