follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Rocky Mountains / Great Plains

Rocky Mountains / Great Plains CO, IA, KS, MO, MT, ND, NE, SD, WY

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
HazardousWaster

Drives: 2012 BRZ SE LUX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Winterization

Hi all!

I'm coming over to Jackson Hole, WY for a ski season this winter and I'm genuinely thinking about shipping my BRZ over too. I'll need a car when I get there, after all, and it'd be an insane road trip!

I have a considerable amount of experience driving it in snowy conditions in Europe, and some experience driving around the Rockies in Jan/Feb/Mar - have done the Denver/Jackson round-trip twice and a whole bunch around Breckenridge, CO - mostly in rented RAV4-style vehicles but a bit in a Jetta too.

I'm trying to think about what I'll have to be aware of (practical stuff, as opposed to import paperwork):
- obviously I'll need winter tires. I do fit them in Winter here for the Alps, but I'm wondering about whether I can make it to JH on summer tires in mid-December, fit winters, and then change back at the end of the season in April - vs fitting them here and shredding them over 4,500mi of Interstate on the way. Although, as I write this, they'll probably be a good idea for the drive West from NYC so maybe it's just whether or not they survive the journey back.
- I'll need to check that the coolant I buy here is cold-resistant enough
- ditto windscreen washer fluid, although that's far more trivial to replace
- my big question is: How bad does it have to get before you wouldn't use this car at all? There's been some days in JH where the snowploughs can't keep up / aren't fast enough - especially for us early birds. I'm fine on ice, I'm fine on hard pack snow (in this car), but does anybody have any experience driving as it starts to build up and get softer? I've been considering filling the spare wheel well with sandbags...
- anything else I haven't thought of?

Hope to see some of you over there!

Jimbo
HazardousWaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
No chance you can make it on summer tires. If you pick up the car in New York you will absolutely need winter tires from the get go.

As for driving when it gets deep, we have a few Canadien members that can answer that.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazardousWaster View Post
Hi all!

I'm coming over to Jackson Hole, WY for a ski season this winter and I'm genuinely thinking about shipping my BRZ over too. I'll need a car when I get there, after all, and it'd be an insane road trip!

I have a considerable amount of experience driving it in snowy conditions in Europe, and some experience driving around the Rockies in Jan/Feb/Mar - have done the Denver/Jackson round-trip twice and a whole bunch around Breckenridge, CO - mostly in rented RAV4-style vehicles but a bit in a Jetta too.

I'm trying to think about what I'll have to be aware of (practical stuff, as opposed to import paperwork):
- obviously I'll need winter tires. I do fit them in Winter here for the Alps, but I'm wondering about whether I can make it to JH on summer tires in mid-December, fit winters, and then change back at the end of the season in April - vs fitting them here and shredding them over 4,500mi of Interstate on the way. Although, as I write this, they'll probably be a good idea for the drive West from NYC so maybe it's just whether or not they survive the journey back.
- I'll need to check that the coolant I buy here is cold-resistant enough
- ditto windscreen washer fluid, although that's far more trivial to replace
- my big question is: How bad does it have to get before you wouldn't use this car at all? There's been some days in JH where the snowploughs can't keep up / aren't fast enough - especially for us early birds. I'm fine on ice, I'm fine on hard pack snow (in this car), but does anybody have any experience driving as it starts to build up and get softer? I've been considering filling the spare wheel well with sandbags...
- anything else I haven't thought of?

Hope to see some of you over there!

Jimbo
Just get winter tires, and take your time. Don't put sand bags as that would throw off balance bad if you were to get into a slide and you likely wouldn't be able to recover.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
HazardousWaster

Drives: 2012 BRZ SE LUX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks both!

Yes, I pretty much talked myself into winter tyres from the port once I realised what the temperatures would be like.

"take your time" is a nice summary of all bad-weather driving advice
HazardousWaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #5
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Blizzaks and lift it 2 inches on stock springs and shocks. tape up the front and invest in some tokens for the car wash every week.

then send it
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote