follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2015, 10:49 PM   #1
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
We are still capable of "humanity"

This simple experiment with a cardboard robot and a request for help has done more to give me hope for humanity that every Facebook like ever clicked. What a clever way to see what people are capable of! Maybe there is hope for the self-impressed low-context hairless apes that dominate this poor planet.

themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to themadscientist For This Useful Post:
Choco (05-16-2015), scary alien (05-15-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 06:19 AM   #2
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,366 Times in 4,132 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
I am going into argument mode in 4,3,2,1 *friendly argument mode engaged*

1/ Humanity is a collective noun (in this case).
2/ Humanity is composed of exceptional do gooders (Doctors without Borders), nasty despots (Pol Pot) and everyone in between.
3/ I do not average "humanity". That is, I do not say "people mostly are good" but take individuals and groups as they come. To paraphrase your statement "What a clever way to see what some people are capable of!"
4/ The example given in the video shows some people doing the "right" thing but their effort was minimal. That is, their help was momentary and did not inconvenience them to any great degree.
5/ I've been drinking and will probably delete my post when reading it sober.

*Disengage disengage disengage*

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (05-19-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #3
VTR
Inactive Member

Drives: N/A
Thanked 4,214 Times in 1,820 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Deeply complex subject "humanity"

As said some are "good" and some are "bad",those defintions based on the fundamental model of doing no harm.

It's largely true that people will assist when they see another human or an animal in distress or help out with certain things when another needs help.

Acts of Kindness occur every day but also acts of unkindness so there's a constant flux between these two on the globe playing out countless billions of times.

Learning how to see what people think when helping like this is valid as much as it is to be looking into the same for anti-social and aberrant actions.
VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:09 AM   #4
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
My use of quotes was not an accident. Many people use that term to describe only acts of kindness, but as has been correctly pointed out, the reality runs the gamut from benevolence to cruelty.

I have a very low expectation of my fellow humans, the "walkers" ambling around, face down, typing useless, often destructive crap, ignoring the world around them and claiming they are "social."

To see average people, first, notice anything was unexpected. To see them assess a little toy beseeching them for assistance and decide to help with no reward evident or expected and go then about their business, or, even more amazing, engage in conversation with another human being, a stranger, and work together to solve a problem that didn't involve clicking a "like" button or doing some mindless "trending" thing so they could feel relevant, just, I'm staggered.

I'm amazed, I'm glad to be demonstrated wrong because if my idea of what people really are were confirmed it would be terrible.

Roll on little robot!
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:41 AM   #5
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
5/ I've been drinking and will probably delete my post when reading it sober.
I tend to think like this whenever im drinking and posting on the forum.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote