follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 07-20-2015, 10:49 PM   #3571
ksconekiller

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Ride View Post
So basically shoes you plan to throw away?
Well, yeah, pretty much. It's not so bad that you have to throw them out, but you won't be using them for ballroom dancing anymore. I still have the shoes I used for last year, and there is still filler material between the tread blocks of the sole.
ksconekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:40 AM   #3572
solort

Drives: Series 10 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone found out what the spring rates are for the port installed TRD springs? And what changes did you have to make to get the handling back to pre install balance (due to the spring rate and resulting camber changes, esp. rear camber)? Do you feel that the car is faster with the lowering? Just curious....
solort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #3573
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solort View Post
Has anyone found out what the spring rates are for the port installed TRD springs? And what changes did you have to make to get the handling back to pre install balance (due to the spring rate and resulting camber changes, esp. rear camber)? Do you feel that the car is faster with the lowering? Just curious....
I'm not sure we'll ever know the exact rates, at least not until TRD decides to make the information public, someone leaks it, or someone else figures it out somehow. I think it's pretty well known that the springs are supplied from Eibach, likely very similar to their Pro-Kit, but every description of the TRD springs states "TRD-developed proprietary spring rates." Apparently they don't want anyone to know exactly what rates they went with, which sounds like a typical practice when you're part of such a giant company.

That being said, I'm very curious to hear other's impressions of the effect the springs have had on handling.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #3574
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
I'm not sure we'll ever know the exact rates
I have some weight and a ruler if anyone wants to bring the springs over.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:04 AM   #3575
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
This is basically what I was implying when I said, "or someone else figures it out somehow." lol

Old 07-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #3576
TMF

Drives: '14 FRS TT5
Here is an update on the setup and driving experience of my FR-S.

Setup:
Enkei RPF1, 17x7, +42
Bridgestone RE-71R 225/45-17
Koni full replacements
TRD Lowering Springs
TRD Sway Bars
Crash bolts in top hole in front
Tire pressure: 32-33 psi front, and 30-31 rear.
Koni's: half turn from full firm front, half turn from full soft rear. I might try a hair more firm in the front for the next event to help with transitions and slaloms.

Not installed:
-Hawk HP+ pads and new rotor blanks (stock brakes did fairly well)
-Nameless muffled track pipe has been ordered

I probably shouldn't even post this due to all of the controversy, but here are my full alignment specs. A few notes:
-my alignment "guru" loosened both front strut bolts and used a bottle jack on the lug studs (with a wrench on top of the bottle jack to disperse the load) to help shove the top of the hub in as far as possible.
-spare tire, tools, etc where removed and I believe I had 3/4 tank of gas
-there was no driver ballast, however after the alignment was complete, I hopped in the driver's seat. The camber on the driver's side went to -2.1 and the passenger side went to -2.3.
-I compared notes with a local member, and he achieved the same negative camber up front on his BRZ, with just Koni full replacements only. He had his car aligned by the same person.
-My koni full replacements are about 2.5 turns from full soft to full firm. The same local member confirmed the same number of turns on his full koni replacements.

Here are the full specs (please ignore the 2012 impreza...that was just the vehicle that was set in the alignment computer):

Why could our cars be at the more negative camber range? I could attribute it to the use of the bottle jack to ensure the hub is in as far as possible at the top. Perhaps that's what others did to get to that number?

On the Koni # of turns....do people realize there is a fair amount of "play" with the adjuster knob?

Driving experience:

-I had a test n tune on Saturday and an event on Sunday.
-Wow! What a difference compared to my SM STI. The FRS is so much more precise and it really exposes by bad habits. For example, when I thought I was needing to make minor adjustments with my steering angle, the whole car would wiggle. Taught me to be smooth!
-Throttle modulation? Very minimal compared to my STI. In the FRS, it is all about how long you can keep it pinned and how soon you can get back on the gas. On my last couple runs on Sunday, I started experimenting with partial throttle lifts instead of full throttle lifts and/or braking. The FRS really can hold grip.
-Now I need to figure out when oversteer is a good thing, and how to best initiate the oversteer/rotation.

Results:
-I came in 1st in C Street, by a margin of 1.7 seconds, with 4 total drivers is CS.
-I came in 16th overall on Pax times out of 134 drivers.

There is still so much more in this car. I have a Solo Comp school on this coming Saturday and another event on this coming Sunday...can't wait to learn more in this thing!
TMF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TMF For This Useful Post:
Biggins (07-21-2015), ButteR (07-21-2015), Shark_Bait88 (07-21-2015), u/Josh (07-22-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #3577
TMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
PS, I see you're in Iowa. Our next event is actually at Winnebago Industries, Forest City, IA this coming Sunday. PM me if you want more details, there is still plenty of room.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #3578
modernbeat
Vorshlag R&D

Drives: A new one every month
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solort View Post
If someone sends Vorshlag the springs, we will rate them and publish the info for the community.

If after rating the springs, someone can measure the installed height with the car on the ground we can accurately say what the spring rate is at ride height.
Shark_Bait88 (07-21-2015), VADERR (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #3579
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
PS, I see you're in Iowa. Our next event is actually at Winnebago Industries, Forest City, IA this coming Sunday. PM me if you want more details, there is still plenty of room.
Thanks for the heads up, I actually saw that on Facebook. Wish I could.. I'm laid off and my tires are dead. Living cheap until I get a job.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:11 PM   #3580
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
Here is an update on the setup and driving experience of my FR-S.

Setup:
Enkei RPF1, 17x7, +42
Bridgestone RE-71R 225/45-17
Koni full replacements
TRD Lowering Springs
TRD Sway Bars
Crash bolts in top hole in front
Tire pressure: 32-33 psi front, and 30-31 rear.
Koni's: half turn from full firm front, half turn from full soft rear. I might try a hair more firm in the front for the next event to help with transitions and slaloms.

Not installed:
-Hawk HP+ pads and new rotor blanks (stock brakes did fairly well)
-Nameless muffled track pipe has been ordered

I probably shouldn't even post this due to all of the controversy, but here are my full alignment specs. A few notes:
-my alignment "guru" loosened both front strut bolts and used a bottle jack on the lug studs (with a wrench on top of the bottle jack to disperse the load) to help shove the top of the hub in as far as possible.
-spare tire, tools, etc where removed and I believe I had 3/4 tank of gas
-there was no driver ballast, however after the alignment was complete, I hopped in the driver's seat. The camber on the driver's side went to -2.1 and the passenger side went to -2.3.
-I compared notes with a local member, and he achieved the same negative camber up front on his BRZ, with just Koni full replacements only. He had his car aligned by the same person.
-My koni full replacements are about 2.5 turns from full soft to full firm. The same local member confirmed the same number of turns on his full koni replacements.

Here are the full specs (please ignore the 2012 impreza...that was just the vehicle that was set in the alignment computer):

Why could our cars be at the more negative camber range? I could attribute it to the use of the bottle jack to ensure the hub is in as far as possible at the top. Perhaps that's what others did to get to that number?

On the Koni # of turns....do people realize there is a fair amount of "play" with the adjuster knob?

Driving experience:

-I had a test n tune on Saturday and an event on Sunday.
-Wow! What a difference compared to my SM STI. The FRS is so much more precise and it really exposes by bad habits. For example, when I thought I was needing to make minor adjustments with my steering angle, the whole car would wiggle. Taught me to be smooth!
-Throttle modulation? Very minimal compared to my STI. In the FRS, it is all about how long you can keep it pinned and how soon you can get back on the gas. On my last couple runs on Sunday, I started experimenting with partial throttle lifts instead of full throttle lifts and/or braking. The FRS really can hold grip.
-Now I need to figure out when oversteer is a good thing, and how to best initiate the oversteer/rotation.

Results:
-I came in 1st in C Street, by a margin of 1.7 seconds, with 4 total drivers is CS.
-I came in 16th overall on Pax times out of 134 drivers.

There is still so much more in this car. I have a Solo Comp school on this coming Saturday and another event on this coming Sunday...can't wait to learn more in this thing!
Wow! Rear camber is less than front? Typically the rear is around -2.0 instead of the front. You sure the alignment guy didn't get something backwards?
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #3581
TMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post
Wow! Rear camber is less than front? Typically the rear is around -2.0 instead of the front. You sure the alignment guy didn't get something backwards?
Nope, he is the local well trusted alignment guy, been going to him for years and he knows his stuff. It'd be pretty tough to get the front and rear mixed up.

I was a little surprised by the less camber in the rear, since both my legacy and sti had essentially the same rear suspension. The only thing I can contribute it to is the fact that I took out the spare and tools. Multilink suspension gains camber as it compresses, so less weight in rear = less compression = less rear camber...that's my guess.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #3582
Blue Gt

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up Last Sunday's results:

"I came in 1st in C Street, by a margin of 1.7 seconds, with 4 total drivers is CS".

J you spanked the field at DCTC. I was in the other Blue car in C street. I do like the way the car easily recovers from near disaster when over driven. These cars are amazing and your times on Sunday show the true potential. It's like driving a formula car with fenders. DP
Blue Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #3583
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Hey guys what's the go to brake pad these days? HP+? Ferodo?

To add to the alignment discussion here my FR-S with crash bolts and (obviously) TRD springs is -0.9 front left / -1.2 front right (with me in the car) and -2.0 back left / -2.1 back right. Couldn't get anything else out of the front even leaning on them.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:52 PM   #3584
Nm86

Drives: Ultramarine
Garage
Selling a set of RPF1 with Dunlop z2s. It's the wheel for the class. Incase anybody's looking.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91995
Nm86 is offline   Reply With Quote