follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
86z

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Upgrading the Speedometer

Hey Guys, first time posting, so excuse me, If this is not the right forum.

I have purchased a 2012 Base model 86, whilst it's has been a good experience so far, I have come across a few nuisances, one of them being the speedometer. As you may already know, the instrument cluster on the base model doesn't not have a digital display (the one that displays how fast you are currently going in KM/H). This tends to be a somewhat problematic in some situations. Now I wonder, if it is possible to buy one from the GTS model and install it into the base model.

Any sort of help, would be appreciated greatly.
86z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:46 PM   #2
chamourian

Drives: White Aozora BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
One thing to be mindful of would be that odo information is stored on the gauge, so swapping would be problematic without visiting the dealership or something.

Can't comment on the compatibility.
chamourian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:47 AM   #3
Vivos71

Drives: R.S. 2.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
You would also need to get the dealership to train up your key to the new gauge, as that info is stored in there as well. It has been done before, but I forget who's build thread it was on.
Vivos71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:49 AM   #4
86z

Would you please help me find the build thread ? Would help a lot
Old 07-07-2016, 05:05 AM   #5
Boomerang

Drives: 2015 Toyota GT86 MT UEL E85 RSR CWP
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86z View Post

I have purchased a 2012 Base model 86, whilst it's has been a good experience so far, I have come across a few nuisances, one of them being the speedometer. As you may already know, the instrument cluster on the base model doesn't not have a digital display (the one that displays how fast you are currently going in KM/H). This tends to be a somewhat problematic in some situations. Now I wonder, if it is possible to buy one from the GTS model and install it into the base model.

Fyi, the digital display is present on newer AUS GT(base) models, not just GTS as you mention in your post.
Hope this helps
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:17 AM   #6
Northwest86

Drives: Velocity Orange 86 GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Swapping clusters has proven to be possible but an absoluste pain in the ass. The best option is any OBD2 Gauge that reads Speed. Personally I use a Plex Boost controller which does 90% of my display needs in terms of speed, temps etc. There are a number of gauges though that will rear from the OBD2 port though. Keep in mind though that the OBD2 speed will be 100% accurate (assuming the correct tyres) so when it reads 100km/hr the analog one will read 105-110.
Northwest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Northwest86 For This Useful Post:
why? (10-08-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 07:30 AM   #7
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@86z one of out italian brothers has swaped dash cluster @Trap63

here is proceedure, you will loose your odometer reading as its storred in dash cluster.

follow proceedure carefully to sync new dash to security system else car wont start. dash is part of security set.

also get a dash from same year car else you may have issues as well if your 2012 then a 2012 or 2013 will work but their was change in early 2014 i think that may cause you issues and you might need to reflash ecu to get dash from a 2014 car to work in earlier car without throwing a cel code U0155.

else as above post says get a cheap blutooth adapter and android torque app or one of those cheap obd hud displays

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1307

steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #8
86z

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
@86z one of out italian brothers has swaped dash cluster @Trap63

here is proceedure, you will loose your odometer reading as its storred in dash cluster.

follow proceedure carefully to sync new dash to security system else car wont start. dash is part of security set.

also get a dash from same year car else you may have issues as well if your 2012 then a 2012 or 2013 will work but their was change in early 2014 i think that may cause you issues and you might need to reflash ecu to get dash from a 2014 car to work in earlier car without throwing a cel code U0155.

else as above post says get a cheap blutooth adapter and android torque app or one of those cheap obd hud displays

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1307

Does the instrument cluster that you purchase has to be only from a manual GTS ? or will purchasing an Auto one make any difference ?
Old 07-08-2016, 04:08 PM   #9
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Does the instrument cluster that you purchase has to be only from a manual GTS ? or will purchasing an Auto one make any difference ?

not sure, id go for the same type unless you can confirm.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:50 PM   #10
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:

@Tech has swapped one of his 86s to the digital cluster.

He may have some advice.

Last edited by nzer; 07-08-2016 at 09:11 PM.
nzer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nzer For This Useful Post:
Tech (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #11
Tech

Drives: White MT GT86 with TRD extras
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
@Tech has swapped Ne of his 86s to the digital cluster.

He may have some advice.

The instrument cluster from base to GT is a direct plug in from an assembly point of view. The comments on here so far are mostly correct. The odometer reading is stored in the cluster, not anywhere else. I had to get my original mileage programmed into the new cluster. Toyota (in NZ) don't do this, but there sent it away to have it put in.

Once you connect your new cluster, the car won't start because it won't recognise your keys. The immobiliser circuitry has to be initiated and pared up with your keys.

IN MY CASE

All I did was get the mileage put in the new cluster before taking out your old one. Once done, remove what is required around your old cluster including the couple of screws holding it in and drive to a Toyota dealer. Ask them to unplug the old speedo and plug in the new one (remember you have done all the dismantling work)

They will then initiate your new speedo with your keys. A couple of minutes with a laptop and then you drive home with your new speedo and put all the screws etc back in. This all saves a few $$, or you could get them to fit and initialise it for you and pay the $$

They didn't charge me to initialise it, only to get the odometer reading put it. It doesn't have to be to the exact "k", but be honest about it, don't think this is a chance to clock it back a few thou..

There is some info here on my 86 build and where the speedo swap is mentioned. Hope this helps.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99536
Old 07-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #12
86z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
The instrument cluster from base to GT is a direct plug in from an assembly point of view. The comments on here so far are mostly correct. The odometer reading is stored in the cluster, not anywhere else. I had to get my original mileage programmed into the new cluster. Toyota (in NZ) don't do this, but there sent it away to have it put in.

Once you connect your new cluster, the car won't start because it won't recognise your keys. The immobiliser circuitry has to be initiated and pared up with your keys.

IN MY CASE

All I did was get the mileage put in the new cluster before taking out your old one. Once done, remove what is required around your old cluster including the couple of screws holding it in and drive to a Toyota dealer. Ask them to unplug the old speedo and plug in the new one (remember you have done all the dismantling work)

They will then initiate your new speedo with your keys. A couple of minutes with a laptop and then you drive home with your new speedo and put all the screws etc back in. This all saves a few $$, or you could get them to fit and initialise it for you and pay the $$

They didn't charge me to initialise it, only to get the odometer reading put it. It doesn't have to be to the exact "k", but be honest about it, don't think this is a chance to clock it back a few thou..

There is some info here on my 86 build and where the speedo swap is mentioned. Hope this helps.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99536

Thank you so much, you sir are a legend
Old 07-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #13
Tech

Drives: White MT GT86 with TRD extras
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Your Welcome.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #14
86z

I have found 2015 Toyota 86 TRD Black line cluster

Would you recommend installing it, or should i go for the same year model ? (2012)

Tags
upgrading the cluster 86