follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2017, 08:10 PM   #71
skye67

Drives: 2013 black AT, OFT, 4.65
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tuning does give the car more spunk. But by far regearing the rearend really made a big difference in spunk factor...
Old 01-14-2017, 09:54 PM   #72
Desyor

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Go for it man! I drive an auto and I've modded mine out I have some stuff coming in the mail as we speak! Screw anyone that gives you crap for what transmission you can pretty much do the same to both cars so have fun with it! Go RB if it makes you happy or look at varus kit they both look sexy! No matter what have fun with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carbinebbq (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #73
Carbinebbq

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desyor View Post
Go for it man! I drive an auto and I've modded mine out I have some stuff coming in the mail as we speak! Screw anyone that gives you crap for what transmission you can pretty much do the same to both cars so have fun with it! Go RB if it makes you happy or look at varus kit they both look sexy! No matter what have fun with it!

Amen to that. Got plans for my AT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Carbinebbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:22 PM   #74
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye67 View Post
Tuning does give the car more spunk. But by far regearing the rearend really made a big difference in spunk factor...
What ratio did you go to? I went to 4.88
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:18 PM   #75
Desyor

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
What ratio did you go to? I went to 4.88

How much did it cost to regear?

Old 01-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #76
2ZZW30

Drives: 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
I've probably driven a dozen FRS/BRZ cars at this point with mods. A/T cars and M/T cars. There is no loss in the fun factor. We aren't talking a slushbox from the 90s here. Things have come a LONG way.

Not sure how many on this forum were even driving in the 80s or 90s but that was a time when an A/T sucked and you had a reason to tease a guy who drove a project car with an A/T.
2ZZW30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #77
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:

The gear set from Robert Weir was less than $300, and about $400 to have them installed if I remember right.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #78
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I didn't bother reading everything but to answer OP, yes, it's worth it. The auto isn't hardly any different than the manual. Gearing is a tiny bit different but modern automatic transmissions don't suck like they used to. You can do nearly every mod to an auto that you can to a manual (excluding short shifters and stuff like that). All parts are universal except some overpipes or frontpipes, and maybe driveshafts because the transmission is physically a different size. If the description doesn't state "manual only" you should be fine. Enjoy!
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
snidd111 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 01:54 AM   #79
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
The gear set from Robert Weir was less than $300, and about $400 to have them installed if I remember right.
Quote:

When I was looking into 4.88s my plan was to go to spencer fabrication as there was no one near me who could do it for the right price. It's around $1300 all said in done, and you swap out your diff for theirs and send yours back. Alternatively if you don't want any down time, they'll send you one for like $1700 with a $700 core charge. Well worth it in my opinion for more kick.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:26 AM   #80
snidd111

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey I have (but selling) the AT and had it tuned. I had headers, an exhaust kit, intake, and cooling mods to support it. The tune got me an extra 25whp, but that honestly wasn't too noticeable. People are right when they say that the gearing can take away from that since you don't have much control over it there. What was more important is that the tune put the engine into much better operating specs for things like the AFR.

If I were to do it all again, I probably wouldn't do the headers (JDL EL catted). When I had them on, they caused the gearing to get confused if I accelerated in a way that let the revs sit around 2500 RPM. It would try and drop a gear and jump back up over and over. With the headers off, the issue wasn't there. And when watching the numbers, there were no oddities other than it trying to shift like that.

So yea, tuning is a good idea if you mod the exhaust and intake a lot (especially if you go with 3" pipes). But if you just have an intake of equal diameter and/or an axle back style exhaust that's still 2.5", you don't need a tune. The car will do just fine on its own and feel about the same.

For reference, I did track the car both with and without the tune. Running without the tune and mods felt sluggish. But as a DD you wouldn't really notice a thing.

Now if you do want to get more out of your AT, I'd recommend reading the posts on here for the valve packs that SSP Performance advertises. It seems the reviews were hit and miss depending on what people were looking for. Wish I could drive one and feel the difference. Or look at the final gear swap for the differential. People with ATs reported better feel as well when they gave it gas, but that it still drove fairly normally if they didn't.

Should also mention I'm not selling it because it's an AT. Just consolidating life at the time and I couldn't do much to the car anymore without going FI or spending thousands. Got an old truck that can tow a track car. Now it's just time to bide my time and money
snidd111 is offline   Reply With Quote