follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2015, 04:46 AM   #99
akyp

Drives: 2012 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrosty View Post
@P&L Motorsports is on this forum, they might be able to supply that.
I emailed them a while ago and they basically said no. Disappointing but understandable since I think they sell e-tunes as well.
akyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #100
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akyp View Post
@steve99 what would be your opinion on which AVCS maps should be used for this P&L header?

I think it'd be somewhere in between a short runner design such as stock/HKS and a long tube one such as Nameless, but with the added restriction of a cat?

Or should I just run OTS stg 1 AVCS maps?
You would rearly need a pro tuner to put it on a dyno to get best results.
It a different design to what the the oft guys used for their el header maps and its catted.

i would say get shiv to e tune it if you cannot get a local tuner to dyno tune it or unless you can get p&l to e tune with oft it but unlikely as they are ecutek guys i think.

last option would be to use the oft stage 1 map as its for catted el header, that would be safe but not optimal
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
akyp (10-20-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #101
steve99
Banned

Throttle tip-in tweak to start tip-in enrichment at lower throttle delta
Tip-in is similar to accelerator pump on old carburetor cars.

Standard tip-in does not start till throttle delta exceeds 1.5% and the minium tip-in enrichmnt calculated tip in enrichment pulse width exceed 2.4ms. This means to tip-in enrichment till about 8% throttle delta.

Adjustment below will get tip-in started at about 4% throttle delta due lower pulse width activation threshold
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
KoolBRZ (10-30-2015), solidONE (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 12:42 AM   #102
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you. I've already added it to my latest tune. I'm all about getting a better launch. I'll try it tomorrow. I'm always looking for ways to improve a tune.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #103
KoolBRZ

Garage
Tip In mod#2

I tried the tip in mod and felt a bit less power, but it was much smoother. So, I decided to try a mod of my own. See pic below. I lowered the Injector Pulse Width threshold further, from 1.6 to 1.0, then re-scaled the Throttle Tip-In enrichment A and B tables to have a smoother transition from the 1.95 to the 7.81 columns.
Questions for my understanding;
Why are there 5 tables with nothing but zeros in them?
Shouldn't the demand for Tip-In enrichment vary by RPM?
Why is there an RPM table that isn't even being used?
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #104
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
I tried the tip in mod and felt a bit less power, but it was much smoother. So, I decided to try a mod of my own. See pic below. I lowered the Injector Pulse Width threshold further, from 1.6 to 1.0, then re-scaled the Throttle Tip-In enrichment A and B tables to have a smoother transition from the 1.95 to the 7.81 columns.
Your superhuman ability to feel changes in power from these microscopic changes never ceases to amaze.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayno For This Useful Post:
Andrew025 (11-01-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 01:46 AM   #105
KoolBRZ

Garage
Noticing was easy. I noticed what wasn't there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Your superhuman ability to feel changes in power from these microscopic changes never ceases to amaze.
I've had a 4.88 FD before, so I know what you're talking about, it's gearing that makes such a difference. If you changed your FD to 3.10 you would be able to feel more changes in power, but it still wouldn't compare. You see I drive an auto, and, shifting manually it goes directly from gear to gear with no clutching. You simply can't get the same effect with a manual, without breaking the gearbox.
The tip-in change was quite noticeable. Normally when I accelerate briskly and shift manually, my car will do a double or triple rubber-band shift from 2nd-3rd, and from 3rd-4th, but with the tip-in mod it didn't. I usually wince when I rubber-band shift, so I noticed when it didn't happen. It also didn't make the tires squeak when I took off, while my usual tune does. I was thinking it was getting even worse mileage, but when I reloaded my usual tune it sucked gas as bad or even worse. I want to tune it for enough low-end power to squeak the tires from a standing start, yet accelerate smoothly and shift manually without rubber-band after-effects. Rubber-band shifts are a common complaint of automatic owners when they shift manually. I think changes in load limits and tip-in could virtually eliminate the dreaded rubber-band shift. Making shifting manually a lot more fun.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:38 AM   #106
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Their are quite a number of tables with all zero in them, the ignition timing compensation for coolant temps is all zero in stock roms, likely cause the subaru engineers didnt feel it was necessary to populate the tables.

This rom code appears similarar to other late model 32 bit senso subaru ecu like forester XV ect

The tip in is an extra firing of injectors so its just a pulse width ( info in the table properties in romraider)
Yes you can populate those tables i added some extra tip in in 2000-3000 rpm area

Sometimes their are duplicated tables because all this stuff is reverse engineered and it appears that the code complier sometimes puts two or more copies of same table in rom like the closed loop fueling tables A and B.

But sometimes like cranking IPW tables the Ato G tables have different function in the cranking sequence, we rely on the skills of the romraider guys to reverse enginneer these table functions

it appears that those tip in coolant tables are same but no guarantees,, again read the disclaimer at the start of xml romtaider defs
Old 11-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #107
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Quote:
I've had a 4.88 FD before, so I know what you're talking about, it's gearing that makes such a difference. If you changed your FD to 3.10 you would be able to feel more changes in power, but it still wouldn't compare. You see I drive an auto, and, shifting manually it goes directly from gear to gear with no clutching. You simply can't get the same effect with a manual, without breaking the gearbox.
The tip-in change was quite noticeable. Normally when I accelerate briskly and shift manually, my car will do a double or triple rubber-band shift from 2nd-3rd, and from 3rd-4th, but with the tip-in mod it didn't. I usually wince when I rubber-band shift, so I noticed when it didn't happen. It also didn't make the tires squeak when I took off, while my usual tune does. I was thinking it was getting even worse mileage, but when I reloaded my usual tune it sucked gas as bad or even worse. I want to tune it for enough low-end power to squeak the tires from a standing start, yet accelerate smoothly and shift manually without rubber-band after-effects. Rubber-band shifts are a common complaint of automatic owners when they shift manually. I think changes in load limits and tip-in could virtually eliminate the dreaded rubber-band shift. Making shifting manually a lot more fun.
We need to hook up sensors that measure electric impulses from his butt-dyno muscles.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
JB86'd (11-02-2015), phrosty (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #108
KoolBRZ

Garage
Give me some more of this!

Loaded a new experimental tune today. Wasn't sure if it would be experimental, or just mental. It worked like I wanted it to. I have more low end power AND better mileage. I used the tip-in change shown above and I added some smoothed and re-scaled Port injection. I had a theory that Port injection was killing the mileage, so I removed it from the areas I use for cruising at highway speed. Then I smoothed and re-scaled it to make the transitions smoother and to extend up to 7200, and out to 4.0 load, instead of 1.2. It was quite a leap of faith, and I almost reloaded another tune when I pulled out of the driveway with a CEL. It was just a transmission error CEL the OFT causes sometimes so I cleared it and drove on. With weak acceleration it doesn't bog after a shift. At cruising speed I can give it some gas, .6 load, and it actually accelerates in 6th. Open it up and it really moves. I have an ESC though, so it was just waiting for the right tune to really shine.
So to recap; Tip-In gives you immediate power and smoother shifts, Port Injection gives better mileage, and maybe better power IDK.
Attached Images

Last edited by KoolBRZ; 11-02-2015 at 07:12 PM.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #109
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
The only reason I've been adding tip-in enrichment in all my tunes/maps/roms, or what have you, was to attempt to lessen the instances and amplitude of tip in knock that is so common on this car. As far as performance and throttle response, I cannot say I've felt much of a difference. Then again by butt dyno probably isn't quite as sensitive as some of yours are.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #110
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
The only reason I've been adding tip-in enrichment in all my tunes/maps/roms, or what have you, was to attempt to lessen the instances and amplitude of tip in knock that is so common on this car. As far as performance and throttle response, I cannot say I've felt much of a difference. Then again by butt dyno probably isn't quite as sensitive as some of yours are.
+1 All I noticed was no noticeable loss of driveability, not some magical gain.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #111
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you're going too lean on tip in it may feel a little hesitant but you shouldn't have that issue NA. The ESC might do it though.

With the ESC are you able to delay the PI that much safely?

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:31 AM   #112
KoolBRZ

Garage
But none of you are running my AVCS valve timing tables in an automatic. One thing you could notice however is throttle response while cruising. Since that doesn't involve shifting any gears. I also have the Phantom ESC and a long-tube header with a catless exhaust. With the ESC turned off the difference isn't as big, but it is still there.