follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #7043
Thatruth2001

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
ESC Impressions
I wanted to share my new experiences with the ESC Phantom Super Charger. I recently picked up a system and installed it this past Friday. This past weekend IadI had an opportunity to truly put this rig to the test because it was one of the first days here without pouring rain! While I did try to experience this in the rain I cannot say it was a true test to its abilities. When on boost I gave myself a small heart attack as the rear end kicked out in second gear. That further discouraged me for even trying. Lets just say its going to be a learning experience. I am currently running the OFT 93 ESC tune and the OFH header which was used in the development of this tune. Its a perfect package Other supporting mods is the air filter, cat back and lighter rims (17.3 lbs). I do not have performance tires.
CONS
-STINK! - After a run I am more likely to experience that skunk smell due to the catless header. It is occurring more often and creating a stronger smell.
-Not in Boost, Stock - The car seems to be missing a bit of its snappy/jolty characteristic between 2 - 5k. This is the typically driving range for me and I am very familiar with its pre-ESC performance. I understand there is to be some loss in power due to the turbine restriction, yet I don’t feel much of the infamous tq dip. I find that strange because I don’t believe the ESC DR feature is working in that rpm range creating power over the dip. I give it gas and she goes at normal speeds for my expectations but I swear its a little less sharp. Maybe I am being super picky but this bugs me nonetheless. This has nothing to do with flashing a tune recently as I drove a good distance today. Either way its going to take time for me to relearn my car as it is essentially a new design.
-Gear change - This is a lot of tq for a lightweight car like the GT86 and it makes me more sensitive to its delivery. When changing from 1st into 2nd with the ESC engaged their is a more difficult transition. No matter how I come off the throttle or adjust the stick shift I feel a dramatic movement when shifting into second. 2nd into 3rd can be slightly harsh but its 1st into 2nd that has the biggest impact. On the highway transitioning from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th there is nothing. Only the immediate tq power delivery that a dyno describes. This car is no longer scared of the highway. Again, its going to take me some more time learning how to drive the car.
Gas mileage - Yes, it does consume more fuel and yes the needle does drops faster. Tbh I dont give a *^%$. I wanted more power and am fine with the consequences. One point to make is that if I stay out of boost and drive casaul the car will consume fuel in the same manner as stock.
-Nervousness - This is a new modification to my car and its very involved. I am commanding of my car more delivery. It was not designed to support this. I am scared about things going wrong just as any sane person would be with their DD. I am not only nervous about the car but worried my ESC could break. There has been several issues since its trip to market. Some issues are small and most are user error. Either way it makes me nervous. This is a more personal con than one reflecting the product. But I am not keeping it out of my review because go to hell.
PROS
-Highways - As mentioned above this car no longer fears highway. When in proper gear and rpm range a simple mash of the throttle will generate enough tq that I feel and observe my car gaining ground. This is significantly different from the cars stock feel while cruising on the highway. I don’t find myself saying. “lets go lets go lets go” until I hit 5 - 7k. From the moment the turbo kicks in I have little time to complain before needing to change gear. Passing cars on the highway inspires a new feeling of confidence. Mash and pass.
-0 - 60 - this car is noticeably faster from 0 - 60. While I am still trying to master the 1st -> 2nd gear transition there's not doubt my car has better pick up. Look at the dyno graph and eyeball that tq curve. The car drives like the dyno describes. You have this massive wave of tq pushing this little car. Brute force launching this cars into the happy, high rpm range and you just let it scream to redline. Coming home today I was able to clsoe the distance between my car and a traffic light that I have a tough time normally making after work. Its at the end of a rotary and I usually find myself going for the green only to come to a halting stop as it changes lights. Today was a different story. That on demand tq gives me the confidence that I can make a distance that I would otherwise not make. Its confidence inspiring. Its also an accident waiting to happen.
-Attitude - I’m no longer trying to snipe Honda Civic Si’s or Acura Integra’s to play with. Maybe it will backfire in my face or maybe I will surprise the driver. Either way I have my eyes set for bigger game.
-Learning to walk again - This car has been transformed. For better or worse is up to the driver to decide but make no doubt this car will require some time to relearn and thats always a good thing. I purchased this kit simply because I was tired of the lack in power the stock gt86 makes. Its a blast to drive and windy roads allow this car to shine. However, throw a highway, hill or even simple driving competition into the mix and I become frustrating longing for more. This kit significantly changes the performance of this car and that is a fun and gratifying learning experience.
I look forward to driving to and from work tomorrow tomorrow. I would go now but I am a few beers deep.. There's still much to learn and opportunities that will make me smile. but... I continue to weigh the pros and the cons of this kit against each other and will ultimately decide its fate. If for some crazy reason its got to go I know a great community willing to jump at the opportunity. Until then the pros are winning.
Will be posting logs soon for review.

Great review and like I mentioned in my review, this is the way the car should have come stock. . . .
Thatruth2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #7044
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatruth2001 View Post
Great review and like I mentioned in my review, this is the way the car should have come stock. . . .
2.0L = 200hp = 100hp/L
2.6L = 260hp -15% loss = 221whp = Super Phantom power level

I would have paid an extra $3000 for a 2.6L

yes I called it a super phantom (electric charger).(tm)
DAEMANO (08-07-2014), raven1231 (08-07-2014), WRB5titch (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #7045
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
I was going to mention this earlier.....anyone getting surging at low rpms(very high engine load numbers at low rpm) should try adjusting their compressor to shot straight into the next pipe before the throttle body and DR sensor.

I found that mine was angled down and it was going weird surging at low rpm. Try and get it straight or even angled up a bit. Also make sure the compressor is pushed in all the way to the same silicon adapter.
I found on my beta installation that it was worth the effort to loosen all of the clamps and take the time to perfectly align the system. If my memory serves me correctly (at my age, it usually doesn't) I picked up 0.3-0.4 psi of boost through a simple realignment.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary in NJ For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (08-07-2014), DAEMANO (08-07-2014), Gums (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #7046
GotBRZ1691

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6smt
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
So last night I went to our 8/6 day meet up for the Bay area. A LOT OF TWINS. we filled a huge mall parking lot. A local engineering / tuning / mechanic shop had their car there with the innovate kit in it. I started asking questions and by the end all I really remember was 263hp / 220 tqs, kit plus install + tune, $6k.

On page 275, there is a great post about the innovate kit that shows good numbers but the price may be on the low end considering labor.

My plan instead, OFT + OFH, and ESC w/ 1.5 conversion, tires and wheels.

To further my plan, I was looking into E85 and I know there are a few people running E85 with their ESC. E85 is available but slightly out of the way for me to get. And by slightly I mean over a bridge and down I-80 which = traffic.

So my question is, is anyone running flex fuel with this kit? What tunes are available fuel wise? 91? 93? and is E85 tune ready yet?
GotBRZ1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #7047
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Yes tunes are available for any fuel short of nitro.
As far as E-85 goes, it's worth it to me to drive 100 miles to pick up 40 gallons at a time.
Just going over a bridge and driving on the highway for a while should be well worth it.
Oh I just noticed where you're from. Now I know what you mean about "a bridge".
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
enwave (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #7048
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBRZ1691 View Post
So last night I went to our 8/6 day meet up for the Bay area. A LOT OF TWINS. we filled a huge mall parking lot. A local engineering / tuning / mechanic shop had their car there with the innovate kit in it. I started asking questions and by the end all I really remember was 263hp / 220 tqs, kit plus install + tune, $6k.

On page 275, there is a great post about the innovate kit that shows good numbers but the price may be on the low end considering labor.

My plan instead, OFT + OFH, and ESC w/ 1.5 conversion, tires and wheels.

To further my plan, I was looking into E85 and I know there are a few people running E85 with their ESC. E85 is available but slightly out of the way for me to get. And by slightly I mean over a bridge and down I-80 which = traffic.

So my question is, is anyone running flex fuel with this kit? What tunes are available fuel wise? 91? 93? and is E85 tune ready yet?
If you want flex fuel you will have to go with Ecutek. A couple members are running ecutek and seem to like the experience so far. By far the most development has been put in to the OpenFlash maps though. Shiv has lots of seat time with the unit and has one on his shop car. He is constantly improving the map and adding feature as new ROM's are available. He also has a direct connection with Rob so you know he is always going to get the latest goodies first, except maybe after me As long as you don't mind flashing back and forth(honestly it take 4 minutes) then it is the most mature tuning option when it comes to Phantom SC.

Shiv and Rob also have a partnership with Miata OpenFlash SC.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #7049
GotBRZ1691

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
If you want flex fuel you will have to go with Ecutek. A couple members are running ecutek and seem to like the experience so far. By far the most development has been put in to the OpenFlash maps though. Shiv has lots of seat time with the unit and has one on his shop car. He is constantly improving the map and adding feature as new ROM's are available. He also has a direct connection with Rob so you know he is always going to get the latest goodies first, except maybe after me As long as you don't mind flashing back and forth(honestly it take 4 minutes) then it is the most mature tuning option when it comes to Phantom SC.

Shiv and Rob also have a partnership with Miata OpenFlash SC.
I definitively want the OFT. Great flexibility with it and when you buy it with the OFH, the combo is around $1,000 which to me is a great deal. I love the JDL header and if I had a money tree I would purchase that one. I might just have a stock pile of E85 but I do not know how my GF would feel if I filled up little as apartment with jerry cans

I can always flash back and forth at the pump
Old 08-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #7050
GotBRZ1691

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Yes tunes are available for any fuel short of nitro.
As far as E-85 goes, it's worth it to me to drive 100 miles to pick up 40 gallons at a time.
Just going over a bridge and driving on the highway for a while should be well worth it.
Oh I just noticed where you're from. Now I know what you mean about "a bridge".
Yeah a real big bridge haha. I may just flash back and forth at the pump from time to time. I normally use up all my fuel before filling again anyways. I put 12.587 gallons in the other day.

If I had a place to store the fuel I would but I live in a 612 sq/ft condo and car parts are already taking up too much room.

How many mpgs less have you been getting per tank? I commute 40 miles to work and 40 miles back, so I have to get gas twice a week already anyways. Just curious.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #7051
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread

Quote:
Yeah a real big bridge haha. I may just flash back and forth at the pump from time to time. I normally use up all my fuel before filling again anyways. I put 12.587 gallons in the other day.

If I had a place to store the fuel I would but I live in a 612 sq/ft condo and car parts are already taking up too much room.

How many mpgs less have you been getting per tank? I commute 40 miles to work and 40 miles back, so I have to get gas twice a week already anyways. Just curious.

MPG depends on your driving style. Taking it easy with E85/ESC I feel like I'm at around 25mpg. No exact science here sadly, I'll observe over the next few days now that I'm back on corn as of yesterday. Was at 32-34mpg on 91.

But it's hard to stay off the pedal once you have the thing installed. It's SO much fun. So my real gas mileage is certainly worse, with no fault but my own.

BTW: I used to live in Cupertino. Do you have to go into the city or leave the city for the E85 station? It's been about six or seven years since I moved out here.
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #7052
GotBRZ1691

Quote:
Originally Posted by enwave View Post
MPG depends on your driving style. Taking it easy with E85/ESC I feel like I'm at around 25mpg. No exact science here sadly, I'll observe over the next few days now that I'm back on corn as of yesterday. Was at 32-34mpg on 91.

But it's hard to stay off the pedal once you have the thing installed. It's SO much fun. So my real gas mileage is certainly worse, with no fault but my own.

BTW: I used to live in Cupertino. Do you have to go into the city or leave the city for the E85 station? It's been about six or seven years since I moved out here.
Technically speaking I live north on San Francisco in Sausalito with my GF. Ive searched online for E85 and the only pump that shows up is in Berkeley. I have yet to drive around and look at gas stations to see if they carry it.

To get Ethanol I would have to go up to San Rafael and cross the Richmond bridge. Or instead on my way home from work, drive down to Berkeley, then cross Richmond Bridge to go home. And once im out of work I just want to be home because I am up at 4am, on the road by 5, work until 3 or 4, then drive home. I would have jumped off a bridge by now if I didnt have the BRZ to in style to and from haha
Old 08-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #7053
reignerabellera

Drives: GTX 86 2014
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
how i wish i could get into robs list of waiting, but living overseas even if im really desperate to pay right away just to be included in the list. got no choice but to just keep reading this thread and just envy you guys. those on the list are already lucky better be glad than those who couldn't get in bcoz cannot accomodate international buyers... pffftttt
reignerabellera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #7054
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread

Yeah that's certainly a drive. I have some car enthusiast buddies that are still out there, and one in the Sausalito area. I'll ask around for you, they won't mind

EDIT: that was a quick few texts back. They say Berkeley is the nearest spot for you unless something has opened up very recently.
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #7055
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

My long term MPG according to my MPG meter has been 29.1 with ESC and 93 oct. I've been driving around for over a week on E-85 NA (my controller has been in the shop) and my average has been 29.0 MPG according to the meter. It doesn't seem possible but those are the facts. My usual routine has always been to drive until the empty light comes on, then get $20 worth of 93 oct. No reason to carry around extra weight. $20 worth lasts an average of 2 days.
Now when the empty light comes on I give it a five gallon jug at a time (about $20 worth of 93 oct.) and it lasts for an average of 2 days.
So it appears that my millage is one tenth of a gallon worse on alcohol. I know that's impossible but facts are facts.
By the way, the last E-85 I got cost $3.05 a gallon and the last 93 oct I got was $3.69. So alcohol is MORE economical. And more powerful. Impossible.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #7056
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
My long term MPG according to my MPG meter has been 29.1 with ESC and 93 oct. I've been driving around for over a week on E-85 NA (my controller has been in the shop) and my average has been 29.0 MPG according to the meter. It doesn't seem possible but those are the facts. My usual routine has always been to drive until the empty light comes on, then get $20 worth of 93 oct. No reason to carry around extra weight. $20 worth lasts an average of 2 days.
Now when the empty light comes on I give it a five gallon jug at a time (about $20 worth of 93 oct.) and it lasts for an average of 2 days.
So it appears that my millage is one tenth of a gallon worse on alcohol. I know that's impossible but facts are facts.
By the way, the last E-85 I got cost $3.05 a gallon and the last 93 oct I got was $3.69. So alcohol is MORE economical. And more powerful. Impossible.
Do a miles/gallons calculation the mileage is no where near the same. The OFT sort of "tricks" the injectors into shooting more fuel, but they think its the same flow rate thus your computer doesn't know the difference. I notice I get about 20 mpg on e85 vs 27 on 93 in all city driving.
stevo585 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive