follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #1
Captain Curt

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Base MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Squeaking over bumps after swapping rotors/pads?

I recently replaced my rotors and pads with slotted rotors and CarboTech XP8 pads. After installation, my front passenger area makes a squeak over bumps and the entire car makes a loud squeaking sound when high reving to get up my driveway. I'm not sure if it's clutch chatter, or something else with the drive train/suspension. I should note that I did not have a dial indicator, so I wasn't able to test the new rotors for the best position on the hub. Is this possibly my issue?
Captain Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Wut?
Dial indicator? ...... All you did was rotors and pads right?
My guess, you didn't tighten down some bolts. Re torque every bolt. Double check the pad shims are holding the pads nice and snug. Check the dust shields, those could be rubbing on the rotors.

Unless you did more than just pads and rotors you have to tell us. I can't read minds at the moment so it's a guessing game till then.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Captain Curt (08-04-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #3
Captain Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Wut?
Dial indicator? ...... All you did was rotors and pads right?
Yup, all I did was replace rotors and pads. I thought at first maybe it was because I didn't have a dial indicator. From what I've heard you need to use one like this to find the least out-of-round position between the five possible locations, since the wheel hub and inner drum of the rotor may be out of round.

Quote:
My guess, you didn't tighten down some bolts. Re torque every bolt.
You hit the nail on the head. Yesterday my caliper on the front-passenger fell off after going over a bump . The bolts that attach the caliper to the caliper slide pins came out some how. Not sure if I forgot to torque them to spec, or if my torque wrench is out of calibration, but it has since been garaged. Unfortunately after re-torquing the bolts the noise issue is still there.

Quote:
Double check the pad shims are holding the pads nice and snug. Check the dust shields, those could be rubbing on the rotors.
Double checked, all good those areas.

Quote:
Unless you did more than just pads and rotors you have to tell us. I can't read minds at the moment so it's a guessing game till then.
I should note that the car has an ACT 6 puck clutch, garrett gt2867R turbo, upgraded fuel system and kw v3 coilovers. Not sure if they come in to play, but perhaps they may.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Curt View Post
Yup, all I did was replace rotors and pads. I thought at first maybe it was because I didn't have a dial indicator. From what I've heard you need to use one like this to find the least out-of-round position between the five possible locations, since the wheel hub and inner drum of the rotor may be out of round.

You hit the nail on the head. Yesterday my caliper on the front-passenger fell off after going over a bump . The bolts that attach the caliper to the caliper slide pins came out some how. Not sure if I forgot to torque them to spec, or if my torque wrench is out of calibration, but it has since been garaged. Unfortunately after re-torquing the bolts the noise issue is still there.

Unless you are driving some million dollar supercar the little bit a rotor will be out of round will never be even slightly noticeable. The manufacturing specs on rotors is measured in decimals of mils (1/1000 of an inch) so any deviation is way too small to be noticed. Anybody that says you need a gauge on a street car is a pretentious goof.

Signed,
A guy who works where 5 million rotors a year are made.

If the bolts cam out not only were they not torqued they were not even tightened. Go back over everything and check again. Or better yet take it to a shop and have them check it over. A caliper falling off while driving is not a small matter.
Captain Curt (08-04-2016), strat61caster (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 09:16 PM   #5
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Right on, well you if your caliper fell out then things are not tight enough. I say give your torque wrench an extra 10-15lbs.

Ah coilovers, yeah common problems are sway bar endlinks coming loose or the sway bars themselves. Again all due to loose bolts/nuts.

The loud squeaking at high revs, could be a slipping belt.

If possible a video or audio clip would help out.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Captain Curt (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
Captain Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Unless you are driving some million dollar supercar the little bit a rotor will be out of round will never be even slightly noticeable. The manufacturing specs on rotors is measured in decimals of mils (1/1000 of an inch) so any deviation is way too small to be noticed. Anybody that says you need a gauge on a street car is a pretentious goof.

Signed,
A guy who works where 5 million rotors a year are made.

If the bolts cam out not only were they not torqued they were not even tightened. Go back over everything and check again. Or better yet take it to a shop and have them check it over. A caliper falling off while driving is not a small matter.
Good to know it makes no difference, that's one thing I can eliminate. As for going back over everything, the car has been garaged and I am pulling all four wheels off and double checking everything. Unfortunately when I did the work I had a distracting family member berating me and I must have forgotten to torque down the caliper bolts on that wheel. I hand tightened all four wheels then went back with the torque wrench and must have forgotten this one. After re-torquing everything I'm taking it to the shop to have it double-checked. I'm still new to this and having a professional take a look at my work is something I should have done from the start.

Last edited by Captain Curt; 08-04-2016 at 10:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Curt For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-05-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #7
Captain Curt

Quote:
Right on, well you if your caliper fell out then things are not tight enough. I say give your torque wrench an extra 10-15lbs
Definitely going to over torque everything and have the wrench calibrated. I honestly think that what happened is I done goofed and forgot to do the final torquing on those two bolts.

Quote:
Ah coilovers, yeah common problems are sway bar endlinks coming loose or the sway bars themselves. Again all due to loose bolts/nuts.
I'll take a look when I pull the wheels off again, but when I was down there everything looked good.

Quote:
The loud squeaking at high revs, could be a slipping belt.
I think it's not a belt-related issue since the sound is more like two pieces of metal rubbing. That's the best way that I can describe it. I checked all the belts and everything is good.

Quote:
If possible a video or audio clip would help out.
I'll try and get a video this weekend when I have time to diagnose, it may be hard since the car is extremely loud but it's worth a shot.