follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
RR Racing
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #113
RFB
Senior Member
 
RFB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Drives: FRS
Location: Canada
Posts: 881
Thanks: 137
Thanked 397 Times in 273 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
easy fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANI86 View Post
I bought the GN gaskets along with brand new set of OEM tail lights. After about two months, the condensation slightly came back....I even have duct tape all over my taillight where the water drains into the channel of the tail lights. Water somehow will reach inside and eventually causes to moisten the inner housing. It's not as bad as before but the aftermath is still prominent upon evaporation. This problem is inevitable. With all of that water running down that channel, it will always come back. This is such a headache and I'm honestly starting to have second thoughts about keeping this car... It really sucks.

Sure seems like it really sucks the water past the gaskets !

The water came down the channel and UNDER the tape and through the gasket .

Four and a half years ago, with the Toyota oem gaskets, I sealed the top of the tail lights (as per my original post) with snow man snot from the dollar store (any waterproof putty will do).

The tails are still dry.
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #114
LANI86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Location: SoCal
Posts: 174
Thanks: 3
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post
Sure seems like it really sucks the water past the gaskets !

The water came down the channel and UNDER the tape and through the gasket .

Four and a half years ago, with the Toyota oem gaskets, I sealed the top of the tail lights (as per my original post) with snow man snot from the dollar store (any waterproof putty will do).

The tails are still dry.
I guess this will be my only way out of it too...how does it look in terms of visual wise? I know it won't be appealing but hoping it won't be that bad.
Thank god the bulbs can be replaced without having to remove the whole entire lense...
LANI86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #115
wdninja
Senior Member
 
wdninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport
Location: Richmond, VA, USA
Posts: 287
Thanks: 59
Thanked 142 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANI86 View Post
I bought the GN gaskets along with brand new set of OEM tail lights. After about two months, the condensation slightly came back....I even have duct tape all over my taillight where the water drains into the channel of the tail lights. Water somehow will reach inside and eventually causes to moisten the inner housing. It's not as bad as before but the aftermath is still prominent upon evaporation. This problem is inevitable. With all of that water running down that channel, it will always come back. This is such a headache and I'm honestly starting to have second thoughts about keeping this car... It really sucks.
So sorry to hear that. I PM'd you with some options.

Have you checked to see if the sheet metal is warped where the mounting posts go through? It was warped on my FR-S, and warped enough that the gaskets can't do their job, since the gasket adheres to the tail light housing and not the metal itself. Once the metal was flat again and the tail lights were torqued to spec, (and with the new, fully sealed gaskets of course), it didn't happen again.

Just something to check! Also, Gorilla tape (more resistant to water than standard duct tape) or a more dedicated water resistant/proof tape will hold up much longer than standard duct tape (if that's what you're using).

Thanks.
__________________
2017 VW GTI Sport Gasket Ninja.
wdninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #116
RFB
Senior Member
 
RFB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Drives: FRS
Location: Canada
Posts: 881
Thanks: 137
Thanked 397 Times in 273 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANI86 View Post
I guess this will be my only way out of it too...how does it look in terms of visual wise? I know it won't be appealing but hoping it won't be that bad.
Thank god the bulbs can be replaced without having to remove the whole entire lense...
The putty is more adhesive than tape, and will stay sealed if something flexes slightly apart.




Visually it looks like sh!t, since tree sh!t, and dust stick to the surface of the putty, but its only along the seam and is not visible until the trunk is open.
Pic shows almost 5 yrs. ago, the putty is brown now.

RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #117
tracerit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,067
Thanks: 593
Thanked 195 Times in 137 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Got my ninjagaskets in very quickly over thanksgiving weekend. There was a delay and the guy informed me right away and credited me $5 for the troubles, awesome!

On install, I noticed that my leaking came not from the side where the gasket contacts the tail light housing, but where the gasket contacts the metal body of the car. It leaked through there. You can see the dirt in the picture.

I'm thinking about reinstallling it and applying a line of the 3M weatherproof adhesive on the body of the car and then putting the tail light housing in, it'll probably be messy though. Thoughts?
Attached Images
  

Last edited by tracerit; 12-06-2016 at 09:08 PM.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #118
RFB
Senior Member
 
RFB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Drives: FRS
Location: Canada
Posts: 881
Thanks: 137
Thanked 397 Times in 273 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
Got my ninjagaskets in very quickly over thanksgiving weekend. There was a delay and the guy informed me right away and credited me $5 for the troubles, awesome!

On install, I noticed that my leaking came not from the side where the gasket contacts the tail light housing, but where the gasket contacts the metal body of the car. It leaked through there. You can see the dirt in the picture.

I'm thinking about reinstallling it and applying a line of the 3M weatherproof adhesive on the body of the car and then putting the tail light housing in, it'll probably be messy though. Thoughts?


The mess would be from excessive glue squishing out. Just enough would be invisible, but I would have a spare set of gaskets in case of re-install as the glue may destroy gaskets when removing the tail light.


HAVING SAID THAT, my gaskets looked like that when new, when it leaked, but after snow man snot on the top seam, no leaks for years without any other fix.
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #119
tracerit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,067
Thanks: 593
Thanked 195 Times in 137 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My concern with the method of putting the putty on top is that it'll redirect the water draining down to a path thats not intended. Or is it just directly over the top of the taillight?
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #120
wdninja
Senior Member
 
wdninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport
Location: Richmond, VA, USA
Posts: 287
Thanks: 59
Thanked 142 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
My concern with the method of putting the putty on top is that it'll redirect the water draining down to a path thats not intended. Or is it just directly over the top of the taillight?
Whether you use putty or tape, as long as the water is running over and off of the tail light housing (rather than down into the gap between the trunk channel and tail light housing and directly onto the gasket), then you're fine. After you've installed the tape or putty, you can test it by just pouring some water down the side of the trunk channel and seeing how the water flows.
__________________
2017 VW GTI Sport Gasket Ninja.
wdninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #121
ARTBRZ
Aloha!
 
ARTBRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: SoCal
Posts: 335
Thanks: 120
Thanked 180 Times in 109 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdninja View Post
Whether you use putty or tape, as long as the water is running over and off of the tail light housing (rather than down into the gap between the trunk channel and tail light housing and directly onto the gasket), then you're fine. After you've installed the tape or putty, you can test it by just pouring some water down the side of the trunk channel and seeing how the water flows.
Are the gaskets still available for purchase?
ARTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #122
wdninja
Senior Member
 
wdninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport
Location: Richmond, VA, USA
Posts: 287
Thanks: 59
Thanked 142 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTBRZ View Post
Are the gaskets still available for purchase?
Yes they are. PM'd you with details.
__________________
2017 VW GTI Sport Gasket Ninja.
wdninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wdninja For This Useful Post:
ARTBRZ (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 10:53 PM   #123
ARTBRZ
Aloha!
 
ARTBRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: SoCal
Posts: 335
Thanks: 120
Thanked 180 Times in 109 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdninja View Post
Yes they are. PM'd you with details.
Just bought it! Can't wait. It's been raining too often here.
ARTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ARTBRZ For This Useful Post:
wdninja (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #124
wdninja
Senior Member
 
wdninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport
Location: Richmond, VA, USA
Posts: 287
Thanks: 59
Thanked 142 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTBRZ View Post
Just bought it! Can't wait. It's been raining too often here.
Thanks! Your order will ship out tomorrow morning.
__________________
2017 VW GTI Sport Gasket Ninja.
wdninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:19 AM   #125
Jajanken86
Senior Member
 
Jajanken86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Drives: Silver FR-S
Location: Saipan ✈ Portland
Posts: 191
Thanks: 80
Thanked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I applied the ninja gasket with the 3m weather stripping on my tail lights in June and torqued them on then made the water dam on top of them like others have done. Unfortunately the sprinklers got through all that protection last night and there's a little condensation inside. I followed the YouTube guide when I did this too. Did I still do something wrong??

Sent from my iDroid
Jajanken86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #126
wdninja
Senior Member
 
wdninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport
Location: Richmond, VA, USA
Posts: 287
Thanks: 59
Thanked 142 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PM'd you
__________________
2017 VW GTI Sport Gasket Ninja.
wdninja is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
condensation, diy, gaskets, tail lights

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tail Light Condensation rbrtndrws Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 1033 04-16-2019 10:57 AM
experiencing tail light + fog light condensation? whyreeto AUSTRALIA 20 01-15-2013 12:15 AM
BRZ Donut Gasket same part as WRX STi Gasket? Zadkiel Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 0 10-06-2012 07:22 AM
tail light Sketch575 Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) 1 07-11-2012 02:32 AM
Tail light replacement? alexm Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 5 06-05-2012 04:38 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.