follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #29
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
By the time this ships in volume, who knows what the EV marketplace will look like. Right now, the Chevy Bolt is looking more like a real prospect.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #30
pinski
Stole my avy from zGrinch

Drives: 2015 Audi S3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I reserved mine yesterday morning in Raleigh - got in line at about 8:30 with roughly 75 people already in front of me! Line at least doubled behind me.

Watching the unveiling last night, I was pretty pleased! Love that the range is a minimum of 215 miles, and I'm also confident they may be able to increase that a bit. Standard supercharging is also nice, and having the Autopilot hardware standard is solid too. Hopefully that results in the option to enable the Autopilot to be a little less than the current ask of $2500.

Regarding design, it's not as beautiful as the Model S, but I'm glad they did away with the vestigial grille. For that reason, I don't expect its look to be widely embraced, but I think it's the tip of the iceberg in this regard, so the public had better get used to it!

If they can churn them out quickly and on time and keep quality control in check, I think it'll be a huge win.

2015 Audi /S3 | Panther Black | DSG
Gone...2014 BRZ, 2010 Lexus IS F-Sport, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1997 Mustang GT
pinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #31
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wife saw it this morning... we put in a reservation for one

I dig the standard auto pilot - if it turns out to be a $25k 215 mile self driving vessel in 2 years, I'll bite.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:52 PM   #32
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Looks like a Mazda3 fastback. Hope they pull it off.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #33
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Too much hype, methinks. Plus very few will end up with the full fed discount.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #34
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tesla Model 3: What We Know And Still Don't Know

Quote:
If you're one of the people who put $1,000 for the Tesla Model 3, there's a very good chance the reveal party cemented your decision to take Elon Musk up on his electric car for the masses. OK, the masses that tend to buy compact luxury sedans.

To recap Thursday night's unveil, the Model 3 is claimed to start appearing on roads by the end of 2017. The most basic model will cost $35,000 before government incentives for electric vehicles, will have an EPA-estimated range of 215 miles and go from 0 to 60 mph in about six seconds.

Musk said there would, however, subsequent versions of the Audi A4-sized Model 3 that would deliver more range and more performance – probably evidenced by the three vehicles on the stage in Los Angeles with distinct details.

And I think it looks sharp, a great refinement over the Model S formula to be familiar as a Tesla, but without being a complete copy.

But there are plenty of unanswered questions that we can ponder for the next 18 months or so.

How production ready are the cars we saw?
Musk has said the goal was to show the Model 3 as close to production-ready as possible. So don't expect the overall shape to change by the time the cars go into normal production. All cars will get that glass roof and it's expected all cars will have that new interior that lacks a center instrument panel. The Model 3, according to Musk, has a slimmed-down dashboard to allow for better interior packaging, meaning the only place you're likely to see the speedometer is in that central screen. I wonder how the Department of Transportation is OK with that, but there are many different regulations regarding vital driver information.

But it's worth throwing out there that all Model 3s are said to come with Autopilot capabilities, which sounds like hinting of much stronger autonomous driving abilities than the current Teslas. A lot could change by the 2018 model year.

What does $35,000 really get you?
Again, 215 miles on a charge and 0-60 in six seconds to start. But both the Model S and Model X offer multiple levels of power and drivetrain configuration, in addition to color, wheel, leather and suspension upgrades. All-wheel drive will be an option, but for how much?

Consider the 2017 Audi A4 starts off at $38,000 with front-wheel drive and a 0-60 time of right around six seconds. Load it up with Quattro and the sport package and fancy speakers and you're at $55,000. The BMW 328i and Mercedes-Benz C300 can go higher. I'd bet on a nicely equipped Model 3 to follow suit.

When will it really be available?
If you're just reading this and deciding whether to put your $1,000 reservation in at Tesla, you're almost certainly not getting your Model 3 in 2017. And at this rate, I'd wonder if you're going to get it in 2018, either. At this time of writing, there are more than 133,000 reservations for the car. Admittedly, reservations don't necessarily translate into sales, and there could be numerous orphaned Model 3s in early 2018 that could be snapped up by quick shoppers.

But the delivery time for many customers is important to know because of the government incentives for electric cars that are supposed to eventually sunset. As reported by Wired and other publications, once Tesla sells 200,000 electric vehicles their customers are no longer eligible for a $7,500 tax credit to subsidize the purchase price of the car. Individual states have similar restrictions on their own tax credits. It's difficult to know for sure, but Tesla is well on its way to that 200,000 mark based on Model S sales, and the amount of Model X sales that could be reached by the end of 2017 mean that customers very far down on the reservation list might be paying far more for a Model 3 by the time their name is called.

How good is the Chevy Bolt?
The Chevy Bolt EV was launched to much fanfare less than three months ago at the Consumer Electronics Show. General Motors beat Tesla to the show stage and will beat it to the showroom with the $30,000, 200-ish miles of range Bolt when it's expected to go on sale by the end of 2016. That gives the Bolt a year, maybe more, to establish itself as the EV technology you can have today and paint the Tesla Model 3 as niche vehicle.

That said, the Model 3 makes the Bolt look like an absolute dork by comparison. Where the Bolt deals in a somewhat typical shape covering sophisticated technology, the Tesla goes all out to let people know it's on the cutting edge of finding new ways to design a car. On paper, Tesla is Bernie Sanders to Chevrolet's Hillary Clinton.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Electric cars that fit most lifestyles are coming relatively soon. And it's safe to say many people are excited about them.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/04/tes...and-still.html

vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
Mr.ac (04-04-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #35
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Too much hype, methinks. Plus very few will end up with the full fed discount.
i agree way too much hype for an affordable electric car......death to all petrol engines
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:23 AM   #36
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
*dons cynic cap*
Where does the power for these come from? I don't know the answer to this in the U.S. but here it is probable from coal. Woooo clean electric cars! No, not really.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:13 AM   #37
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
*dons cynic cap*
Where does the power for these come from? I don't know the answer to this in the U.S. but here it is probable from coal. Woooo clean electric cars! No, not really.
Natural gas, more and more each day. Coal is dying in the US.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #38
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Natural gas, more and more each day. Coal is dying in the US.
Or in the case of much of the northern US, hydroelectricity which Canada provides them (and then we buy it back for 6 times the price but that is a whole different issue)
daiheadjai (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #39
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
*dons cynic cap*
It's easier to regulate and keep a hundred coal plants clean containing and storing the emissions so they don't spill into the air than a million tailpipes.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #40
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
As much as I think Tesla is overhyped as the environmental saviour (mostly by their owners), I can't deny that EVs are more efficient than ICE vehicles (watched an Engineering Explained video, suggesting 30% of the ICE's energy goes out the tailpipe, plus frictional losses etc).
Might be a good candidate for the Monday-Friday commuter car (let's face it: most commutes suck anyway), saving more budget for a gas-powered weekend toy.

If they make an EV which is fun to drive as well, then I'll hop aboard.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:05 AM   #41
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
As much as I think Tesla is overhyped as the environmental saviour (mostly by their owners), I can't deny that EVs are more efficient than ICE vehicles (watched an Engineering Explained video, suggesting 30% of the ICE's energy goes out the tailpipe, plus frictional losses etc).
Might be a good candidate for the Monday-Friday commuter car (let's face it: most commutes suck anyway), saving more budget for a gas-powered weekend toy.

If they make an EV which is fun to drive as well, then I'll hop aboard.
The Model S, Spark EV, and Fiat 500e are all fun to drive. The Leaf and Kia Soul EV are not at all. Haven't driven any others. The Model S is more rocket ship than twisties car. It's just too damn fat to enjoy on a canyon road. The Spark EV and 500e are fun in the twisties.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:28 AM   #42
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The Model S, Spark EV, and Fiat 500e are all fun to drive. The Leaf and Kia Soul EV are not at all. Haven't driven any others. The Model S is more rocket ship than twisties car. It's just too damn fat to enjoy on a canyon road. The Spark EV and 500e are fun in the twisties.
I would agree that its weight makes it less agile, but the low center of gravity and stiffness make it exceptionally well handling for its weight compared to other cars in the same class.
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote