follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 10-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #29
Rookie84

Drives: '02 GS300, '12 S80 T5, '15 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerocket93 View Post
I installed the cluster into a BRZ with the immobilizer and keyless access. No issue for the past 2 years.
Excellent! Thanks a lot!
Rookie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #30
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
So, anyone have a solid answer on having the dealer match the odometer?
Old 10-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #31
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie84 View Post
Excellent! Thanks a lot!
a brand new cluster you will be ok as long as its never been paired to an ecu/imobiliser

secondhand cluster you may run into issues as its already been paired with an ECU/imobiliser of another car
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Rookie84 (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 03:10 AM   #32
Rookie84

Drives: '02 GS300, '12 S80 T5, '15 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
a brand new cluster you will be ok as long as its never been paired to an ecu/imobiliser

secondhand cluster you may run into issues as its already been paired with an ECU/imobiliser of another car
Ah. So that's what caused problems for some people - using used clusters in their cars. Thanks for the info!
Rookie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:01 AM   #33
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie84 View Post
Ah. So that's what caused probles for some people - using used clusters in their cars. Thanks for the info!
i believe with used clusters your going to need to get dealer involved to sort out the security system issues dash\ecu\imobiliser\keys form security set
Old 08-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #34
axelthrasher

Drives: BRZ, 2 WRXs, 818S, motorcycles, etc
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZoomTX View Post
So, anyone have a solid answer on having the dealer match the odometer?
For this, you can swap the BRZ STI TS gauge face and needles to your old (USDM) cluster. This means you get to keep your same mileage without having to go to the dealer. The problem is that BRZ STI TS cluster ONLY will display in KM/H (the speedo and the LED/LCD display). When you swap to your cluster - you can still at least retain the MPH reading on the LCD/LED display.

NOTE: When you swap the faces the STI numbers/letters no longer show in white - the stock USDM cluster has red LEDs, so it eliminates the white. For me, this is perfect as I prefer a red display at night, rather than a white/red as the STI has.

Quote:

Wrong. Do not spread incorrect information. You can swap to a used cluster without issue.

Quote:
i believe with used clusters your going to need to get dealer involved to sort out the security system issues dash\ecu\imobiliser\keys form security set
Wrong. Do not spread incorrect information. You can swap to a used cluster without issue.
axelthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:06 PM   #35
Trap63

Drives: Brz WRB - Europe LHD
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthrasher View Post
For this, you can swap the BRZ STI TS gauge face and needles to your old (USDM) cluster. This means you get to keep your same mileage without having to go to the dealer. The problem is that BRZ STI TS cluster ONLY will display in KM/H (the speedo and the LED/LCD display). When you swap to your cluster - you can still at least retain the MPH reading on the LCD/LED display.

NOTE: When you swap the faces the STI numbers/letters no longer show in white - the stock USDM cluster has red LEDs, so it eliminates the white. For me, this is perfect as I prefer a red display at night, rather than a white/red as the STI has.

if paired (tS in only with keyless) with previous exchange keyless of entry system you need to perform NBC alignment as mentioned in car's fabric procedure of Subaru. You can only associate new cluster (in keyless data enter) without alignment as it is unpaired and pairing is set on AUTO on NBC when accessing. Misalignment may produce temporary failure and ECU lock. See SSMIII procedure for better understanding.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #36
steve99
Banned

Quote:

dude you need to read the brz\86 repair\service manual arround page 4985, it got the proceedures for pairing in new dash clusters it requires techstream or subaru ssm tool, else car aint going to start.

were talking about swaping the entire cluster assembly not just replacing face plate and guage needles :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Trap63 (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #37
axelthrasher

Quote:
dude you need to read the brz\86 repair\service manual arround page 4985, it got the proceedures for pairing in new dash clusters it requires techstream or subaru ssm tool, else car aint going to start.

were talking about swaping the entire cluster assembly not just replacing face plate and guage needles :-)
I originally replaced my OEM USDM cluster with the USED JDM BRZ TS STI cluster which already had mileage on it. Car started with the entire cluster swapped. My remote entry worked, car locked and unlocked no issue. Started, ran, and drove with no issue. I decided to go back to my USDM insides as I preferred my speedo reading in MPH and I wanted to keep my mileage accurate. Hence why I merely swapped the gauge faceplate.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:58 PM   #38
steve99
Banned

Quote:
I originally replaced my OEM USDM cluster with the USED JDM BRZ TS STI cluster which already had mileage on it. Car started with the entire cluster swapped. My remote entry worked, car locked and unlocked no issue. Started, ran, and drove with no issue. I decided to go back to my USDM insides as I preferred my speedo reading in MPH and I wanted to keep my mileage accurate. Hence why I merely swapped the gauge faceplate.

Thats very strange, i know a couple of guys that got into trouble swaping dash clusters and they had to get dealers involved to get car going again. I wonder if the used jdm cluster you bought had been "unpaired" by the seller, new or unpaired clusters you can swap in without the dealer software tools.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #39
Trap63

Drives: Brz WRB - Europe LHD
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thats very strange, i know a couple of guys that got into trouble swaping dash clusters and they had to get dealers involved to get car going again. I wonder if the used jdm cluster you bought had been "unpaired" by the seller, new or unpaired clusters you can swap in without the dealer software tools.
new cluster must be delivered unpaired and association might be done under key exchange during setup (my situation on EDM ECU and NBC) w/o need to set up with SSMIII.
Sometimes cars are ecu tuned with key code not enabled (no verification is made during start up).....therefore no need to pairing is.
But before any operation, negative on battery is required to be unplugged.
If you buy it in Japan without VIN No. they send you unpaired, but if anyone orders with a VIN No. the cluster might arrive settled with proper VIN car code, so troubles might occour..
Old 08-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #40
axelthrasher

Quote:
I am almost positive that the used JDM cluster wasn't "unpaired." It was somewhat damaged and I purchased it from a Japanese importer. Perhaps what it comes down to is if you try a cluster from the Premium trim in a Limited trim car - that's when you run into issues. But I believe the BRZ TS has the key fob/push button start, meaning it was like trim/model going into same trim/model (as I have Limited with key fob - keyless entry and push button start). Perhaps there would have been an issue if I was trying to put a Premium cluster in my Limited, as then there could be pairing issues.

But I didn't have ANY issue putting the used cluster in, or putting my USDM back in after I removed the JDM cluster. Hopefully these posts help someone clear things up...
The Following User Says Thank You to axelthrasher For This Useful Post:
steve99 (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #41
jaime3

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I didn't know they had an sti cluster for the twins. Where can I get one?
jaime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #42
axelthrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime3 View Post
I didn't know they had an sti cluster for the twins. Where can I get one?
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/44561

Or you can look to buy a used one on Yahoo Japan Auctions or a Japan -> USA importer.