follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Gill

Drives: none
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S vs 312 hp Camaro?

Saw the fr-s vs z thread and i wanted to know how will the fr-s compete with the heavy camaro?
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
It won't. Nobody will be cross-shopping those two cars, especially once they realize how physically small the FR-S is.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Measurements
Width: 75.5 in.
Height: 54.2 in.
Length: 190.4 in.
Front track: 63.7 in.
Rear track: 64.1 in.
Wheel base: 112.3 in.
Cargo capacity, all seats in place: 11.3 cu.ft.
Maximum towing capacity: 1000 lbs.**
EPA interior volume: 93.0 cu.ft.
Drag Coefficient: .37 Cd
Curb weight: 3780 lbs.
I would avoid the Camaro like the plague, there is no reason a midsize car should weigh that much.

If you think the interior dimensions are any better, the rear leg room is 29.9 inches.

The FR-S is 167inches long, 2700lbs(est from the JDM weight), <51 inches tall, and .27 Drag Coefficient. And there is still 27 inches of rear leg room.

That should answer any questions you have. Now take your public flogging like a man .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #4
Gill

Drives: none
Thanks for an actual reply.
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
Allch Chcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Thanks for an actual reply.
We heavily discourage newbies from posting new TOPICs until they get used to the forum. Saves space and no public backlash from reposting something we have a thread for.

For example, this post could have gone into the misnamed FR-S vs 370z thread since we are talking about comparisons there. You would have gotten some lame responses anyway but the responses would have been more positive than this.

Please be sure to post in the introduction thread and try to stay out of trouble, okay?

And welcome to FT86club!

Quote:
Old 11-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
SHINCHU86

Drives: 98 z28 but i miss my ae86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
IThe FR-S is 167inches long, 2700lbs(est from the JDM weight), <51 inches tall, and .27 Drag Coefficient. And there is still 27 inches of rear leg room.
thanks for that!!!

my wife wants me to get the new camaro (SS, mind you) over the FR-S because "its going to be tiny, you have twins to haul around!" so i can argue that its only 2 inches less rear leg room than the camaro!

dont knock my wife's taste, either. when i met her she owned a 2002 rsx type S, loves G35's and IS250's.

anyway, i remember when they (car and driver?) compared the V6 genisis coupe to the V6 camaro. pretty sure the hyundai won. and if that's the case... yeah. chevy is talking about the next camaro being "smaller and lighter". we shall see...
sure its fast, but it drifts like a boat.
SHINCHU86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
It won't. Nobody will be cross-shopping those two cars, especially once they realize how physically small the FR-S is.
That's not true at all. If they fall into the same price range, which it's pretty much guaranteed they will, people will say "I can get this or this for the money I have."

In fact, I know people that are looking in the low-mid 20s range, and both of these cars are on their interest list.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Allch Chcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINCHU86 View Post
thanks for that!!!

my wife wants me to get the new camaro (SS, mind you) over the FR-S because "its going to be tiny, you have twins to haul around!" so i can argue that its only 2 inches less rear leg room than the camaro!

dont knock my wife's taste, either. when i met her she owned a 2002 rsx type S, loves G35's and IS250's.

anyway, i remember when they (car and driver?) compared the V6 genisis coupe to the V6 camaro. pretty sure the hyundai won. and if that's the case... yeah. chevy is talking about the next camaro being "smaller and lighter". we shall see...
It's 3 inches, I think, not a big difference.(not suggesting anything perverts >.>)

Not knocking your wife's taste. Those are plenty nice cars.

I can't get past that old school style though. I would rather have a more aerodynamic car than an old school style. Plus the 3 american sports coupes are all midsize with the interior dimensions of a sub-compact.

I can hope the next generations are smaller/lighter but they are already cramped to make room for those huge N/A engines. Most likely they will cut a few inches off the length and get back to 180" and cut a couple hundred pounds, still won't make them even close to sub 3100lb range.

Obviously power means nothing to me, so I could care less about the GT/SS when the v6 is way more HP than I want/need. I was looking at an early 90's Mustang because they were hatch, 2850lbs, and had a 4 cylinder. 105HP .

If you like the style and want the power it's kind of silly to even consider the new FT86. I wouldn't if I did. What do you think?

Quote:
Old 11-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
That's not true at all. If they fall into the same price range, which it's pretty much guaranteed they will, people will say "I can get this or this for the money I have."
That simply means those shoppers don't know what they really want at this time. As their shopping gets serious, they'll narrow down the market or vehicle class that fits them. Unless they don't know what they need, in which case they'll just pick whatever their friends tell them to buy or whatever they see in the media.

Simply shopping by price opens the doors for a boatload of cars. Nobody is seriously cross-shopping a base Camry to a MINI Cooper to a base F-150, even though their prices are virtually the same.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Yeah Shin, get what you want, cause in the end you'll kick yourself if you don't. Been there, done that.

Tell your wife that if she wants you to get a Camaro so bad though, you're getting a ZL1.

I believe both Ford and Chevy have said they're going to downsize their next pony cars. I say bring it on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
That simply means those shoppers don't know what they really want at this time. As their shopping gets serious, they'll narrow down the market or vehicle class that fits them. Unless they don't know what they need, in which case they'll just pick whatever their friends tell them to buy or whatever they see in the media.

Simply shopping by price opens the doors for a boatload of cars. Nobody is seriously cross-shopping a base Camry to a MINI Cooper to a base F-150, even though their prices are virtually the same.
Funny story, that. When we sold the Yaris, we were looking at a ton of different cars. The Mini was on that list too. Well, the Clubman. Bought a Camry. Honestly, the only thing that wasn't on the list was a truck. Wife wants a Jetta Sportwagen now, lol. I'm one of the people that apparently doesn't know what I want. The thing is, I'm happy with many different vehicle classes, and so are a lot of people. My top-10 list for next year is all over the grid.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Garage
.37 cd?!?!?!?!! OMG! The Camaro is a flying fat pig!
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
.37 cd?!?!?!?!! OMG! The Camaro is a flying fat pig!
What do you expect, it has square ends, fake vents and bulging fenders lol.

Okay but to be fair, it's not that bad. The Miata is in that ballpark (although it's a convertible, that steeply falling ragtop causes a ton of drag).
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #13
Allch Chcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
What do you expect, it has square ends, fake vents and bulging fenders lol.

Okay but to be fair, it's not that bad. The Miata is in that ballpark (although it's a convertible, that steeply falling ragtop causes a ton of drag).
The Miata is about 0.36 at least for the NA/NB. Which used to be average.

Supposedly the new Mustang is 0.33, but I find that hard to believe.

Quote:
Old 11-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #14
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Remember that the coefficient of drag is only part of the total drag force equation. Frontal area and velocity are relevant too.

Drag Force = 1/2*air density*velocity squared*coefficient of drag*frontal area

So, this means that even if a car has a huge Cd, if its frontal area is low, the total drag will be medium. Since the FR-S has a low Cd and a low frontal area, total drag is low. In the case of the Camaro, it has a medium Cd and a huge frontal area, so it's total drag is quite high.

Put into more tangible terms, the FR-S, roughly calculated with 24 ft^2 frontal area going through 0 deg C air at 75 MPH will result in about 97 pounds of aero drag force. The Camaro, with roughly 28.1 ft^2 frontal area, results in 156 pounds of aero drag force; that's 60% more drag. Wow.

Wanna go fast? At 120 MPH, the FR-S will have about 248 pounds force of aero drag, whereas the Camaro will have 398 pounds of drag.

Last edited by Ryephile; 11-03-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: more accurate dimensions used for calculations
Ryephile is offline   Reply With Quote