follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #85
DrSteezey

Drives: 07 Camry soon to be FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
holy hell. i would buy this right now if i had the money to.

congratulations though on the baby! =) sucks that you have to let go of this baby. you still have a few months of fun before she gets bigger and will find the car uncomfortable. until then just look around, and ask around, even on here and see what people have to say and would be willing to pay for it.

best of luck to you!
DrSteezey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #86
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Thankfully, I have one of those wives that "gets" the whole driving experience, along with my boylike glee that comes with the FR-S. May be part of the reason I married her

And, as far as those guys who have had their dreams "crushed," they were obviously p-whipped and couldn't explain the necessity of having such a fine car to their woman. Or they married a complete bitch, just sayin.

If I may pontificate: Marriage should always be a friendly compromise. If one side is always giving into the other, you can guess that the one who is giving up what they want will be unhappy. I pity those who didn't take the time to properly get to know their wives and married them simply because "oh, she's hot." When you see these "best wife ever" posts and pictures, its because she knows this as well as anyone else: Marriage is a partnership. You may not get what you want 100% of the time, but if you can keep it at a solid 50%, everyone will end up happy.

True when my grandparents were married, and true today.
I agree with what you're saying. However, on the point of marrying "bitches," the sad truth is that many women slowly transmigrate into bitchiness. The flare and romance of marriage wears off and then you really see them begin to grow more resentment and even bitterness.

Alternatively though, sometimes the woman is just sick of the messes and money-stealing nature of the car hobby. As easy as it may be for us to come to terms with the fact of expenses involving our passion, women don't tend to see it the same way.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #87
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
Sure it wasnt the concrete driveway with a rock for a pillow?
Thankfully, the wifey wasn't that brutal.....................

................ At least this time around, hahahe!

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #88
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisked Accolade View Post
I agree with what you're saying. However, on the point of marrying "bitches," the sad truth is that many women slowly transmigrate into bitchiness. The flare and romance of marriage wears off and then you really see them begin to grow more resentment and even bitterness.

Alternatively though, sometimes the woman is just sick of the messes and money-stealing nature of the car hobby. As easy as it may be for us to come to terms with the fact of expenses involving our passion, women don't tend to see it the same way.
They don't change. The warning signs are always there from the start, it's just that most guys (or at least half, judging by divorce rates) either don't notice them or choose to ignore them

They choose to believe that "she'll grow out of that" while the wife believes that he'll grow out of the car thing. When it becomes apparent that she really is what she always was and he is what he always was, that's when the bitterness and resentment comes in.

If car guys spent half as much time selecting a spouse as they spend selecting a set of coil overs, these things wouldn't happen.

-Justin
Old 08-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #89
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalscionchamp View Post
So sometimes good news can be bad news lol. Two weeks after dumping about $8,000 into my brand new six speed whiteout fr-s I come home to find out my wife is pregnant. I drive an old toyota 4x4 and sold my wife's 4 door civic si to get the frs. After some heated arguments about how car seats could easily fit and me having waited for three years for this car to come out I have finally come to the conclusion that I will not win this battle...So now I guess my question is what avenue would be the best to try and recoup some of the money I dumped in? What do you think someone would pay for an FR-S 6 speed in whiteout with Bespoke audio, dealer installed uv limo tint that comes with a lifetime warranty, Cusco Street Zero 40 way adjustable coilovers, 18x8 +35 matte bronze TSW Nurburgring rotary forged wheels wrapped in Yokohama performance tires, and the Five Axis kit with spoiler (not even installed yet)....additionally all the badges and the whole suspension was painted to match the wheels except for the springs, they were professionally painted TRD Red along with all four brake calipers?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9235
Part the car out. Take off all the performance parts that will come off and list them in the classified section on this forum. Then drive the car the next 7 or 8 months and enjoy it. You are going to take a beating on the resale anyway because it became a used car the moment you titled it. The hit will not be much worse 6-8 months from now so you might as well enjoy it while you can. In most cases a stock car will sell better than a modded car and you never never never get back anywhere near what you invest into modding a car.

Congratz on the baby. IN the end you will find raising a child a much more rewarding experience than modding a car. Besides, when you ship the little chip off the old block off to college 18 years from now then you can buy a car and start modding to your hearts content. That is what I did anyway. Well, after 5 kids.

Best of luck to you.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #90
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisked Accolade View Post

Man, who have you been dating?!? Women don't change into "bitches," they usually are from the start (if they are indeed horrible women). If you can't figure it out early on, I feel sorry for you dude. Sounds like you have gotten pretty screwed over in the past if that's your opinion of women, and I'm sorry to hear that.

As far as the car hobby, its no different from any other major hobby. If she can't figure out that you have a significant interest in something early on, that its something you love and are passionate about, then she should be kicked to the curb ASAP.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #91
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Garage
Asterisked Accolade does have a point. The honeymoon phase does wear off and then.. things settle down. It's the reality with anything and anyone.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #92
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
I'll take a different approach to this:

So you have your Toyota 4x4, you sell your wife's car (with or without her permission, it's gone) to get your own car, and proceed to spend 1/3 of the value of the car on it, have fun with your wife between the sheets and now she carries your child and you're complaining?

It really looks like she got the short end of the stick here. She lost her car to get yours, she let you have fun while she has to carry the kid for 9 months and you're hung up on whether you should sell the car even after dumping that much money that the civic was probably worth?

Let's look at the net result, you sold your wife's car that paid for parts for your vehicle and you have a kid. Priorities much?

Sounds like a ME ME ME story and the wife who sacrificed to keep you happy.
You damn well better do what she needs you to support her through this time. The only thing you lost is maybe a few hours of sleep over those heated arguments.

Everyone calling her a bitch without knowing the full story, she's most likely hopped up on hormones from having a kid. I'm not letting the FR-S in question cloud objectivity here, I'm just going by what is in the OP's post.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ST185RC For This Useful Post:
JoeBoxer (08-18-2012), polarbear (08-15-2012), serith (08-15-2012), TuxedoCartman (08-19-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #93
polarbear

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST185RC View Post
I'll take a different approach to this:

So you have your Toyota 4x4, you sell your wife's car (with or without her permission, it's gone) to get your own car, and proceed to spend 1/3 of the value of the car on it, have fun with your wife between the sheets and now she carries your child and you're complaining?

It really looks like she got the short end of the stick here. She lost her car to get yours, she let you have fun while she has to carry the kid for 9 months and you're hung up on whether you should sell the car even after dumping that much money that the civic was probably worth?

Let's look at the net result, you sold your wife's car that paid for parts for your vehicle and you have a kid. Priorities much?

Sounds like a ME ME ME story and the wife who sacrificed to keep you happy.
You damn well better do what she needs you to support her through this time. The only thing you lost is maybe a few hours of sleep over those heated arguments.
I wish I could thank you a thousand times over.
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #94
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktherod View Post
Asterisked Accolade does have a point. The honeymoon phase does wear off and then.. things settle down. It's the reality with anything and anyone.
Been married for a year (in two weeks) and lived together for 2 years previous to that, and it will be 6 years of total relationship in January, with that first year being at a distances. So, really, 5 years of being in each other's hair. I'd like to think that the honeymoon phase was over well before we got married
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
eriktherod (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #95
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Garage
Oh definitely, I've been in some long relationships (2-3 years) and after the first one or two it becomes everyday. If you can take that person after as long as you have been around them, I'd say they're a keeper.

My theory is that once married, it's a lot harder to become separated. Whereas just dating (or even engaged), if somebody isn't happy with it they can just get up and leave. Each partner is aware of this and perhaps subconsciously tries harder knowing the relationship isn't "set in stone." After marriage, that feeling of having to try so hard perhaps disappears, at least that's my theory!

For me, I just try hard because I care about the other person but.. this is an entirely different discussion!
Asterisked Accolade (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #96
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm 25, been with my wife for almost 10 years (will be next month), and she is well aware that when it comes to cars, I will value her opinion, but it is ultimately up to me as to what I choose to drive. She was just happy that when I sold the mustang, that I didn't get a corvette like I originally told her I would haha.

We do not have any kids, but she drives a 2011 crv that will be the baby hauler for the majority of trips when we do.
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #97
TheFRSChick

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S / WhiteOut (37J)
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
mannnn that sucks soooooo hard ! if i was pregnant, ILL STILL KEEP THIS BABY! GET LIKE A 2G CIVIC to drive for the next 9 months lmao ! and once im done, GO BACK TO THE SEXYYY BABYYY OF MINES >:]
Old 08-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #98
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Man, who have you been dating?!? Women don't change into "bitches," they usually are from the start (if they are indeed horrible women). If you can't figure it out early on, I feel sorry for you dude. Sounds like you have gotten pretty screwed over in the past if that's your opinion of women, and I'm sorry to hear that.

As far as the car hobby, its no different from any other major hobby. If she can't figure out that you have a significant interest in something early on, that its something you love and are passionate about, then she should be kicked to the curb ASAP.
I think you're right, but i also think some women do change. You're also right about me having been screwed over in the past, but surprisingly i've always been the "dumpee" in my relationships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.b
They don't change. The warning signs are always there from the start, it's just that most guys (or at least half, judging by divorce rates) either don't notice them or choose to ignore them

They choose to believe that "she'll grow out of that" while the wife believes that he'll grow out of the car thing. When it becomes apparent that she really is what she always was and he is what he always was, that's when the bitterness and resentment comes in.

If car guys spent half as much time selecting a spouse as they spend selecting a set of coil overs, these things wouldn't happen.

-Justin
I'm very surprised by how much i'm agreeing with everyone while still holding a fairly inverse opinion. I think a lot of people really do get married too soon, and that leaves their livelihoods and property at great risk-- you never want to leave your belongings in the path of a scorned and vindictive woman.

Also, i agree that too many people marry "projects," or just people with quirks which they figure they'll just get used to. Personally, i don't value marriage in the slightest. But if i were to consider marriage or a higher-level relationship, i would have to love nearly everything about her to wager half my stuff on being in love for another fifty years.

Disclaimer:
I'd feel remiss if i didn't admit that these opinions are based on the life i've lived and the experiences of myself and those i've observed. My opinions may hold a greater volume of cynicism due to seeing much divorce and unrest in my family/friends' lives. Also, i was treated very unkindly during my childhood by girls and i myself have grown some vindication, resentment and distrust which may permeate an observation bias.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Asterisked Accolade For This Useful Post:
S2kphile (08-16-2012)