follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
More Spy Shots of the Camouflaged 2014 Lexus IS

More photos of the camouflaged Lexus IS have surfaced by way of UK website GMotors — let’s take it angle-by-angle, starting with the front:

The combination of black vinyl and foam inserts have obscured any real detail, but even so, the Lexus spindle grille is clearly visible:

From the barely visible headlights to the broadest curves, there’s a strong family resemblance to the fourth-generation GS — hardly a surprise, but still notable.

Moving on, let’s look at the side profile along with a side profile of the current model:

I’m sure advanced calculations could say for sure, but the new IS appears larger than the current model, at least from the B-pillar on back. Clearly, there’s something going on with the tiny wheels, perhaps as a technique to disguise the car’s size.

Here’s the final angle:

Beyond the tiny hint of the swooping dash, the only thing visible is just how much the overall shape has being deformed underneath the vinyl, especially with the front end.

Overall, these photos would suggest an evolution of the current IS design, but with so much camouflage, there’s no real point in jumping to any conclusions — best thing to do is jump over to GMotors, check out the full gallery, and report back if you spot any more details.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/09/0...2014-lexus-is/

Last edited by vh_supra26; 05-17-2023 at 06:08 PM.
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Wow, a company actually camouflaged a car for once. That sucks.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
not going to even attempt to DeCamo that..infear of whats really underneath that pigs blanket
Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

2014 Lexus IS Spy Shots

Quote:
Prototypes for the completely redesigned 2014 Lexus IS have been spotted in the U.S., and though they are heavily camouflaged a few key details about the upcoming sedan can be ascertained. We can clearly see elements of the car’s new spindle grille, which looks to be the most aggressive iteration of the corporate Lexus grille we’ve seen thus far.

The overall dimensions of the car haven’t changed much compared to the current IS, though the profile appears much more streamlined. The trailing edge of the roof has been masked with additional padding to hide the new shape, but we know from previous comments made by a Lexus exec that the design will be rather striking.

At the rear, we can see a sharp crease leading from the top of the fender to the trunk lid, as well as what could possibly be new inverted L-shaped tail-lamps inspired by the units on the LF-LC concept car. Beneath these is a pair of fairly conventional oval exhaust tips.

Though there are claims the 2014 IS will utilize a stretched version of Toyota’s rear-wheel drive platform underpinning the Scion FR-S and its Subaru BRZ twin, a more likely scenario would see the new IS ride on a shortened version of the GS’ platform. Giving credence to the latter was the sighting of early test mules for the new IS wearing a similar suspension setup to the one in the GS. This means that the new IS may feature adjustable damping and active rear steering, just like its bigger brother.

As for the powertrain lineup, a new four-cylinder engine is expected to replace the current IS 250’s 2.5-liter V-6, while the new IS 350 should pick up a version of the 306-horsepower 3.5-liter V-6 found in the GS 350. Further down the track a new hybrid model will be launched, as will a high-performance IS F model, though it’s unclear at this point whether it will stick with a V-8 or downsize to a force-fed V-6.

Stay tuned as development progresses, and look for a debut of the 2014 Lexus IS at a major international auto show within the next six months or so.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...s-is-spy-shots
Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

According to ClubLexus this is the face of the new IS.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
DIM

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
2014 Lexus IS

Quote:
2014 Lexus IS Spied Testing in Europe
The all-new 2014 Lexus IS has been spotted testing in Europe as the carmaker continues with its lineup revamp program. The last time we spied the upcoming new IS, the Japanese automaker was testing out the drivetrain and suspension using a mule wearing the modified body of the current-generation car. So this is the first time we've got a look at the new body shape that is seemingly adopting a more aggressive version of the spindle grille as part of the brand's shapely new design language.

The new IS is expected to be based on a shortened version of the larger GS platform. Overall dimensions appear the same but it's expected to have shed a few pounds, which ought to help both performance and fuel economy. The sedan will be the first variant of the IS released, followed by a convertible and a high-performance IS-F model a year later.

Source: http://carbuzz.com/news/2012/11/1/20...urope-7711427/

Can't wait to see more news about this!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Darn camo, can't see anything.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It looks boring to me. I can see some details.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
It looks boring to me. I can see some details.
I agree, looks camryish..... I really hope we are wrong.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Return of the zebra swirl camo!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
BMWs are better drivers cars.. Upcoming 2-series. Exiting. New 3-cylider engines, exiting.
I only know of older people who are into Lexus, and its not because of the driving sensation in terms of balance, handling, driver feedback... etc...

I don't want to sound like a troll, but why would I desire a Lexus IS?
I consider Lexus to be the Japanese Mercedes. Only more reliable and more focus on hybrids.. They are generally pretty boring from my point of view..
Please help me understand.
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #12
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
BMWs are better drivers cars.. Upcoming 2-series. Exiting. New 3-cylider engines, exiting.
I only know of older people who are into Lexus, and its not because of the driving sensation in terms of balance, handling, driver feedback... etc...

I consider Lexus to be the Japanese Mercedes. Only more reliable and more focus on hybrids.. They are generally pretty boring from my point of view..
Toyota pretty much agreed with you, so they created the original IS300 as a BMW 3 series competitor. Good driver's car as the Altezza, but it got Lexus-ified on its arrival in North America. Non-turbo 2JZ, no manual at launch. They were just too conservative to mess with their model. Now I can't say, as I haven't cared about the IS since the first generation.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Because German cars are not the most reliable and have extremely high maintanence maybe?
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Rampage (02-03-2013)
Old 11-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
Lasse

Drives: Avensis 2.2 diesel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Well, i can try... I did have a MY04 IS200 and i did love it. It was so balanced and it did have such a good steering feel... very fun and overall design was unique and stylish. Very good build quality and didn't have any problems. Performance was about the same as 320i. Engine was nice sounding and rev happy but it wasn't that good on fuel. Overall, it was maybe the best drivers car in it's class in that time. Good competitor for 320i for sure. IS250 is more numb, but it was still good and quite fun car to drive. IS350 with F-Sport performance parts does have impressive performance stats. Shame that they never bring it here so i haven't driven it..

Overall Lexus quality and design is unbeatable. Different series is meant to please different people. RX for soccer mom, GS for richer and older men and IS-series is for drivers car and so on.

And i agree, BMW 2-series is second most promising new car after GT86. I want to test drive when it arrives
Lasse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
is350, isf