follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #855
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
yea I’m expecting a few Eagle scouts.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #856
hinge

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't protest for a steering wheel, even if I was beat by a really small interval.
hinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #857
Imp
Bring out your dead

Drives: '14 BRZ (SSC), '00 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico_rsx View Post
"D. Alternate steering wheels are allowed, provided the outside diameter is not changed by more than one inch from the standard size. Steering wheels with an integral airbag may not be changed."
Allow me to help clarify this rule, as I am not new to it, and have been around since the 90s dealing with this rule.

We have many still older cars (fewer every year) without airbags. They exist. However, more and more cars have them integral.

The 1st part of the rule deals with cars WITHOUT airbags:

Quote:
Alternate steering wheels are allowed, provided the outside diameter is not changed by more than one inch from the standard size.
The 2nd part of the rule deals with cars that have airbags:

Quote:
Steering wheels with an integral airbag may not be changed.
Since these cars have airbags, they are not allowed to be swapped out with anything but the same part numbers (or factory superseded if NLA) It takes some thought, yes. But it's not HARD to understand. If everything had to be spelled out, the rule book would probably be 5-10x the size as it currently is.

And the line about someone not protesting saying "I wouldn't" or "eagle scouts" etc.... That's great and all. But this is a competition of rules and you kind of hope that everyone plays by the same.... moreso that a) this is a spec class, and b) we will be under a microscope. I don't want to be beat by someone that should have an understanding of the rules, but chose to disregard them, moreso on a national level than local. Not an eagle scout by any means... but if you want to play on the national level, in a spec class, you're going to be under greater scrutiny than many other classes.

--kC
DaWorstPlaya (01-28-2018), dowroa (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #858
dowroa
Old Guy

Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
So the leather (or vinyl) on my steering feel is starting to peel. I was thinking of replacing it with a TRD wheel, which carries over the OEM airbag and other components.

Would this be a performance modification and therefore illegal in SSC? Or does it fall under cosmetic?
After @Imp's great explanation of rules and why we have them (in an attempt to be minimal yet comprehensive)...

... something you could do which would be class legal is getting the wheel re-covered, or using the same wheel core getting re-covered.

A new wheel that was not the OEM part would not be.

If you want to play, play. Else, if you don't care about the rules, just run Mod.
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #859
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa View Post
[MENTION=147598]
If you want to play, play. Else, if you don't care about the rules, just run Mod.
lol if I didn't care about the rules would I have asked if it was legal?
Old 01-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #860
dowroa
Old Guy

Quote:
I honestly don't know. I have see crazier.

Still, not really directed at you.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #861
Imp
Bring out your dead

Quote:

You can't play it both ways. Say you care about rules, but then say something like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup
yea I’m expecting a few Eagle scouts.

It's not about being an eagle scout. It's about respecting the other competitors that (also) follow the rules.

--kC
Old 01-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #862
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
You can't play it both ways. Say you care about rules, but then say something like:

It's not about being an eagle scout. It's about respecting the other competitors that (also) follow the rules.

--kC
Got it. Make sure to look for #65 at the local events or at Nats for protest.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #863
dowroa
Old Guy

I am attempting to catch up to the SSC thread again. My apologies if I ask anything redundant that has already been cleared. If so, I will compile it here and PM it to the OP so he could FAQ the first thread, if he deems that useful.

Relative to SSC in Solo, has the following already been established?
  1. SSC is currently and only planned to be SSC, not "SSC1" or "SSC2", as this link leads me to believe: https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-spec-class
  2. All OEM parts must be replaced with the Stage 1 parts and Stage 2 upgrades, as listed above, and I believe clarified in the following, which no longer has 'stage' written anywhere and changed to "Mandatory Parts". It ALL has to be done and you HAVE TO be on the spec tire, or you are illegal for SSC, right? Meaning, a stock car without the modifications could not run in SSC nor a partially upgraded car, correct? https://www.scca.com/downloads/39685...01-08/download
  3. It is expected that wheel rim Mfg is to be free? Meaning, there is not expectation for a Spec Wheel rim to be announced (so I can go buy)?
  4. The Falken Azenis RT-615K+ 225/45/17 is now the spec tire, correct?
  5. Bodywork : Does this mean velox or underbody panels are excluded? I would assume so. Does this mean the 13-16 Limited Blue.Series that has STi body cladding and front lips are excluded or included? "Accessories, gauges, indicators, lights and other appearance, comfort and convenience modifications which have no effect on performance and/ or handling and do not materially reduce the weight of the car are permitted."
  6. What is the weight of the mid-pipe alone? "Weight – minimum, both muffler and midpipe (lbs.): 18"
  7. Whoever added this, you are amazing: "An oil cooler is allowed provided no unauthorized modifications are made to perform the installation"

I believe the rules are pretty clear on this. I am just playing catch-up, and I apologize for this. Just want to ensure my understanding is accurate.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:27 PM   #864
rande

Drives: Spyder, MR2, FRS, Tundra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Will there be an SSCL?
rande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:40 PM   #865
Imp
Bring out your dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rande View Post
Will there be an SSCL?
Looking at the nationals run order for SSC (Thurs/Fri), yes there is SSCL:

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net...pdf?1516892141

--kC
Old 01-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #866
edj

Drives: 2022 Toyota GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yes, there is SSCL

i don't know of any plans for SSC1 but that could come later.

You have to put on all the Stage 1/suspension parts. You may use the OEM 7x17"
wheels instead of the spec 8x17" size.

Wheel mfg is free, wheel just has to weigh 17 lbs with ET40 or greater.

yes, the RT-615K+ is the required tire.

not sure about the body kits. the answer I heard was that if your Twin is legal for DS
then it will be legal for SSC.

the weight of the OEM midpipe was listed somewhere in this thread but I don't remember what it is.

There are plans for an online SSC town hall meeting in February. I would watch
the SCCA website for registration information. That should have the latest info.
The Following User Says Thank You to edj For This Useful Post:
dowroa (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #867
Imp
Bring out your dead

1. SSC is currently and only planned to be SSC, not "SSC1" or "SSC2", as this link leads me to believe: https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-spec-class

Correct. Just SSC at this time that we know of. As always, subject to change in the future.

2. All OEM parts must be replaced with the Stage 1 parts and Stage 2 upgrades, as listed above, and I believe clarified in the following, which no longer has 'stage' written anywhere and changed to "Mandatory Parts". It ALL has to be done and you HAVE TO be on the spec tire, or you are illegal for SSC, right? Meaning, a stock car without the modifications could not run in SSC nor a partially upgraded car, correct? URL="https://www.scca.com/downloads/39685-2018-solo-spec-coupe-2018-01-08/download"]https://www.scca.com/downloads/39685...01-08/download[/URL]

The only stock parts one can retain other than mandatory parts are the stock 17x7 wheels that came on the car (have to have all four) running the mandatory tires.

3. It is expected that wheel rim Mfg is to be free? Meaning, there is not expectation for a Spec Wheel rim to be announced (so I can go buy)?

Correct. Have to be above 17lbs with weights, valve stems, tpms (if you want them installed, not required). Does not include center cap weight. (So you can't add weight via heavy center cap)

4. The Falken Azenis RT-615K+ 225/45/17 is now the spec tire, correct?

Yes.

5. Bodywork : Does this mean velox or underbody panels are excluded? I would assume so.

Must run OEM parts that could be factory installed (not dealer installed).

5.1 Does this mean the 13-16 Limited Blue.Series that has STi body cladding and front lips are excluded or included? "Accessories, gauges, indicators, lights and other appearance, comfort and convenience modifications which have no effect on performance and/ or handling and do not materially reduce the weight of the car are permitted."

SEB has been asked to put out a clarification on the series.blue and other special packages.

6. What is the weight of the mid-pipe alone? "Weight – minimum, both muffler and midpipe (lbs.): 18"

Don't know. All I know is the catback and muffler has to weight 18 lbs total. If you're over that, who cares.

7. Whoever added this, you are amazing: "An oil cooler is allowed provided no unauthorized modifications are made to perform the installation"

Yep. Has zero effect in autox other than added weight. Great for those that also do track days.

--kC
dowroa (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #868
Imp
Bring out your dead

For the FAQ, link to spec tire announcement: https://www.scca.com/articles/200895...tire-announced

--kC
dowroa (01-26-2018)