follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-30-2014, 11:45 PM   #869
jebuwh
Village Idiot

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine Manual
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Perfect. I'm going to run it almost completely out of gas and fill it up out of a drum. So it should be like e82 or e83 haha.
jebuwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:12 AM   #870
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzan View Post
I have an Automatic and running a stock engine with no current plans to modify. Will I still benefit from OFT?

-Z
Yes it will improve a stock car

see thread here

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61463

Horsepower gains on stock car are not big but drivability is improved, especially low/midrange.

Gives option to run E85 on stock car and access to "free" tunes if you ever add bolt on bits at a later stage.

Open flash Tunes are based on later ROM which have fixes for idle, transient knock problems which some dealers are reluctant to reflash for you for some reason
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #871
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Insano View Post
Yes. Reference stg1 91-93 oct map dyno results.
You make it sound easy. There are so many threads mentioning this product that finding a particular dyno chart is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.
I ordered one (ships today ) on quotes alone as I don't think I ever found the dyno for an otherwise stock vehicle.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #872
86viper

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
You make it sound easy. There are so many threads mentioning this product that finding a particular dyno chart is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.
I ordered one (ships today ) on quotes alone as I don't think I ever found the dyno for an otherwise stock vehicle.
We had a bunch of stock cars run on our dyno day (low reading)

Stock cars Ran an average of 105rwkw but varied between 102 to 110rwkw depending on how they were run in and number of km. (older cars and cars run harder made more power)

The e85 cars with boltons were in the 125 to 135rwkw range, the stage 1 pump oft's were around 115 to 118rwkw.

For comparison a supercharged car made 138rwkw, turbo cars made between 150rwkw and 230rwkw.
86viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:29 AM   #873
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86viper View Post
We had a bunch of stock cars run on our dyno day (low reading)

Stock cars Ran an average of 105rwkw but varied between 102 to 110rwkw depending on how they were run in and number of km. (older cars and cars run harder made more power)

The e85 cars with boltons were in the 125 to 135rwkw range, the stage 1 pump oft's were around 115 to 118rwkw.

For comparison a supercharged car made 138rwkw, turbo cars made between 150rwkw and 230rwkw.
These cars seem to like being run hard.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #874
zinzan

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2014 Limited WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Yes it will improve a stock car

see thread here

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61463

Horsepower gains on stock car are not big but drivability is improved, especially low/midrange.

Gives option to run E85 on stock car and access to "free" tunes if you ever add bolt on bits at a later stage.

Open flash Tunes are based on later ROM which have fixes for idle, transient knock problems which some dealers are reluctant to reflash for you for some reason

Still a good buy on an 93 Octane Daily Driver (stock AT)? No big complaints about current driveability, but would be happy to see/feel a smoother idle/ride, smaller torque dip, and maybe a little more power when needed.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #875
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzan View Post
Still a good buy on an 93 Octane Daily Driver (stock AT)? No big complaints about current driveability, but would be happy to see/feel a smoother idle/ride, smaller torque dip, and maybe a little more power when needed.
As someone who was happy with the power stock, I was impressed with the stage 1 tune and the extra refinement it offered.

Edit: I will go so far as to say this, with the Stage1 tune, the FA20 probably could have made the Wards 10 best list.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:33 AM   #876
86viper

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
These cars seem to like being run hard.
No doubt, how it effects the engines long term is yet to be known though, but it does seem that the harder you run it, the more power they make.

As much as 10% difference in power on totally stock cars! That's well above natural variance
86viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:34 AM   #877
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86viper View Post
No doubt, how it effects the engines long term is yet to be known though, but it does seem that the harder you run it, the more power they make.

As much as 10% difference in power on totally stock cars! That's well above natural variance
I think it has to do with getting the rings to seat well and make good compression. I can't see it being a bad thing at all.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:28 AM   #878
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
I think it has to do with getting the rings to seat well and make good compression. I can't see it being a bad thing at all.
I don't believe in thrashing a car during the first few hundred miles, but you shouldn't baby it either: you have to stretch the legs out once in a while.
I sometimes wonder if there isn't a break in timer on this car, like Dodge has on some of its vehicles where the ECU has a "limited power" mode for the first few thousand miles until the car is properly broken in by their standards. I know it sounds nuts, but I haunted a Challenger forum because I was considering going big car before I saw the FR-S and the regulars there swear that it's true.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:03 PM   #879
shif7i7down
Erected Member

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I do find it annoying that i have to drive around to have the ecu relearn after every oft flash, it makes it very slow to custom tune with the oft, unless there's some special way to reflash without relearn time that I didn't know about.

If anyone knows how to reflash without relearn time please let me know..
shif7i7down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #880
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shif7i7down View Post
I do find it annoying that i have to drive around to have the ecu relearn after every oft flash, it makes it very slow to custom tune with the oft, unless there's some special way to reflash without relearn time that I didn't know about.

what do you mean by 're-learn time'? the IAM rising from initial to one? if that's the case, just set the initial advance multiplier to 1. there is no other 'learning' that needs to take place to my knowledge.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:18 PM   #881
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
There is a small period where the ECU adjusts to the throttle pedal positions, but this doesn't affect WOT power, it just gives a bit of a softer throttle response until it has sorted out the learning.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:20 PM   #882
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shif7i7down View Post

IAM and cam angle sensors are the only "learning" that need to be done. Unless you happened to leave LTFT on at WOT in which you can disable. Cam angle is typically done within seconds and can be verified by blipping the throttle a few times and viewing VVT angle and confirming it is going to double digits.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#lolwut, divinecomedy, dopeandcashcabinet, free shiv now, goddamitimissedit, golden cage, i missed the show, looks good, missed the fun, omgbbq, shiv 2016, thefatandthefurriest