follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #29
nunonuna

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I just tried to install the EasyGo system on my FRS, but ended up problem that the door lock doesn't work. I ordered scytek inverter just last night and it is on the way so I left door handle not to be installed.

Is it because of the door handle?
I think I saw you had similar problem when you are installing it.
so if when I receive scytek inverter and tap it like you did, will it fix the problem??
nunonuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #30
Chaetagnath

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunonuna View Post
I just tried to install the EasyGo system on my FRS, but ended up problem that the door lock doesn't work. I ordered scytek inverter just last night and it is on the way so I left door handle not to be installed.

Is it because of the door handle?
I think I saw you had similar problem when you are installing it.
so if when I receive scytek inverter and tap it like you did, will it fix the problem??

I sent you a PM, but I'll post the answer here too in case anyone has the same question:

The easy go system sends out a negative trigger to control the locks , which will do nothing. The scytek inverter turns the negative pulse into a positive pulse which will allow the easygo box to control the locks.

If your door locks aren't working at all (using your OEM key buttons or the power lock button on the door), then that is another issue.

As for the door handle, I don't think it is necessary to the function of the easygo system, although I never tried the locks when the handle wasn't hooked up. However, it is necessary to programming additional keys for the car. There is some way of with the door open, and a new key fob, pressing the button on the handle a bunch of times until the horn chirps or something (its in the instructions). I am pretty sure though that the key fobs that come with the kit are pre-programmed to work out of the box though. The door handle installation is a total pain, but, it is super nice to be able to simply walk up to the car with the key in my pocket, unlock it using the handle, get in, and turn the car on without ever having to pull the key fob out.

One other question, does the trunk release work? If so the key fobs are functioning normally and already programmed.
Chaetagnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #31
Chaetagnath

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsustainable View Post
So I got the door handle and the remote lock/unlock to work fine. But now my remote start is causing problems. It starts the car but then shuts down like 3 seconds later and tries to restart again 2 more times but doesn't start.
I have an update on this as well. According to the easygo people, there was an issue with the firmware of the control brain which has since been fixed. They are sending me a new brain and key fobs which should fix the problem. So, if you are having the same problem with the remote start, contact their customer support and they should be able to help you.

Also, a quick tip once the install is finished. I noticed that you need to unlock the car with your OEM key just prior to using the easy go key fobs. If you lock it with the OEM key button, then try using the easy go key fob, it gets a little confused doesn't unlock.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #32
nunonuna

Garage
Thanks a lot for your information and help.
First of all, I think I should wait until the inverter comes and see if it fixes the problem. If the same problem shows after, I will contact EasyGo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaetagnath View Post
I have an update on this as well. According to the easygo people, there was an issue with the firmware of the control brain which has since been fixed. They are sending me a new brain and key fobs which should fix the problem. So, if you are having the same problem with the remote start, contact their customer support and they should be able to help you.

Also, a quick tip once the install is finished. I noticed that you need to unlock the car with your OEM key just prior to using the easy go key fobs. If you lock it with the OEM key button, then try using the easy go key fob, it gets a little confused doesn't unlock.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #33
nunonuna

Garage
It's the key fob not the OEM key button nor power lock.
and trunk release is not working either.
I triple checked wiring based on your DIY and everything is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaetagnath View Post
I sent you a PM, but I'll post the answer here too in case anyone has the same question:

The easy go system sends out a negative trigger to control the locks , which will do nothing. The scytek inverter turns the negative pulse into a positive pulse which will allow the easygo box to control the locks.

If your door locks aren't working at all (using your OEM key buttons or the power lock button on the door), then that is another issue.

As for the door handle, I don't think it is necessary to the function of the easygo system, although I never tried the locks when the handle wasn't hooked up. However, it is necessary to programming additional keys for the car. There is some way of with the door open, and a new key fob, pressing the button on the handle a bunch of times until the horn chirps or something (its in the instructions). I am pretty sure though that the key fobs that come with the kit are pre-programmed to work out of the box though. The door handle installation is a total pain, but, it is super nice to be able to simply walk up to the car with the key in my pocket, unlock it using the handle, get in, and turn the car on without ever having to pull the key fob out.

One other question, does the trunk release work? If so the key fobs are functioning normally and already programmed.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #34
Hot Toys

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
omg that is alot of work....but very good write up...nice job man
Hot Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:25 AM   #35
Unsustainable

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Quote:
It's the key fob not the OEM key button nor power lock.
and trunk release is not working either.
I triple checked wiring based on your DIY and everything is correct.
I can confirm that the remote start problem is due to a firmware issue. I contacted easygo and I got a new control unit with the updated firmware. I plugged everything back in, and works flawlessly.

The trunk release is also because of the firmware issue by the way. Once you get the control unit back, provided you tapped all the wires correctly, everything should work fine.
Unsustainable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unsustainable For This Useful Post:
Chaetagnath (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #36
nunonuna

Garage
Thanks for both of your help. I appreciate much~

And after you received new brain unit, does remote start work also? Or do you still need to bypass the cluth?

I just came up with another idea for push start wiring.
My frs is MT so I need to put both feet on clutch and brake in order to start the car with push button, but I think it may be better to find e-brake wire and tap it Instead of tapping wire for the brake. If that works, I only need to press clutch pedal.
Do you think it would work?

Quote:
I can confirm that the remote start problem is due to a firmware issue. I contacted easygo and I got a new control unit with the updated firmware. I plugged everything back in, and works flawlessly.

The trunk release is also because of the firmware issue by the way. Once you get the control unit back, provided you tapped all the wires correctly, everything should work fine.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #37
nunonuna

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Toys View Post
omg that is alot of work....but very good write up...nice job man
Well, actually, it is not as much as work as you think it is now. Once you try your own, you actually eventually know what you are doing because "Chaetagnath" did a very good diy instruction. Just follow the steps of what this awesome DIY. Except the door handle part tho lol.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #38
Fett4Real
AKA Mugen Dom

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2007 FJ Voodoo Blue
So you lose out on the steering wheel lock with this...what does the FR-S 10 Series and BRZ Limited have for that is there a servo? Or no lock?
Fett4Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #39
Unsustainable

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Quote:
Thanks for both of your help. I appreciate much~

And after you received new brain unit, does remote start work also? Or do you still need to bypass the cluth?

I just came up with another idea for push start wiring.
My frs is MT so I need to put both feet on clutch and brake in order to start the car with push button, but I think it may be better to find e-brake wire and tap it Instead of tapping wire for the brake. If that works, I only need to press clutch pedal.
Do you think it would work?
My FRS is AT so unfortunately i can't say much on the clutch bypass besides that i know it isn't that hard to do it from what I've read. You might want to email easygo with that question. I'm pretty sure they have a solution for it and they'll get back to you quickly.

I'm not sure if tapping the parking brake will work but then you'll lose the functionality of the push start button if you want the car to go into acc or on. On mine, if i don't press on the brake, the car goes into ACC followed by on and then off. If i hold down the brake, then it starts.

Also, I'm not sure if the easygo brain can detect if your car is in neutral or not when remote starting (since before this wasn't a problem since you had to hold the clutch). Make sure you're not in gear when you remote start for obvious dangerous reasons lol.
Unsustainable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #40
nunonuna

Garage
Quote:
My FRS is AT so unfortunately i can't say much on the clutch bypass besides that i know it isn't that hard to do it from what I've read. You might want to email easygo with that question. I'm pretty sure they have a solution for it and they'll get back to you quickly.

I'm not sure if tapping the parking brake will work but then you'll lose the functionality of the push start button if you want the car to go into acc or on. On mine, if i don't press on the brake, the car goes into ACC followed by on and then off. If i hold down the brake, then it starts.

Also, I'm not sure if the easygo brain can detect if your car is in neutral or not when remote starting (since before this wasn't a problem since you had to hold the clutch). Make sure you're not in gear when you remote start for obvious dangerous reasons lol.
Ah~ good point. Yeah I just forgot about acc or on. So I may have to find out how to bypass clutch or if I can tap the easygo wire to clutch switch thingy.

Yeah I always put my gear in neutral when I park. It is just my personal habit for over 7 years. So it will never happen for me to leave out car with gear engaged.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #41
Chaetagnath

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett4Real View Post
So you lose out on the steering wheel lock with this...what does the FR-S 10 Series and BRZ Limited have for that is there a servo? Or no lock?
I've wondered the exact same thing.

Edit: It looks like there is a motor which controls the steering wheel lock in BRZ limiteds. From the manual:

"Steering lock
After turning the push-button ignition switch off and opening and closing the
doors, the steering wheel will be locked due to the steering lock function.
Operating the push-button ignition switch again automatically cancels the
steering lock.

When the steering lock cannot be released
■Steering lock motor overheating prevention
To prevent the steering lock motor from overheating, the motor may be suspended
if the engine is turned on and off repeatedly in a short period of time.
In this case, refrain from operating the engine. After about 10 seconds, the
steering lock motor will resume functioning.

Last edited by Chaetagnath; 07-09-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #42
nunonuna

Garage
I tried 3rd option for removing steering wheel lock & it is actually much easier then I thought. After removing spring and top metal piece, I just pushed lock piece all the way in then grab it hard as I could by using needle nose plier and pulled it hard then it came right out.
I wish I could take some picture or video while I was doing it, but the space is so tight.

Now, I just need to work on clutch switch for remote start.

Tags
easygo, remote start