follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #295
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
I believe it is the braking compound. At a certain temperature these brakes are made to function the best and if it's not at it's operating temperature then it will squeal no matter what you do. HP Plus have optimal operating temp range from 300-600F. I have the stop tech pads and they never squeal.

I remember when I was at an autocross event, everyone was pointing fingers at some person for having excessively squealing brakes. At the end of the day they came to the conclusion he was using the wrong brake pads for his application which was autocross. Basically the brakes weren't getting in the optimal temperature range, thus it will squeal.
Yes, many have said that the compound has to be brought up to temp for optimal performance. I recently lubed every contact point in my calipers/pads and they stopped squealing for a while but it came back. I heard another suggestion that it might be the actual caliper pins holding the pads in place and they need a touch of lubricant. Thoughts?
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:59 PM   #296
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Glad I came in here. My brake squeals have been atrocious on my Brembos. I replaced the pads and added some lubrication to the shims. I got new rotors for the front since that's where most of the squeals are coming from and the rotors look pitted. Since I have new rotors I'll swap them anyways and also apply the anti-squeal stuff you guys recommended. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:01 PM   #297
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Also I had an STI previously and never had it this bad until I went to Hawk pads. I have Akebono pads right now because they're supposed to be quieter than stock, although I wasn't using stock pads anyways.

chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #298
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Glad I came in here. My brake squeals have been atrocious on my Brembos. I replaced the pads and added some lubrication to the shims. I got new rotors for the front since that's where most of the squeals are coming from and the rotors look pitted. Since I have new rotors I'll swap them anyways and also apply the anti-squeal stuff you guys recommended. Thanks!

At least others seem to be having the same issue. I reapplied some anti-squeal today and of course, it did nothing. Probably just need to switch pads. Sigh...
Old 06-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #299
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczynskika View Post
At least others seem to be having the same issue. I reapplied some anti-squeal today and of course, it did nothing. Probably just need to switch pads. Sigh...

When you picked up the brembo said did you get a set of stock pads or just the calipers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #300
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
When you picked up the brembo said did you get a set of stock pads or just the calipers?

Just the calipers.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:14 PM   #301
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Just the calipers.

The pads come with additional shims which to my knowledge are there for sound. Those shims should be transferred over when the pads are changed. Unfortunately Subaru will not sell the shims separately; have to buy the pads. If you look at the drawing for an STi, the shims I'm talking about have an angled cut to them.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #302
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
The pads come with additional shims which to my knowledge are there for sound. Those shims should be transferred over when the pads are changed. Unfortunately Subaru will not sell the shims separately; have to buy the pads. If you look at the drawing for an STi, the shims I'm talking about have an angled cut to them.

Yeah those shims are rather elusive. I've wondered if they would solve the problem. The hawk pads supposedly have anti squeal shim built in but clearly they aren't working in my case.

I assume you're using the shims and are squeal free?

Old 06-22-2016, 12:59 AM   #303
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, many have said that the compound has to be brought up to temp for optimal performance. I recently lubed every contact point in my calipers/pads and they stopped squealing for a while but it came back. I heard another suggestion that it might be the actual caliper pins holding the pads in place and they need a touch of lubricant. Thoughts?
hmm that's so odd. Sorry I may have missed it, but dumb question, what type of rotors do you have? I don't think they would make that big of a deal, but if they are old, I'd say replace them and see if it makes a difference? I have the brembos and like I said I use stop techs and I never had any issues, daily and on track... so I wonder what's truly causing it.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:04 AM   #304
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
hmm that's so odd. Sorry I may have missed it, but dumb question, what type of rotors do you have? I don't think they would make that big of a deal, but if they are old, I'd say replace them and see if it makes a difference? I have the brembos and like I said I use stop techs and I never had any issues, daily and on track... so I wonder what's truly causing it.
I am running DBA T3 4000 rotors that were brand new as of last summer, when I did the retrofit. I chose them as they seemed to be the standard choice of many who had done the retrofit.

Are you using stoptech rotors and pads? Just rotors? Just pads?
Old 06-22-2016, 01:06 AM   #305
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
I am running DBA T3 4000 rotors that were brand new as of last summer, when I did the retrofit. I chose them as they seemed to be the standard choice of many who had done the retrofit.

Are you using stoptech rotors and pads? Just rotors? Just pads?
Nice! DBA rotors are sick, I've always wanted to get them... and Right now I'm just running the stop tech high performance street pads. And then some basic centric standard rotors. both from rockauto.com since the prices are usually the cheapest. I'm on the edge about buying expensive rotors because they'll just get trashed on the track...
Old 06-22-2016, 01:08 AM   #306
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Nice! DBA rotors are sick, I've always wanted to get them... and Right now I'm just running the stop tech high performance street pads. And then some basic centric standard rotors. both from rockauto.com since the prices are usually the cheapest. I'm on the edge about buying expensive rotors because they'll just get trashed on the track...
Yeah they certainly are nice. In the future I would like to move to a lighter weight two-piece. I don't track my car, but I feel you on the cost of consumables.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:18 AM   #307
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

"I recently lubed every contact point in my calipers/pads and they stopped squealing for a while but it came back."

doh! I just missed this. Now it makes sense, I can bet that what's actually causing it is the compound of the pads themselves to not getting up to temp. And, yes absolutely when you put the anti-squeal stuff on it goes away. The reason why the squealing comes back is because there's friction between the brakes and the anti-squeal stuff just gets rubbed off due to friction. But then again, I could just be over simplifying things as it's late here in Chicago lol and I could just be getting tired.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:23 AM   #308
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
"I recently lubed every contact point in my calipers/pads and they stopped squealing for a while but it came back."

doh! I just missed this. Now it makes sense, I can bet that what's actually causing it is the compound of the pads themselves to not getting up to temp. And, yes absolutely when you put the anti-squeal stuff on it goes away. The reason why the squealing comes back is because there's friction between the brakes and the anti-squeal stuff just gets rubbed off due to friction. But then again, I could just be over simplifying things as it's late here in Chicago lol and I could just be getting tired.
The other curious thing is that the squealing is only really bad when I have the brakes hot/up to higher temp and I have the wheel turned... which means that there is some sort of odd contact point causing the noise.

Tags
brakes, caliper, sti, swap