follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #15
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
my current prevailing theory is a sort of reverse darwinism.

every time i see a set, my internal monologue of the cars say "i'm so cool and have so much extra money and time, i can afford to risk getting involved in an accident that will consume massive amounts of all of those resources, and it won't matter"

i on the other hand are short on money, time, and hate dealing with the general public only slightly less than i hate dealing with insurance agencies, so i keep my brake lights as bright as possible to avoid such a scenario.
I often drive with my lights on the first setting so the tail lights are lit. I think it makes a difference even during the day. I've been doing this for over 20 years.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #16
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I often drive with my lights on the first setting so the tail lights are lit. I think it makes a difference even during the day. I've been doing this for over 20 years.
i agree, and do the same. but the nhtsa says it has almost no discernible difference.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/811029
Old 12-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #17
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Almost means it might help once. If that once is the time it needed to help I win. I'll keep the running lights on
Old 12-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #18
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
See and be seen; stay alive.

I'd smoke toys and model cars' lights, not the thing that I would ride in traffic.
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to korhun For This Useful Post:
HaXx (12-25-2019), humfrz (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 10:18 PM   #19
daskaman

Drives: Burz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Not to personally jab to OP, but in general... Imagine being stupid enough to purposefully make your brake lights less visible in almost any braking scenario.

The legal implication is no joke, imagine defending yourself to your own insurance when they find out that you purposefully decreasing the illumination output of brake lights. Good luck to any accidental/frivolous injury claim against you.

Most tinted lenses decrease output from what I've seen personally, but a few thought out retrofits I think achieve the blackout/brake lights dual task.

/rant
daskaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daskaman For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-26-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 11:05 PM   #20
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
ok, so here's the legal response when it comes to lighting laws. on my last car, i did a lot of customization of the lighting, because it combined my electronic and automotive hobbies. in the process, i started reading and learning where US laws are currently on any and all vehicle lighting.

per Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, Section 108, which is entirely about vehicle lighting, all housings are self-certified as a completed, complaint assembly by the manufacturer of the assembly, including the bulbs specified by that manufacturer. any alteration whatsoever of a housing once it has left the factory makes the entire housing illegal. period. that means, any films/coatings/sprays(it makes no difference if the coating is clear or opaque), or any bulb deviation from what is stamped into the bottom of the housing will make the entire assembly unfit for use on american roads. the law in written in such a way that a small scratch could be considered 'damage', as the lighting assemblies are considered precision assemblies, and that small scratch can affect the housings light output. show me one car over 10 years old without a few scratches in any of the lighting assemblies...

i did a lot of research into attempting to get my modified tail light assemblies certified. the short answer is that the law is written specifically to only allow manufacturers to offer any automotive lighting solutions. there are no paths to independent self-certification.. aftermarket housings is a magical grey area, as they're both manufacturers, and they don't ask permission to put the stamps on them. so the housings while having the appropriate stampings on them, the majority of the time rarely comply the requisite laws on output or intensity difference between functions.

the only legally correct answer per FMVSS 108 to anyone that wants to run a different bulb/housing is that they need to replace the entire vehicle with something that contains that lighting assembly from the manufacturer.

this is the state of automotive lighting in america, where the only winners are corporations who have bent the country to their will.

knowing this, it means that we as consumers are all losers. we are free to install any and all bulb styles and aftermarket housings as we want on our cars, but must know that the risk is that at any point throughout the judicial system, the cards are stacked against such moves, and we must rely on being a small problem in a large system where many of the law enforcers are oblivious to the applicable laws in a very small subset of a specific category.

all of this is to say that if an officer of the law were to take the time to familiarize themselves with the current federal laws (i'm not even getting into state laws, or local ordinances) on vehicle lighting that all states by law must uphold, there are very few cars that are legal anywhere if they're older than 5 years, which interestingly encourages everyone to replace their vehicles more often...

which is why i still modify my vehicle lighting. if i'm fvcked every which way i look into it, i'm going to take my time and enjoy it in some way.
daskaman (12-26-2019), humfrz (12-26-2019), JesseG (12-30-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 11:12 AM   #21
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
WHY do some of you want to smoke (darken) the tail lights on a car?
To have the coolest car in the trailer park.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
daskaman (12-26-2019), gravitylover (12-26-2019), humfrz (12-26-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 02:32 AM   #22
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
To have the coolest car in the trailer park.
Welp, I reckon that post should end this thread -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (12-27-2019), gravitylover (12-27-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 02:39 AM   #23
iconic

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS Auto
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hell, I don't know.

But I do have a question for the group.

WHY do some of you want to smoke (darken) the tail lights on a car?

Dang, back in the day we had these dinky little 6 Volt taillights, that could hardly be seen. Then, we went with bigger, brighter and more tail/stop lights that were more visible, thus safer.

Now, some want to go back to less visible tail/stop lights.

WHY?

OK, smokem up, but don't bitch when some old man, on a rainy night, with bad eyesight, and next to no night vision and trying to remember why he is going to where he is going - slams into the back of your car cause he didn't see it.

humfrz
These taillights actually increase the width of the taillight and the overall presence. Also, these taillights are actually *super* clear, you can see through the housing with the lights off and see each feature, unlike the subpar VHT tint you see people doing on their stock taillights. Did this mainly for style, function is the same. I get what you mean entirely, but if the old man can't see these on a rainy night while pondering something else, he could crash into anyone lol.
iconic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iconic For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-29-2019), JesseG (12-30-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 02:53 AM   #24
iconic

Example
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iconic For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-29-2019), JesseG (12-30-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 03:21 AM   #25
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconic View Post
These taillights actually increase the width of the taillight and the overall presence. Also, these taillights are actually *super* clear, you can see through the housing with the lights off and see each feature, unlike the subpar VHT tint you see people doing on their stock taillights. Did this mainly for style, function is the same. I get what you mean entirely, but if the old man can't see these on a rainy night while pondering something else, he could crash into anyone lol.
Well, there you are, iconic, I was ah getten worried about ya -

I was ah feared some old man in a Saturn slammed into the back of you on a dark night on the New Jersey Turnpike - I have no plans on driving in New Jersey, so, you should be safe -

Good to hear you are OK -

Have a great new year -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:45 PM   #26
iconic

haha you too
The Following User Says Thank You to iconic For This Useful Post: