follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
dinfern22

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S(Halo)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OEM Arm rest....how has it held up? Any Tips!

Hey, what's up guys!

I finally pulled the trigger on the OEM armrest for my fr-s and they should arrive in a couple days, can't wait!
I had a couple questions about them, and I'd appreciate any advice.

How was the whole installation process, was it difficult? I am nervous as hell about drilling into my car so and tips will help.
Since putting the arm rest on, have you had any issues? Like the armrest making noise when you open/close them, or has the screws become loose and caused the arm rest to move around?

Thanks!
dinfern22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:22 PM   #2
vintagemxer

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Used real rivetnuts instead of rubber expander nuts...Worked great...no problems for 7 months...
vintagemxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
navanodd

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-tech WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm assuming that you're talking about the side-hinged Euro armrest?

I'm going on 4 years with it soon, and for the most part it has been great. Definitely happy with the purchase.

Installation:
- Nerve-racking, but easy.
- Take your time making the template.
- Get flashlights/lanterns in car to help see. I found it easiest to work from the backseat with both front seats pushed forward.
- Use something pointy to center punch the holes, triple check everything before drilling.

Issues:
- There are little plastic nubbins that cover up screw heads on the top cover. Basically its the hinge bolting to the padded portion. Sometimes these plastic nubbins fall off and I find them inside the cubby. No biggie.
- One of the hinge pins has worked its way out of position. This is a pain in the butt right now, but should only take 15 minutes plus some superglue or Loctite to fix, but I need to remove the armrest and then screw it back in. Right now its opens like a door to a house that only has one hinge.

As far as actual wear, I've really seen none. This thing is in great shape and the vinyl/leather is clearly OEM quality. It has stayed tight to the center console and no creaks or rattles have developed.

Last edited by navanodd; 12-26-2017 at 11:59 AM.
navanodd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to navanodd For This Useful Post:
dinfern22 (12-26-2017), Suparu (02-02-2020)
Old 12-26-2017, 02:42 AM   #4
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinfern22 View Post
I finally pulled the trigger on the OEM armrest for my fr-s and they should arrive in a couple days, can't wait!
There are two OEM armrests for the FR-S. There is the Toyota OEM armrest that looks like this:

And there is the Scion OEM sliding armrest that looks like this:

Although the first one is much better looking, I went with the second one because it's more practical and puts the armrest pad higher for us taller Americans. It also makes it possible to actually use the cup holders as cup holders by sliding the elbow pad out of the way. However, I use a seat wedge cupholder I got from an As Seen On TV store in a mall, since the OEM cupholder puts the cup right in the way of my elbow as I'm shifting.

I installed my armrest with rivets. It's quite solid when installed that way. It came with templates for the holes. My advice would be to take your time and measure more than once to make sure you get the templates in the right place. Although it's probably an easier job if you remove the center console from the car to work on a workbench, I did mine with it still in the car and didn't run into any major difficulties. I wouldn't expect the flopping door armrest to be any more difficult to install.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
dinfern22 (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 05:02 AM   #5
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey, what's up guys!

I had a couple questions about them, and I'd appreciate any advice.

How was the whole installation process, was it difficult? I am nervous as hell about drilling into my car so and tips will help.
Since putting the arm rest on, have you had any issues? Like the armrest making noise when you open/close them, or has the screws become loose and caused the arm rest to move around?

Thanks!
I was one of the first to buy and fit the OEM side hinged armrest. Has been installed for years and no issues whatsoever. I open and close it at least twice a day as my 86 is my daily drive and I drop the car fob into the centre console and also store my home garage door opener in there. Highly recommended.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #6
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
OEM side hinged armrest imho could have been much better off if it were rear hinged. That would add ease of access also to passenger. Still, i don't use center console for drinks (using door's bottle pocket), it blends well with interior looking OEM, unlike those partial covering armrests won't let dust gather there and is right height for elbow. Covers main points.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
dinfern22 (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
dinfern22

Thanks for all the advice guys!!
And yes, I bought hinge arm rest. Once done installing the arm rest I probably wont ever open the cover, as I never use the cup holders.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
dinfern22

Quote:
Originally Posted by navanodd View Post
I'm assuming that you're talking about the side-hinged Euro armrest?

I'm going on 4 years with it soon, and for the most part it has been great. Definitely happy with the purchase.

Installation:
- Nerve-racking, but easy.
- Take your time making the template.
- Get flashlights/lanterns in car to help see. I found it easiest to work from the backseat with both front seats pushed forward.
- Use something pointy to center punch the wholes, triple check everything before drilling.

Issues:
- There are little plastic nubbins that cover up screw heads on the top cover. Basically its the hinge bolting to the padded portion. Sometimes these plastic nubbins fall off and I find them inside the cubby. No biggie.
- One of the hinge pins has worked its way out of position. This is a pain in the butt right now, but should only take 15 minutes plus some superglue or Loctite to fix, but I need to remove the armrest and then screw it back in. Right now its opens like a door to a house that only has one hinge.

As far as actual wear, I've really seen none. This thing is in great shape and the vinyl/leather is clearly OEM quality. It has stayed tight to the center console and no creaks or rattles have developed.
Thanks man!
I was wondering...Do you think It's a good idea to first drill just the three holes for the three arm rest attachments, then just fit the armrest into the three holes then drill the other holes around the arm rest while its inserted?

Sounds confusing but I feel like this is a good way to avoid the mistake of first drilling all the holes then when I try to insert the screws the holes are out of place. As appose to when I drill the holes through the armrest slots while its inserted through just the three attachments, which will be 100% accurate.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #9
dinfern22

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
There are two OEM armrests for the FR-S. There is the Toyota OEM armrest that looks like this:

And there is the Scion OEM sliding armrest that looks like this:

Although the first one is much better looking, I went with the second one because it's more practical and puts the armrest pad higher for us taller Americans. It also makes it possible to actually use the cup holders as cup holders by sliding the elbow pad out of the way. However, I use a seat wedge cupholder I got from an As Seen On TV store in a mall, since the OEM cupholder puts the cup right in the way of my elbow as I'm shifting.

I installed my armrest with rivets. It's quite solid when installed that way. It came with templates for the holes. My advice would be to take your time and measure more than once to make sure you get the templates in the right place. Although it's probably an easier job if you remove the center console from the car to work on a workbench, I did mine with it still in the car and didn't run into any major difficulties. I wouldn't expect the flopping door armrest to be any more difficult to install.
Bro, do you know why rivets would be better as apposed to the ones Toyota sends?

Can I purchase these at like home depot or at other stores?
Also is there an exact size rivets I need to get for these screws?
Old 12-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
navanodd

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-tech WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks man!
I was wondering...Do you think It's a good idea to first drill just the three holes for the three arm rest attachments, then just fit the armrest into the three holes then drill the other holes around the arm rest while its inserted?

Sounds confusing but I feel like this is a good way to avoid the mistake of first drilling all the holes then when I try to insert the screws the holes are out of place. As appose to when I drill the holes through the armrest slots while its inserted through just the three attachments, which will be 100% accurate.
Yeah, doing it that way would probably work well.

As far as discussion regarding the rivets goes, I never had any issues with any of the hardware supplied.
navanodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #11
Limey

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I messed up with the little rubber expanders. If you push them too hard while aligning the bolts the metal piece pops out. Take your time, if needed you can replace with rivets. Main thing is to get the holes in the correct places. If you look at some of the diy’s for short shifters etc. you can see how easy it is to remove this trim piece if you get stuck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #12
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
>having any food in your car

T R I G G E R E D
R
I
G