follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have so many questions about the BRZ Limited sound system

I am sure some of theses can answered by searching... however I would rather have a nice conversation with you fine people.

I have been looking into the OEM Plus upgrade, and it seems simple enough. I haven't found many reviews on it, and I would love to hear some for people who have experienced it.

I would also like to know if the stock head unit has any pre outs in the back for me to creat my own amp and speak combination. If not, I guess I need to use some sort of line out converter suck as the JL clean sweep? I don't really have much understanding of these nick-nacks.

I would love to run a JL W8-7, I assume it would be far better than the OEM Audio plus subwoofer.

Although I bet the OEM Audio plus upgrade with the JL sub setup would be very nice if that is even possible to combine.

Anyone have anything to say about these thoughts?
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

No takers?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited, 6sp, SWP
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm doing an addition to the stock system right now.

I went with all Rockford Fosgate, a 10 inch P2D4 with a 300-1 amp. Using a signal converter with a 4 gauge wiring kit. RF plugs on the converter and sub, not hard wired in case I want to upgrade more or add to, etc...

I'm also building my own box to go under the stock trunk mat in the spare tire well.
Wonderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm not entirely sure on the answer to the line output question,

The factory audio wiring led me to believe that the amp in the rear of the vehicle only controls 4 of the 8 speakers, the dash driver and tweeter are (to my understanding ATM) driven directly by the head unit. So my plan is to run a new twisted pair for each of the dash speakers to the stock amp location.

I'm hoping I misunderstood the wiring diagram...
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
I'm not entirely sure on the answer to the line output question,

The factory audio wiring led me to believe that the amp in the rear of the vehicle only controls 4 of the 8 speakers, the dash driver and tweeter are (to my understanding ATM) driven directly by the head unit. So my plan is to run a new twisted pair for each of the dash speakers to the stock amp location.

I'm hoping I misunderstood the wiring diagram...
That would be very strange. I hope some one can confirm otherwise.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Skippman

Drives: GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If you go to OEM Audio Plus's website there's a list of local vendor who carry the product. You could find one in your area and go listen to it to decide if that's what you like.
Skippman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Relguy240

Drives: DGM BRZ Lim MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I went with the Audioplus System 400 and am very happy with it. The installation was fairly easy and the harnesses do not require any splicing. I wanted a factory look for the sub and it matches perfect...not a fan of big sub boxes in the trunk. They did a good job of balancing all the factory speakers, and the supplied tweeters are a big improvement. They took the low bass load off the door drivers, so the resonance problem is gone. And although you are still using most of the factory speakers, they are perfectly fine for the mid frequencies. I've done several custom setups in the past, and have found that you can get high-end components, but still end up with a bad sounding system unless you tune it properly, since you will have several drivers whose freq bands overlap. The cost of the system seems high, but a custom made sub enclosure will cost $500-700, so you will end up spending well over a thousand do make your own setup, and it wont be tuned. Hope this helps.
Relguy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I also ordered the OEM Audio 400+ System for a couple of reasons. First, it was made and tuned specifically for our cars. Second, it has a great warranty if installed by a dealer. Third, their customer service is amazing. My system is sitting at the dealer waiting for the car, so it can be installed. Everyone that has done it has been very happy. In the next few months, they are coming out with a Reference Series, which replaces all speakers. For just the difference of the speakers and the firmware update, they will update anyone who has bought the 400+ system. Don't take my word for it, but it should be only about a $500 upgrade for the reference series from the 400+, basing on the difference they have for the tC OEM Audio system.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
jpit

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The small Pioneer amp in the rear only controls the door speakers.

QUOTE=SkullWorks;845022]I'm not entirely sure on the answer to the line output question,

I'm hoping I misunderstood the wiring diagram...[/QUOTE]
jpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited, 6sp, SWP
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relguy240 View Post
The cost of the system seems high, but a custom made sub enclosure will cost $500-700, so you will end up spending well over a thousand do make your own setup, and it wont be tuned. Hope this helps.
$500-700 for a custom bass enclosure? I just built mine, a sealed and tuned box for about 30 bucks of Home Depot supplies.

For everything, line out converter, install kit, sub, amp, bass knob, box, I'm right at $500 bucks. Any decent aftermarket sub comes with specs to build a box which is tuned for that sub. A little research and you can tune the box for exactly how you want it.

I'm all for factory quality, but when it comes to audio, you can do aftermarket for cheaper and better.
Wonderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #11
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

I'm so intrested in that refrence series. I wonder if there will be a even larger amp provided.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #12
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMyHonda View Post
I'm so intrested in that refrence series. I wonder if there will be a even larger amp provided.
My understanding is the amp shipping with the current 400+ systems will be the same amp for the reference series.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
TouchMyHonda (04-07-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
My understanding is the amp shipping with the current 400+ systems will be the same amp for the reference series.
Do you know if it is true that the amp only powers the front door and dash speakers? If that is the case, what the hell is powering the rear speakers hahah.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMyHonda View Post
Do you know if it is true that the amp only powers the front door and dash speakers? If that is the case, what the hell is powering the rear speakers hahah.
The rest of the speakers are powered by internal amps in the head unit, like 99.99% of stock systems out there. Only the door speakers are powered by the external amp, the other dash speakers are also run off the head unit.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spaceywilly For This Useful Post:
TouchMyHonda (04-07-2013)