follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 04-17-2018, 03:07 AM   #127
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I don't want to be an a**** too. Why would I put a picture of my car with the same issue? I don't claim to be the Mr. perfect or to know everything. I am also trying things and doing tests.

My tire is an Advan AD08r which is known to have a stiff sidewall, but it looks that still not stiff enough. I am considering now changing to the new Advan A052 and same size. The one tire weights 8.5 kg and the latter 9.7 kg. Why to have such a big difference in weight if not of internal structure differences?
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Tristor (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 08:30 AM   #128
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Yes but more mechanical grip doesn't make you ALWAYS faster given that power is the same. This was the point of the original post. If it was so simple like swapping tires and wheels, then every manufacturer would provide their models with bigger combinations. The original comparison was of a much more expensive trim level with many changes but not on the engine power and a much cheaper trim level with not so many additions (the ra racing trim in Japan). The latter car outperformed the other one for a reason. But as the previous post some will argue that "the picture angle is not the same". Lol. Arguing just for the sake of arguing ...
That in itself is misleading. More mechanical grip will always make you faster but the drag associated with wider tires on a particular vehicle will force a point of diminishing returns. Hence the need for clarifications, facts and removing variables.

The Tire deformation that you’re trying to illustrate will vary from car to car and tire to tire and wheel size to wheel size. Load, pressure and tire construction will all effect your contact patch. I will say that the deformation you’re getting will be drastically reduced by going to a larger diameter wheel with the same tire. Not to mention you would receive sharper feedback and increased roll stiffness.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
Tristor (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #129
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
That in itself is misleading. More mechanical grip will always make you faster but the drag associated with wider tires on a particular vehicle will force a point of diminishing returns. Hence the need for clarifications, facts and removing variables.

The Tire deformation that you’re trying to illustrate will vary from car to car and tire to tire and wheel size to wheel size. Load, pressure and tire construction will all effect your contact patch. I will say that the deformation you’re getting will be drastically reduced by going to a larger diameter wheel with the same tire. Not to mention you would receive sharper feedback and increased roll stiffness.
That is 100% false. More mechanical grip will not always make you faster, it can easily make you slower. If more mechanical grip always made you faster everyone who raced would try to cram 300+ width tires onto their cars.

Everything is a compromise. Everything you change on your car affects everything else. The entire point of this thread is to make people actually think about what they are doing, and not automatically decide to cram the absolute largest wheels and tires they can afford on this car. Why is that so hard to figure out?
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (04-17-2018), Tristor (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #130
RayRay88

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
That is 100% false. More mechanical grip will not always make you faster, it can easily make you slower. If more mechanical grip always made you faster everyone who raced would try to cram 300+ width tires onto their cars.

Everything is a compromise. Everything you change on your car affects everything else. The entire point of this thread is to make people actually think about what they are doing, and not automatically decide to cram the absolute largest wheels and tires they can afford on this car. Why is that so hard to figure out?
How is that 100% false?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #131
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
That is 100% false.

I think he qualified that statement correctly with the following: "but the drag associated with wider tires on a particular vehicle will force a point of diminishing returns." He is correct that increased mechanical grip makes you faster until the penalties associated with it (drag, weight, etc) prevent any further improvement.
Tristor (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #132
RayRay88

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
I think he qualified that statement correctly with the following: "but the drag associated with wider tires on a particular vehicle will force a point of diminishing returns." He is correct that increased mechanical grip makes you faster until the penalties associated with it (drag, weight, etc) prevent any further improvement.
I wish I knew how to “give thanks”. So thank you.

This thread is full of general blanket statements without context and what ever little truth each post contains is lost in a sea of misconceptions, variables and anecdotal evidence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
Tristor (04-17-2018), venturaII (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #133
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
I wish I knew how to “give thanks”. So thank you.

This thread is full of general blanket statements without context and what ever little truth each post contains is lost in a sea of misconceptions, variables and anecdotal evidence.
Because a lot of people think they know more than they do. Send a kid to college for engineering and watch their ego inflate. I bet you half of the people in this thread don't know what diminishing returns is.. inb4 google definitions get posted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Teseo (04-17-2018), Tristor (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #134
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
But i want to hear "bruh, that's meatty!"
The only reasson i keep away from wider tires is the price
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #135
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
But i want to hear "bruh, that's meatty!"
The only reasson i keep away from wider tires is the price
Meh, you can fit some decently priced tires on 8" wheels. Stock size for example fits just fine imo.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #136
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Meh, you can fit some decently priced tires on 8" wheels. Stock size for example fits just fine imo.
Which you reccomend? Enlight me pls
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #137
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Just get Firestone Indy 500s they arent too expensive even in a 245/40/17 tire size.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vital For This Useful Post:
Teseo (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #138
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
I can't recommend any because I don't have experience with anything but the stock rubber and winters.

Price wise, based on where you live I'm sure it would be different, but some sets of Michelin tires appear to be affordable. Just looking around Pilot Sport A/S 3 seem to be decent priced, but again, I'm not sure on their performance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Teseo (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #139
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

Everything is as compromise. Everything you change on your car affects everything else. The entire point of this thread is to make people actually think about what they are doing, and not automatically decide to cram the absolute largest wheels and tires they can afford on this car. Why is that so hard to figure out?
I think it's at least as inaccurate to say that a 300 width would actually give more mechanical grip to begin with.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:39 PM   #140
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
In todays topic: a bunch of people who have no idea how grip works and some who do (at least partially) but get flamed for trying to share the knowledge.

Grab your popcorn, and start from page 9.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
JazzleSAURUS (04-18-2018), Tristor (04-17-2018)