follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp View Post
Hey everyone. Been reading these forums for quite a while but there's a question I haven't seen discussed so I thought I'd sign up.

How fun do you think this car will be off of the track and on city streets or highways?

I'm asking because I won't get many (if any) chances to take this car to a track. Tires squealing as I drift through an intersection sounds like a fast way to get a ticket . Does the great balance, low Cog, RWD etc give you enjoyment when obeying road laws? All the reviews for this car so far have been on the track and usually involve pushing the car to its limits. If you only notice the perfect balance when drifting, maybe I won't notice the difference between it and a sporty FWD car?

Then again I bet this car would be a absolute blast to drive in the winter when you can blame your sideways movement on the snow!
what you do it you find the limit your tires start squealing like little pigs, and drive 1% below that, makes my every day commute fun , from everything ive read, its really hard to get the car to squeal, when your that far you still have a bit of play room before you start loosing control

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The other great thing about this car is that it doesn't have ridiculously high limits like the higher-horsepower cars with sticky tires do. You can have fun with it at mostly-legal speeds whereas with bigger faster cars, you're seriously at risk of getting arrested if you want to do anything fun! In my S4 for example, everything under 80mph feels painfully slow.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #17
Linseal

Drives: Argento MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Great, now you've done it. Off to search CraigsList again.....

Mine was an '85, Red with the black spoiler/trim. My boss had the "electric blue" one he bought after driving mine.

About 3 years ago there was an '85 on EBay that supposedly had less than 5,000 documented original miles on it, had been in someone's car collection. I drooled over it for days and eventually bid but I jumped out when it got to $10K. Not sure what it eventually went for, I couldn't go look again.
Yeah I had a Datsun 280zx for a few years that was pretty fun, but not even close to the 88 MR2. I'm really hoping my new FR-S gives me the same feeling. The "im bored, im going for a cruise in my fun car" feeling. No radio just car.
Linseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #18
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linseal View Post
Yeah I had a Datsun 280zx for a few years that was pretty fun, but not even close to the 88 MR2. I'm really hoping my new FR-S gives me the same feeling. The "im bored, im going for a cruise in my fun car" feeling. No radio just car.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #19
Saibot

Drives: 01 Toyota Corolla / Porsche 911 C2
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
I'm making note of this so I can come back to you later for driving route suggestions once I have the FR-S!
You want a good route to drive in ontario? Try going from the town of mono mills to everett. Its SOoOooOoOooOooOOoooo FUN even in my civic (non-si)!

if you get stuck behind a slowpoke though you'll be pretttyyy frustrated :p
Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #20
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
I know the OP isn't saying this, but I never understood the "this car is for the track only."

The whole point of the car for me is to enjoy a sporty car on the street. To feel like a race car but not go 200mph down the main drag, or accidentally induce a burnout with just a slight jab of the throttle.

To me the selling points are the size, the seating position/seats, the shifter, and the N/A semi-high revving engine. Those are things I'll use everyday.

But like another poster said, if you're in stop and go traffic, or if you're traveling 100+ miles a day, you probably might want to consider a car with more amenities; a used 3 series, lexus, or maybe even a WRX.

My commute home can be varied. I can take the freeway, or I can take some semi-twisty side roads; I think the car would be perfect for that.
It seems like they have been promoting the fact that this is a tail happy car that can easily be reigned in. That's all well and good but no matter how much you're controlling that drift or tail out action on a public road if a cop sees you expect to get a reckless driving ticket.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah the Mk1 MR2 is ALWAYS fun to drive, no matter what you are doing with it. It connects you to the road like no other car I've driven. I've been trying to get my brother to sell me his, no dice :/

Just looking at it makes me feel good lolol

I'll have my FR-S soon enough though!!!
Quote:
Great, now you've done it. Off to search CraigsList again.....
See look what you did Linseal. I found this, must resist, cannot buy, won't have money for FR-S....

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #22
SeattleBoy21

Drives: 2005 Mustang GT,2013 Scion FR-S Red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
THIS. HERE. No recent car I've bought in the last 10 years has given me this. That cruise in the car, feel connected to your car vibe. I have a theory that as cars became heavier, higher off the ground, longer, etc, that made them less enjoyable. I think that's why the car culture has died compared to what it used to be. I mean I had a 1990 Pontiac Sunbird LE Coupe as one of my first cars. POS. 98 HP engine, but it only weighed 2400 lbs and it was actually FUN TO DRIVE. Imagine that.
SeattleBoy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #23
Linseal

Drives: Argento MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
See look what you did Linseal. I found this, must resist, cannot buy, won't have money for FR-S....
NICE! Before I decided to buy the FR-S I was looking for a MK1 MR2, saw the supercharged ones go as high as 14k on ebay.... crazy! I'm sure the FR-S will be just as fun though (I hope so) haha. I can't wait to go driving in my FR-S with my brother in his Mister Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBoy21 View Post
THIS. HERE. No recent car I've bought in the last 10 years has given me this. That cruise in the car, feel connected to your car vibe. I have a theory that as cars became heavier, higher off the ground, longer, etc, that made them less enjoyable. I think that's why the car culture has died compared to what it used to be. I mean I had a 1990 Pontiac Sunbird LE Coupe as one of my first cars. POS. 98 HP engine, but it only weighed 2400 lbs and it was actually FUN TO DRIVE. Imagine that.
Yeah I know what you mean. I sold my Datsun and got my Scion xA about a year after high school because I needed something more reliable. 8 years later and I'm finally ready and have enough money to fill that void that selling the Datsun left. A car that connects me to the road, and I agree with you, light cars are better at achieving that goal...... 2 more months...
Linseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #24
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have had different experiences from most of you guys. When I drive my RSX like a complete idiot(near limits) on public roads is when it's most fun and dangerous because the roads are unpredictable. The only thing about my RSX that's fun while going slow is the steering feel.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #25
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Due to dallas traffic, i find driving anything here to be fun. Its constantly a game of death, being cut off, slamming on breaks, ricers hauling past you... So to possibly dying in a FRS will make my daily drives beyond exhilarating.
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #26
PACMAN

Drives: 2003 Shitfire (Sunfire)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
I'm making note of this so I can come back to you later for driving route suggestions once I have the FR-S!

Please let me know as well! West-end Torontonian here!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #27
Lo

Drives: Old Saturn
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust View Post
Due to dallas traffic, i find driving anything here to be fun. Its constantly a game of death, being cut off, slamming on breaks, ricers hauling past you... So to possibly dying in a FRS will make my daily drives beyond exhilarating.
^F****** lol
Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #28
xrbvx

Drives: 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The way I see it, if a car handles well in those extreme conditions (racing and such) then it should turn and handle like a dream during normal driving. Taking turns twice as fast as any old FWD with half the effort.
xrbvx is offline   Reply With Quote