follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #71
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I'm comparing a turbo twin, to a turbo supra. and a na supra to a na twin...

Yeah, and I compared an FA20 in an FRS at the SAME boost level as the twin turbo Supra... no other mods on either and FA20 has the internals of a NA motor and the comparison STILL doesn't even compare.

you're looking at about 320crank hp or 265 WHP on the supra weighing many hundreds of lbs more and about 330whp on the FRS at the same boost level weighing several hundred lbs less. It's not even comparable as a platform. Now if you wanna look at both of them truly modified, it's STILL not comparable, because you can do a 2jz swap in the FRS and still be several hundred lbs lighter...

no one is buying a supra without it being modified or having the intention to modify it, but everywhere I look people complain that people are modifying the twins or that they weren't made for this or that.

The twins were made to tune... They are awesome for that...

so go tune them to whatever you want them to do... and have fun... These cars are super fun...no matter what you do.

Jaden
these kinds of perspectives always seem silly and fanboyish to me. youre not comparing platforms at all. you are comparing dyno numbers which dont really mean anything in real life. you have just made an arbitrary comparison that doesnt make sense in the real world. why not compare mod to mod? or dollar to dollar? all that stuff aside, its crazy that you ignore the robustness of the supra, the more modern suspension of the supra, the better balance of the supra, and the larger wheelbase of the supra. the supra was designed to go fast. the frs was not. each design philosophy has pros and cons but you are cherry picking facts to make the frs look like its better in the supras world and i dont think that is the case.

whenever i hear people talk about how cars like the supra, vette, mustang etc feel sluggish and boring compared the frs or miata i figure they dont drive hard over 70 mph where that sluggishness turns into stability and the liveliness of the frs turns into sketchiness.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #72
amilleri

Drives: 2010 Scion xD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just read through a little bit of this thread and I noticed no one mentioned the 94 celica gt4 and that makes me sad.

Just leaving this here

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvv5qGRbEA"]600 bhp celica gt4 awd vs subaru sti vs supra 1020hp - YouTube[/ame]
amilleri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amilleri For This Useful Post:
xia (07-29-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 12:57 AM   #73
FT911

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited CBS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
these kinds of perspectives always seem silly and fanboyish to me. youre not comparing platforms at all. you are comparing dyno numbers which dont really mean anything in real life. you have just made an arbitrary comparison that doesnt make sense in the real world. why not compare mod to mod? or dollar to dollar? all that stuff aside, its crazy that you ignore the robustness of the supra, the more modern suspension of the supra, the better balance of the supra, and the larger wheelbase of the supra. the supra was designed to go fast. the frs was not. each design philosophy has pros and cons but you are cherry picking facts to make the frs look like its better in the supras world and i dont think that is the case.

whenever i hear people talk about how cars like the supra, vette, mustang etc feel sluggish and boring compared the frs or miata i figure they dont drive hard over 70 mph where that sluggishness turns into stability and the liveliness of the frs turns into sketchiness.
Well if you wanted to compare dollar to dollar someone could argue a decent Supra these days goes for around 40k last I checked (or when it was new for that matter). While the 86 goes for 25k. The 15k difference in the right mods to an 86 and the Supra would be left far behind.

Chassis alone. I also believe between the two with similar tires and power the 86 would also take the win.

I'm just playing devil's advocate for the Supra and mixing my opinion in on the second one. I love both cars and though I own a BRZ; I would own a Supra if I had the opportunity at a good deal. Either way I'm still a Porsche guy though.
FT911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #74
Jaylyons1

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ; 1993 Skyline GT-R
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Surprised I didn't see this thread earlier. At least I think I didn't. I have had 2 Supra's. I had a 93.5 NA and a 97 TT to single conversion. I loved the NA. Very well balanced and a blast to drive. The TT was fun as well, but surprisingly, I became more tired of it a lot faster. Granted, it had just under 700 whp, which for me is too much. It just took the fun out of the car.

I have had many cars between the Supra and my BRZ to include my 08 STI, 05 Corvette, 07 335i & 08 M3. None of them kept me entertained for longer than 6 months before I started looking for a replacement. I have had the BRZ for almost 2 years now and I'm still satisfied.

I'd love to find another TT Supra and just do BPU upgrades, but as expensive as it is to buy one in decent condition, it's just not worth it anymore. The cheapest ones you will typically find in good order are $35k, and they quickly shoot up in price all the way to $75k. I'd rather buy a BRZ and a M3 and still pocket $15k.
Jaylyons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaylyons1 For This Useful Post:
abraxis (08-26-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #75
PhoKingCool

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylyons1 View Post
I'd love to find another TT Supra and just do BPU upgrades, but as expensive as it is to buy one in decent condition, it's just not worth it anymore. The cheapest ones you will typically find in good order are $35k, and they quickly shoot up in price all the way to $75k. I'd rather buy a BRZ and a M3 and still pocket $15k.
True and unfortunate. I don't see the hype or demand dying down anytime soon either.
PhoKingCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #76
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
When a similar budget is applied toward perusing either vehicle, you will get two very different cars for the money you invest. 30k will get you a brand new frs/brz with full financing, a warranty, and other perks. When applied to a MKIV you'll be looking at a 100k mi MKIV with basic performance upgrades or an even higher mileage 6 speed. I have seen a few single turbo ones in that price range as-well, but they are not a common occurrence.
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #77
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylyons1 View Post
Surprised I didn't see this thread earlier. At least I think I didn't. I have had 2 Supra's. I had a 93.5 NA and a 97 TT to single conversion. I loved the NA. Very well balanced and a blast to drive. The TT was fun as well, but surprisingly, I became more tired of it a lot faster. Granted, it had just under 700 whp, which for me is too much. It just took the fun out of the car.

I have had many cars between the Supra and my BRZ to include my 08 STI, 05 Corvette, 07 335i & 08 M3. None of them kept me entertained for longer than 6 months before I started looking for a replacement. I have had the BRZ for almost 2 years now and I'm still satisfied.

Quoting because I amazingly also owned a 93 NA and then a 97 TT that I converted to a single. Mine was onyl making 600hp though. Sold it because the Australian laws changed making the mods illegal and the cops were cracking down.

If I found a late model VVTI MKIV for the right price I'd probably buy another one. I wouldn't do a single conversion again though.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #78
Jaylyons1

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ; 1993 Skyline GT-R
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Quoting because I amazingly also owned a 93 NA and then a 97 TT that I converted to a single. Mine was onyl making 600hp though. Sold it because the Australian laws changed making the mods illegal and the cops were cracking down.

If I found a late model VVTI MKIV for the right price I'd probably buy another one. I wouldn't do a single conversion again though.
Small world! I ended up selling mine because I apparently had to go and start a family, which was a terribly choice because I ended up buying other, more expensive cars in it's place, lol.
Jaylyons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaylyons1 For This Useful Post:
Wise (09-16-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 12:16 AM   #79
PeterFRS

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
only if 2JZ swap was legal to be street driven in Canada..anyday i would chop off my arm and leg to have that...
PeterFRS is offline   Reply With Quote